Lincoln Memorial, January 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jeanie you were right!

BONO TO APPEAR ON OPRAH'S INAUGURATION SPECIAL
January 16, 2009
posted by: Tassoula

Oprah Winfrey is taking her show on the road to participate in
President-Elect Obama's celebration in Washington DC.

As a result, on Monday's show our favorite front-man will appear
alongside Will.i.am, Faith Hill, Seal, David Foster and Mary J. Blige,
to perform a rand new-song" to commemorate the historic occasion.

For additional details, visit the Entertainment Tonight blog:

http://www.etonline .com/news/ 2009/01/69727/

:hyper:

We have to figure this meet up thing. Before or after, where and what time. I think after is better because everyone is getting there at different times.

I'm off to a ball that night - but yeah - it'd be cool to meet folks who are as diehard as Other interference fans.

I actually think the no backpacks rule is really lame, of course, I'm disabled and need to have access to meds. if you do an google news search - type disabled inaugural access - there is an AP article published thursday - I'm the 35 yr old guy quoted...

but i also just got a great flight to dc this evening...

uppitycrip / Mike R.

btw - the first 200 feet in front of the stage are seated sections (possibly reserved). There is limited standing room to the back/side of this area, but most people will be down around the reflecting pool at a lower level, and there won't be a sight line to the stage from most of that area - hence the jumbotrons.

I should add that there might be room for a "B" stage behind the seats, but when I stopped by today a drum kit was set up in front of the seats.

Well we'll have to try to get as close as possible. 200 feet doesn't seem like it is that far.

as long as there are jumbtrons I don't care how close we get. I just want to be there that's all.

neil, what is the best metro to get off at in your opinion?

thanks also for the info about the seats in front of the stage.. Maybe these are for the VIPs.

as long as there are jumbtrons I don't care how close we get. I just want to be there that's all.

The only think I'm wondering about with the jumbotrons are the trees. That section of the mall has lots of trees. I wonder it that'll affect the viewing area.

I still think that the best Metro exit is Foggy Bottom, unless there are some sort of pedestrian barriers. I can only imagine that all the out-of-towners will flock to the Smitsonian station, so that'll likely be a zoo.

The only think I'm wondering about with the jumbotrons are the trees. That section of the mall has lots of trees. I wonder it that'll affect the viewing area.

I still think that the best Metro exit is Foggy Bottom, unless there are some sort of pedestrian barriers. I can only imagine that all the out-of-towners will flock to the Smitsonian station, so that'll likely be a zoo.

yeah, hopefully this isn't the case with the jumbtrons and they took that into account when putting them up. Neil, did you see where these were at?

Sounds like foggy bottom is the stop we should get off at.

I went to greenbelt station today and bought our one day passes for tomorrow.

and if I haven't mentioned this before. Kimla is coming with us (u2forlife) too. She should be here in an hour. She drove down from NYC. So it will be the four of us coming in.:hyper:

I am so excited to see you all!

So what time should we meet up afterwards? 6pm and where should we meet?

Mia, are you still going to the brickskeller? According to their website, it doesn't open until 6. Should we find another place for our group to meet earlier and then you can continue on to there afterwards? Other ideas?

I think it would probably be easier if we went somewhere walking distance away (even if a long walk), because with the crush to the subway immediately after the show, it will probably take some time until we get anywhere. By walking and hanging out in a bar or restaurant hopefully the crowds will diffuse by the time we want to leave.

Thoughts?

- washingtonpost.com
has jumbotron locations for the inauguration - the concert's might be different. I don't remember seeing more than a couple.

I will probably try Smithsonian - less navigation required through the park, and it looks like a shorter walk (19th st. is the closest entrance from gw). Pedestrian barriers are set up around the Mall. 200-300 feet from stage is the best case scenario, and probably only a few hundred people would get that close based on today's setup. There were at least 60 seated rows set up, with a large empty section behind them (possibly for more seats or another stage).

eta- the DDOT map shows 6 jumbotron locations around the reflecting pool.

My train home leaves at 6:20.

Then we definitely need to meet up as soon as we can after the show! Do you think there is a soundboard somewhere? We could all agree to meet at the soundboard after the show and go from there?

I am going to be wearing this coat (and this is a pic of what cydewaze and I look like for anyone who hasn't met us):

img_2285.jpg

:)

I have no idea. I don't even know what's in the area. It should be done by 4:30, so I have till 6 to be back to union station.

btw - the sound boards, etc are located in the front I think, away from where the general public can gather.

Oh, how annoying! Maybe we can just meet as far to the front as we can get afterwards? Or Amy was suggesting we could meet at Tony Chang's Mongolian Restaurant in Chinatown afterwards - just when everyone can make it.

Hopefully enough of us have each other's phone #s (and check this thread) before tomorrow that we can set this up!

:wave:

Back
Top Bottom