Week 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jimmmm said:
prediction; htdaab will never re-chart in the uk

& i just can't understand why especially as this is the best U2's singles off any one album have ever done. Maybe it's 'cos a heck of a lot of people have already brought it (overexposure) ?

you know, Pop spent 47 consecutive weeks in the UK top 200 album chart whilst HTDAAB has, so far, spent 'only' 42 out of 47 (or maybe 48).

good to see it go back up in Holland though

Last edited:
Good results from UK for ABOY as it stays in the top 20 at # 19 with probably about 5-7,000 sold. Also, on the Radio Airplay chart it goes back up to # 6

So surely HTDAAB will have at least re-entered the top 200 (!?)

Do these figures include music downloads from places such as Itunes? If not, I think that's why U2's sales for HTDAAB aren't as good as they were for ATYCLB. People aren't buying CD's as much anymore.

IrishDawg said:
Do these figures include music downloads from places such as Itunes? If not, I think that's why U2's sales for HTDAAB aren't as good as they were for ATYCLB. People aren't buying CD's as much anymore.

5-7,000 is for physical + download sales for the 2nd week of All Because Of You in the UK. Also in the UK, sales of HTDAAB passed those of ATYCLB months ago & must currently be about 80,000 ahead of ATYCLB (which must have now sold about 1,110,000)

what i dont understand is why the downloads for ABOY, COBL and Sometimes..., have been non-existant (not in top 40 download chart anyway), and Vertigos downloads were so high (#1 for 9-10 weeks)

ybird3k said:
what i dont understand is why the downloads for ABOY, COBL and Sometimes..., have been non-existant (not in top 40 download chart anyway), and Vertigos downloads were so high (#1 for 9-10 weeks)

'cos Vertigo was the first single & it got great promotion...remember the i-pod ad ?

Btw - i'm sure Sometimes & City DID make the download top 40...in fact i think Sometimes made the top 10 / 20 on downloads

Now, changing the subject a bit : does anyone think that the reason HTDAAB is not re-entering the UK top 200, despite the good airplay & sales of ABOY, because the record company simply haven't shipped enough copies to record stores ? Remember, it's certified 4xPlat for 1.2 million & has now virtually sold that many.

Apart from the album charts, U2 is also charting on the singles chart here in the Netherlands.
In its 5th week, All Because Of You rises to #7 in the Mega Top 50 (based on sales and airplay). Even though it hasn't reached the #2 spot (like the other 3 singles from HTDAAB did), it is another top 10 hit for U2. :up:
Here's the full chart run up to now (Mega Top 50: 24-9-2005):
47-33-33-12-7

I don't have the numbers from the sales-only chart yet...

As POP-ROMANCER noted earlier, the album rose 3 positions to #60.

edge3 said:

'cos Vertigo was the first single & it got great promotion...remember the i-pod ad ?

Btw - i'm sure Sometimes & City DID make the download top 40...in fact i think Sometimes made the top 10 / 20 on downloads

Now, changing the subject a bit : does anyone think that the reason HTDAAB is not re-entering the UK top 200, despite the good airplay & sales of ABOY, because the record company simply haven't shipped enough copies to record stores ? Remember, it's certified 4xPlat for 1.2 million & has now virtually sold that many.

Well, you can test that theory out yourself by going to your nearest record store to see how many copies of the BOMB you can buy.

IrishDawg said:

Well, a lot of people are simply passing the album around through file sharing or burning it for a friend for free. I believe if one buys the entire album on Itunes, it does get included in the album sales figures.

STING2 said:

Well, you can test that theory out yourself by going to your nearest record store to see how many copies of the BOMB you can buy.

ok, just checked & i only saw about 10-15 copies in each of the major HMV & Virgin megstores in London - this does make me think that, currently, there just aren't enough copies in the record shops in the UK to make the Bomb re-enter. And maybe this is the same in the US ?

isnt it about time some more copies were shipped in the uk then?, will another shipment have to be be 1 * platinum (300k) ?

why is only 10-15 copies being on shelves in each shop not enough, if there were 100 copies of bomb on the shelves in the same shops, it doesnt mean more people would buy them ?

POP-ROMANCER said:
Dutch top 40:

Robbie Williams's Tripping stays at #1

whats likely to be the global first week sales for his new album?

my prediction

UK : 250k-300k
US : ?????, maybe 40 k max

global : 1.2M

Intensive care will not be released in the US.

