(04-24-2005) World Leader Pretend -- Dallas Observer*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nuke126 said:
the fans don't want to hear Bono's misguided views on the world, we want to hear kick ass genious music.

It's those views which have informed and shaped that "kick ass" music from the outset. Have you never listened to the lyrics? Have you no sense of the moral convictions that have driven this band from the very beginning? Someone's "misguided", but I don't think it's the band.

I thought reporters are supposed to report the news not report and opinion of what they think the band is all about oh well...I find it quite funny to read that article myself...in the end people will show up for the music and let me say in my opinion the concert was excellent....I am sorry but people dont generally get into U2 for their politics, they get into them because they like the music, and if he no longer likes the music thats fine...but it certainly shouldnt be in a newspaper.

Well, in my opinion, Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop are my fav.albums. "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me anyone?

So we all have different tastes in U2.

This guy is another one of those "elite underground" music lovers who thinks he has some kind of authoritive opinion about music. Like there is some secret criteria he knows about, b/c he's worked at the record shop his whole life. Whatever. If millions of U2 fans like the music, then it's good music. That's the criteria.

U2's music in universal. Global. It's a revolution.

U2 is the greatest band ever, hands down, nothing even gets close to it. Can I repeat that. Nothing..... comes close......

(I suppose this guy probably thinks George Lucas and Star Wars sucks too. )

^ Sup yoshitownsend62? I'm from Arlington, TX. Great post! The problem with guys like the one who wrote the article is that they see U2 (Bono) as in just one state in their mind. They feel U2 should never change, the music should never change. Yet of course, U2 would be made fun of if all their albums since JT sounded like JT.

I'm still amazed that english majors can someone fool people into getting jobs as music critics for a "newspaper." Funny stuff.

So people, don't get pissed off about this type of stuff, no one who likes U2 will care. Plus, I'm sure this dude is going to the Dallas show for free anyways.

nuke126 said:
i feel most of the article is true (at least in my opinion). u2 are not the band they always were. they are playing it safe and trying to be everyone's buddy. i really wish they'd just act like a real rock band again and get back to the music and shut up about every world event. the fans don't want to hear Bono's misguided views on the world, we want to hear kick ass genious music.

How much do you know about this bands history? Do you realize that BONO has always voiced some of his views about the world since the early 80s?

He is actually believing that Bono said that "Best band in the world"-thing completely serious (As we all know it´s just an expression of the feeling every band have when they are ready to go off with an new album...).
I just don´t think he sees the irony of U2.

I think this article (I don´t think the author would agree...), shows that U2 really are the greatest rock band (nowadays). Would we se a "fucking" article with "fucking" Franz Ferdinand "fucking" sucks in one "fucking" big Texas newspaper?

(And as a footnote: I don´t think you can actually question the deep commitment to Bono´s humanitarian work. We talk about a rockstar who actually moved in to a little african hospital for many months without a single camera present....)

The author is in his full right to like U2s older music better. But the thing is, More people are probably gonna by HTAAB than any other U2 album in history. I don´t think there are many bands or people 44/45+ who have ever sold 10 million albums.

And the last "fucking" point. A rock band without any political wievpoints are not a rock band --> that is a pop band... Would we really wanna hear "Bullet the blue sky" as "Baby, your beautiful like the blue skies"???

In my opinion U2 minus politics is a bit like Bon Jovi. Still can be very good, but not great. There is something missing. And these legends from Liverpool. There´s probably just Ringo Starr who isn´t much of a political figure in that band. But he´s just 1/2 a beatle anyway...

Last edited:
Oh ... "U2 was so much better when I used to like them". Blah blah blah. "And I'm so old that I remember WAR being released". Blah blah blah. "The new fans must be stupid". Blah blah blah.

Blah

Blah

Blah

Bye

Last edited:
well, what can i say? joe watson is a numb nut!
he's flat-out wrong. and even wrong for mentioning george W.
hey joe, you're in texas buddy! 60% republican. better watch your mouth man.

david said:
Why is such a horrible article even posted in the news section of this website?

Because we arent U2.com. We offer up what's out there for U2 fans, not a blinded illusion. The reality is that there are not only a lot of people that feel the way the author does, but many fans as well. It is also something worth discussing among fans...which is obviously happening here.

He has every right to write an article like that, but I can't believe that newspaper has put it in print... It's nowhere near objective (and yes, I know most of the news isn't objective, but this is the other end).

Being here in Dallas let me clear up a couple of possible misconceptions out there.

1. The Dallas Observer is a free newspaper that reports on music, art, etc. Most major cities have these...you find them in independent record stores and the like. So this is not "the" Dallas newspaper by any means.

2. That indie music scene [probably like most in the country] hate U2 for being popular, selling out arenas, etc. That's always been the case with any band who breaks out.

