(04-13-2006) Producer of historic U2 show seeks tapes from city - Rocky Mtn News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Producer of historic U2 show seeks tapes from city

By Mark Brown

It's a rock music treasure trove that Rick Wurpel feared was lost: more than 160 reels of audio and video footage, including some of U2's legendary Under a Blood Red Sky concert at Red Rocks.
Now that it's been found years after disappearing from storage, Wurpel wants to know why the city of Denver paid someone for the footage and kept it for five years without telling him.

City officials said Wednesday it was just a misunderstanding and they will return the tapes as soon as Wurpel can prove that his company, TTS Entertainment Group, owns them.

For his part, Wurpel said the city, which owns Red Rocks, seemed more concerned with "covering their butts."

"I don't care if (the city) did something wrong, just give me the freakin' tapes," he said.

Wurpel's company produced the 1983 U2 concert, which was made into a special on Showtime. He's credited in places such as the Internet Movie Database. A group of investors put up part of the funding for the shoot under a partnership called Feyline Video 82.

Wurpel, who supervised the filming, sent what he believed to be the master tapes to U2 manager Paul McGuinness in 2001.

"I shipped them off to Paul and the lads in Dublin" when the group was contemplating a DVD release of the show, he said. But Wurpel kept some additional footage and backup copies.

After closing his business for a few years, Wurpel got back in the game last year, participating in Live 8 and shooting Earth, Wind & Fire at Red Rocks last August.

It was when he opened a new office in Santa Monica, Calif., that he did some inventory "and I really started to notice that there were things missing."

Jack Finlaw, head of the division of theaters and arenas, explained that several years ago Mary Beth Anderson, who once worked for Wurpel, approached the city and offered them the U2 tapes and other shows that Wurpel's company shot.

"She said she'd been storing some tapes" and was going to throw them away unless the city was interested, Finlaw said. Director of Marketing Erik Dyce paid Anderson $3,000 for her storage costs and took possession of the tapes, Finlaw said.

The city did not make Dyce available for comment and Anderson couldn't be reached.

In February, Wurpel's wife ran into Anderson in a store after Wurpel had spent years trying to find her. Anderson told her the tapes had gone to the city.

According to a handwritten inventory given to the city by Anderson, there are 164 reels. The list includes master tapes of Bob Weir and Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul from a Rainbow Music Hall show, Savoy Brown, U2, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and concerts such as Farm Aid and the KOOL Koncert. The shows took place at a variety of venues.

"Until I inventory it and see what they've got, I don't know," Wurpel says. He says he was told by Dyce that the city had copied some of the footage to DVD.

Attorney Michael Carrington, who represents Wurpel and the group who put up the U2 money, is in the process of unraveling the mess.

"They paid $3,000 to $5,000 for stuff without knowing who the owner was," the lawyer said.

The city's interest was preservation, Finlaw said.

"Theaters and Arenas took over custody of the tapes from her," he said, referring to Anderson. "We've never used them or distributed them in any way or claimed ownership."

"We feel like we've done a service to whoever the owner is," Finlaw said later. "We've protected them and stored them."

The city attorney's office is awaiting documentation from Carrington. It could be a long process, however, because someone will have to verify what performances are on the 164 tapes before documentation proving ownership can be obtained.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4618018,00.html

Un-frickin'-believable!

That bitch! :madspit:

The idea that Under a Blood Red Sky could be a future DVD release or, better yet, part of some DVD box set would be awesome. With the rebirth of the songs An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, the Electric Co., and Gloria on their most recent tour, I can see this recording being remastered for a DVD release.

HelloAngel said:
Producer of historic U2 show seeks tapes from city

The city attorney's office is awaiting documentation from Carrington. It could be a long process, however, because someone will have to verify what performances are on the 164 tapes before documentation proving ownership can be obtained.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4618018,00.html

This is screwed up.. :scratch:
Why does he have to prove what's on the reels? They are his. In effect, the city is guilty of "receiving stolen goods". That's against the law - last time I checked. The reels should immediately go back to the owner and the city should have to prove their case.
This Anderson peson should also be in trouble for selling stolen goods.

Wow what a story and involving something that could be golden for U2 and for their fans! I'd love to see this or at least some of this footage become a DVD or better yet, part of a special box set!

Back
Top Bottom