Introspect : Bono & Opera II: After Modena *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/introspect/bonoopera2thumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Debbie Kreuser

In my first piece (Bono & Opera: Whither ?The Fly??), I alluded to the idea of change - possible change in Bono's musical direction, possible change in Bono's life direction. For now, we all have our rock star; U2 is still a vital force in rock music, and we all look forward to the release of their new CD which is due to be released before the beginning of next year.

Bono has given no indication that he is ready to hang up the leather or the shades. But one day he will. One day, there will be no more U2 concerts to look forward to (or to fondly remember).

The question is: will we (U2 fans and followers) be willing and ready to accept these changes? Will we be eagerly anticipating the next phase in their (U2's) individual life journeys or will we cling to our self-serving images of who we want them to be?

These are difficult questions to ask, but on the occasion of U2's 25th anniversary as a band, and after Bono's near-perfect operatic performance at the Pavarotti&Friends concert in Modena, the time has come to ask ourselves these important questions.

bonoopera2.jpg

(Photo: Alberto Pellaschiar/AP)

I have often wrestled with my feelings over the years as I have seen more and more people attempt to hold Bono into some rigid idea of who they wanted him to be (hero, teacher, counselor, confessor, lover, friend, etc.), instead of simply allowing him to be. I truly believe that we do not know Bono as well as we think we do. He is a far more talented, intelligent, thoughtful and perceptive man than The Fly, MacPhisto, Alton Dalton (my favorite) or any of the other stage personas he has shown us.

Are we, his fans and followers, ready to open our minds enough to allow yet another Bono to emerge if and when he chooses - which may not fit our rock star image of him?

I know many of us will, for we have been with U2 and Bono from the start, and have seen their various maturations over the years. We have been, and will continue to be willing to follow them down whatever life paths they take. But some of us will not want to accept these changes, and will try to chain themselves to U2's past. But it will not work because U2 [and Bono] have always done things their way and no earthly force will ever be able to change this. (Thank God!)

I encourage all U2 fans and followers to prepare for the future and to make our choices now whether we will walk on through whatever changes U2 and Bono may experience (musical and/or personal) or whether we will get stuck in a moment that we won't be willing to get out of.

For me, I choose the first option!

Last edited by a moderator:
beautiful article and I will choose to run with the firt option as well, tho it will be hard to take a first but life is all about change and alas everyone is constantly changing so therefore U2 must change as well.

Hi, I'm Monica, from Venezuela, I'm 15 years old. I would like to know if U2 will come to my country.

Best wishes from Venezuela!

norgemc said:
Hi, I'm Monica, from Venezuela, I'm 15 years old. I would like to know if U2 will come to my country.

Best wishes from Venezuela!

Hi there! :wave:

Currently we do not know any U2 tour dates - but watch out for the band's tour announcement in the Spring of 2004!

Back
Top Bottom