UK: 350k (He's more popular than coldplay in uk and x&y sold 320k in its first week)

ybird3k said:
isnt it about time some more copies were shipped in the uk then?, will another shipment have to be be 1 * platinum (300k) ?

why is only 10-15 copies being on shelves in each shop not enough, if there were 100 copies of bomb on the shelves in the same shops, it doesnt mean more people would buy them ?

i don't think 300K...i'm thinking more like 150K

i just think that at this stage in the Bomb's life with ABOY doing well on the charts & the run up to the big 'xmas sales now upon us the more copies that are available on the shelves the more copies are likely to be sold

POP-ROMANCER said:
Intensive care will not be released in the US.

UK: 350k (He's more popular than coldplay in uk and x&y sold 320k in its first week)

err...try 464K 1st week for X&Y (2nd highest ever, since figures were collated, after Oasis' Be Here Now)...i do think Robbie will do about 350K though

btw - just a reminder, Rattle & Hum is U2's best effort with 1st week UK sales of 360,000. I believe it also did 1 million in the US, 1st week, though Soundscan didn't exist back then so actual figures are scetchy

Big improve in Italy: HTDAAB 63 (97)

Italy:
HTDAAB 61 (47)

Here's the complete chart run:
1-1-4-5-5-6-3-3-4-8-
6-10-9-8-8-9-15-14-21-17-
16-17-17-26-33-33-44-42-41-39-
41-33-29-17-10-10-18-22-14-22-
21-37-41-47-61-97-63

France: HTDAAB 128 (125)

VALE69 said:
Big improve in Italy: HTDAAB 63 (97)

Italy:
HTDAAB 61 (47)

Here's the complete chart run:
1-1-4-5-5-6-3-3-4-8-
6-10-9-8-8-9-15-14-21-17-
16-17-17-26-33-33-44-42-41-39-
41-33-29-17-10-10-18-22-14-22-
21-37-41-47-61-97-63

France: HTDAAB 128 (125)

WOW, at least we have some Europeans who still respond to strong airplay of the boys songs!:wink: I thought it was going to drop out of the chart in Italy this week.

edge3 said:

i don't think 300K...i'm thinking more like 150K

i just think that at this stage in the Bomb's life with ABOY doing well on the charts & the run up to the big 'xmas sales now upon us the more copies that are available on the shelves the more copies are likely to be sold

From what you report, there are plenty of copies of the BOMB available. Most retail stores I know don't put more than 20 copies of a single album out on the shelves. Plus, there is likely plenty of stock in the back.

Yep great result from Italy :up: :) Looks like ABOY is having a slight positive effect in Europe & maybe the UK also : it is currently # 117 on the WHSmith compilation + artist album chart

STING2 said:

From what you report, there are plenty of copies of the BOMB available. Most retail stores I know don't put more than 20 copies of a single album out on the shelves. Plus, there is likely plenty of stock in the back.

:hmm: interesting

Billboard is partially updated...

Billboard charts are updated (mostly), and in the U.S., the Best of 1980-90 moves up from 48 to 44 on the Pop Catalog Chart. No sign of HTDAAB on the Billboard Top 200 or the Europe Top 100 Album charts. ABOY slides from 13 to 37 on the Europe Top 100 singles chart.

U2's sweep of the Billboard 2005 tour awards was the Headline Story on the website, but it's been bumped to story #2 in favor of Kanye West's 8th week at #1 on the BB Hot 100 with "Gold Digger"

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001390913

As for radio play only charts, COBL actually gains airplay and holds steady at #13 on the Triple A Top 40 chart.

http://charts.mediaguide.com/format/Triple_A_C_single.html

This is consitent with the real-time airplay charts from mediabase, which shows COBL holding nearly steady in airplay, bringing it back into the Top 10 for the 19th week, which matches Sometimes for total weeks in the Top 10 on Triple A radio.

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/

If U2 shows up on any of the charts yet to be updated, I'll drop back in to post it.

UK : Bomb still out of top 200...singles increase (again !) :

Albums :
Best Of 80-90 # 179 (# 162)

Singles :
Vertigo # 162 (# 168)
COBL # 208 (# 206)
Sometimes # 214 (248)

Back
Top Bottom