Now that I've said that...in a way he brings us some valid points but his arguments aren't sound. True, U2 version 2005 is different are more 'safe' that Joshua Tree or Zoo TV U2. But, number 1...they are in their mid-forties. Secondly, Bono is doing a lot of work for the third world and meeting presidents and prime ministers. Unfortunately or not, I think he has to play it same in some ways in order for his message to be taken seriously not only by world leaders but by average people that don't care about U2 but could be drawn in to support his campaigns.

In the end, the music is still great but if the rock star attitude fades a little in order to literally, save the world...then that's ok with me.

I think there are alot of valid points in this article
I was watching the best of 1990-2000 DVD last night and I was struck by how much U2 have sold out.
They were inventive and brilliant in the early 90's and that for me will always be their peak.
The extravagance of Zoo TV (which I regard as the greatest Concert spectacle ever) and Popmart were superb.
They were an enigma and fresh.
Now they just seem to be going thru the emotions and rehashing riffs.
Adam barely breaks sweat at a concert and is motionless.
The new stage design is too minimal and lacklustre.
The Apple tie in was disgusting and Bono is repeating himself far too often in relation to world poverty .
I think the rest of the band are becoming tedious of his constant rantings.
If you keep on repeating yourself ,people grow tired of what you are saying and it defeats the purpose.
I still like the music but they are a pale shadow of themselves.

Last edited:
corner said:
So how long has Jick been writing for the Dallas Observer? :p

LOL!! You beat me to it!! I wonderered where Jick got to, this looks just like one of his posts!!

No 99% of it is NOT true actually! What a load of bollox you talk, whoever said that!!!

And corner, you make me laugh again!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fano said:
I think there are alot of valid points in this article
I was watching the best of 1990-2000 DVD last night and I was struck by how much U2 have sold out.
They were inventive and brilliant in the early 90's and that for me will always be their peak.
The extravagance of Zoo TV (which I regard as the greatest Concert spectacle ever) and Popmart were superb.
They were an enigma and fresh.
Now they just seem to be going thru the emotions and rehashing riffs.
Adam barely breaks sweat at a concert and is motionless.
The new stage design is too minimal and lacklustre.
The Apple tie in was disgusting and Bono is repeating himself far too often in relation to world poverty .
I think the rest of the band are becoming tedious of his constant rantings.
If you keep on repeating yourself ,people grow tired of what you are saying and it defeats the purpose.
I still like the music but they are a pale shadow of themselves.

I think there are few or none valid points in this article
I was watching the best of 1990-2000 DVD couple of weeks ago and I was struck by how much U2 have developed from what they wanted to be and have become. Dreaming it all out loud.
They were inventive and brilliant in the early 90's and they are even more brilliant now.
The extravagance of Zoo TV and Popmart were superb, but I love it when U2 come down to earth and closer to their fans.
They are an enigma and fresh.
Now they play with emotions and as better musicians.
Adam uses a lot of energy to greet the fans at concert. Smiling and giving every fan in front of him a really great time.
The new stage design is minimal, giving the fans the music up close.
The Apple tie was genious. They didn't take any money and Bono is repeating himself in relation to world poverty, because people doesn't seem to learn. But he still goes on with maturity and energy.
I think the rest of the band are impressed of his work (they've said so).
If you keep on repeating yourself, maybe people will grow up and listen, even though some politicians refuse to listen.
I love the music, because it kicks the past works ass.

Last edited:
hahhaha.
I think the article is funny.
Entertainment journalists are full of shit. (no matter if the article is in support or is against)
I love it.

I love the music, because it kicks the past works ass.
Are you saying so that HTDAAB is better than 2 of the top 10 albums of all time 'Achtung Baby' and 'The Joshua Tree'
Kicks its ass does it ??
Time will see

I don't care what time will tell. I like the new album better. What others say about it will not influence my view on HTDAAB. Musically HTDAAB is probably a whole lot better.

I just get tired of the "old fans" bashing todays U2, when there are a lot of new fans that feel the same way today as "they" did during JT or AB. I'm not a new U2 fan myself - just in the middle there. But I certainly have much more fun this time around.

ElectricalVoice said:
I don't care what time will tell. I like the new album better. What others say about it will not influence my view on HTDAAB. Musically HTDAAB is probably a whole lot better.

I just get tired of the "old fans" bashing todays U2, when there are a lot of new fans that feel the same way today as "they" did during JT or AB. I'm not a new U2 fan myself - just in the middle there. But I certainly have much more fun this time around.

Well said!

Musically HTDAAB is probably a whole lot better

Thats nonsense M8
Achtung Baby is a masterpiece.
The variety of the songs,the darkness of the sound,the timelessness of it.
There isnt a bad song on it
HTDAAB is workmanlike and has some good songs but to say it is better than AB is frankly insane.
Everyone can have their own opinion though.:|

Last edited:
I think he makes very bad points for his case.

Bono never said he wants to be president of the World bank, the media hyped that story.

Late 80's and early 90's was a time of U2's biggest hits. But I guess having hits is only ok when a band is "cool".

:confused: U2 most definitely doesn't look younger, even Larry, starting with this album. Bono's had lines on his face since Pop, Edge has been gray/bald for years (and we've seen hatless pics), Adam is gray.

Yup, writing about faith and your family and the world around you and politics is really inapropriate.

It's amazing how totally he missed the point of Ipods, so that's not even worth responding.
As for mediocrity, a matter of taste. Last I checked, both of the last two albums got good reviews. Newsflash: U2 courts to new audience with each new album.

U2 totally didn't care about the critics after what happened to them with Rattle and Hum right? The backlash had absolutely nothing to do with the change that came in '91 did it? They didn't care about the rise of dance and techno music when they were making Pop? They didn't want attention so they made an album, a book and a movie in '87?
Selective memory is good. :up:

The good old "I hate U2, but I actually hate Bono" shtick. Yup, activism is, again, so uncool for a rock singer to do. (never mind he's been involved in many causes in the oh-so precious 80's and 90's) And exactly, he's doing it to get on the cover of magazines. :banghead:

After 25 years of career and with their catalog, U2 has been annointed. Also, U2 never said they are bigger than the Beatles.

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
hahhaha.
I think the article is funny.
Entertainment journalists are full of shit. (no matter if the article is in support or is against)
I love it.

Nice to generalise like that... I've been working as a music journalist for about five years and even though people have a very strange perception of music/entertainment journalists, they're still all people that basically just love music. And ofcourse I think there are some really bad journalists out there, but I also think there are good ones...

Zoomerang96 said:
that's a really good article. :up:

a shadow of their former selves...

I suppose your the exact same person you were 20 years ago? None of your tastes have changed, lets just freeze everything so it stays exactly the same for ever. 1988 The Olympics were in Calgary, the Cosby show was so funny, U2 had a great album lets just live the same thing over and over again that way will never have to face dissapointment, every thing will be just peachy.
By the way, the only thing more pathetic then this article is that some one that largely agrees with it would be able to find time in their day to actually post on a U2 fan board.
The thing I love about U2 is that through previously published comments people like this are the exact people that they don't give two shits about. I love the fact that Bono had the balls to say it right before Achtung came out, we'll lose a bunch of fans but we'll keep alot and we'll gain alot.
If you don't love something anymore, let it go.

By the way, the only thing more pathetic then this article is that some one that largely agrees with it would be able to find time in their day to actually post on a U2 fan board.
To be fair this is a U2 fan site not a Worship Shrine.

Elvis said:

Because we arent U2.com. We offer up what's out there for U2 fans, not a blinded illusion. The reality is that there are not only a lot of people that feel the way the author does, but many fans as well. It is also something worth discussing among fans...which is obviously happening here.

Excellent Point elvis, you draw the line :yes: I 100% agree with the article. U2 are a shadow of what they used to be :sad:

Dutch Partygirl said:

Nice to generalise like that... I've been working as a music journalist for about five years and even though people have a very strange perception of music/entertainment journalists, they're still all people that basically just love music. And ofcourse I think there are some really bad journalists out there, but I also think there are good ones...

Thank you for that!

The author of the article is definitely entitled to his opinion although I don't agree with it entirely. He really just sounds pissed off that the last two albums have let him down and he feels the glory days of U2((JT-AB) are over. Maybe he did meet Bono and got turned off or something.

Whatever! The fact remains that U2, regardless of what one thinks of their current music, are the biggest band on the planet. There hasn't been many if any bands in the world that have pulled off what U2 has done in their mid-40s. That's the amazing thing to me. Sure they are not going to be wearing skin tight outfits and jumping out of big lemons in the future but these guys are making no. 1 albums with no. 1 singles everywhere in the world. Actually now that I think of it.....nobody in mid-life has ever done that consecutively. These guys are not young anymore, but they're pulling off what guys in their 20s do and they're are doing it better. Simply incredible! And when they come out with their next album...you know what will happen with it? It will go to number one. At the very least I'm sure a single will go to no. 1. Pretty good sh*t for mid-centurians.

Here is what U2 is at in Canada this week for singles. Half the bloody top ten!!!

1 SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN U2 ( ISLAND )

2 ALL BECAUSE OF YOU U2 ( ISLAND )

5 VERTIGO MAXI U2 ( ISLAND )

8 VERTIGO SINGLE U2 ( ISLAND )

10 SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN U2 ( USI )

Radio AirPlay in Canada

6 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own U2

I only have one response to articles like this and people who rage against U2:

Great, fine, more tickets for the rest of us. Have fun with your childish rants. I will be having fun at the show.

Back
Top Bottom