NLOTH Total Chart Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holds the #1 spot in Spain for yes a 5th week!
1-1-1-2-1-1

also 18 Singles back into top 50 at #50 (from #60) & TJT holding steady at #64 (from #63). They also still have 7 dvd's in the music dvd top 20. The Spanish are indeed going U2 crazy!

Radio and Records, and therefore Billboard, updated today and it looks like Magnificent has peaked in the U.S.

On Triple A
Magnificent stays at #2 w/decrease in plays

On Alternative
Magnificent stops at 18 with decrease in plays

On Hot AC
Magnificent moves up from 31 to 28 w/increase in plays

On Mainstream Rock
Magnificent drops from 13 to 15 with decrease in plays

In Canada, Magnificent goes up from 13 to 7 on the Rock chart, again garnering "Most increased Plays"

Now, on Mediabase, which measures all radio stations on all formats, Magnificent has peaked on Triple A as well...but it has been number 1 for 3 weeks now. Also, about 5 days ago, Magnificent began slipping on the Alternative, Rock, and HAC as well. However, that chart updates every day, and now Magnificent is rising again on all 3 of the above mentioned formats (not Triple A...but it's still #1 and has lost about 7 spins).

So, maybe the jury is still out, but it will take a great video, some sort of b-side(s) included with the download of the single, and perhaps a front page Ad on i-tunes during the week of it's release. I'm beginning to wonder if Magnificent will even be officially released in the U.S., which I think is a mistake. Guess all the promotion for singles will be outside the U.S., and the tour will be relied upon to help album sales. Still have to remember that NLOTH is the biggest selling album of 2009 by a 2-1 margin...along with an article a few weeks back in Billboard that pegged U2 as the "most pirated" band in the world...with estimates of over 1M downloads of NLOTH (or at least 6 of 11 songs) already.

Sorry

Radio and Records, and therefore Billboard, updated today and it looks like Magnificent has peaked in the U.S.

On Triple A
Magnificent stays at #2 w/decrease in plays

On Alternative
Magnificent stops at 18 with decrease in plays

On Hot AC
Magnificent moves up from 31 to 28 w/increase in plays

On Mainstream Rock
Magnificent drops from 13 to 15 with decrease in plays

In Canada, Magnificent goes up from 13 to 7 on the Rock chart, again garnering "Most increased Plays"

Now, on Mediabase, which measures all radio stations on all formats, Magnificent has peaked on Triple A as well...but it has been number 1 for 3 weeks now. Also, about 5 days ago, Magnificent began slipping on the Alternative, Rock, and HAC as well. However, that chart updates every day, and now Magnificent is rising again on all 3 of the above mentioned formats (not Triple A...but it's still #1 and has lost about 7 spins).

So, maybe the jury is still out, but it will take a great video, some sort of b-side(s) included with the download of the single, and perhaps a front page Ad on i-tunes during the week of it's release. I'm beginning to wonder if Magnificent will even be officially released in the U.S., which I think is a mistake. Guess all the promotion for singles will be outside the U.S., and the tour will be relied upon to help album sales. Still have to remember that NLOTH is the biggest selling album of 2009 by a 2-1 margin...along with an article a few weeks back in Billboard that pegged U2 as the "most pirated" band in the world...with estimates of over 1M downloads of NLOTH (or at least 6 of 11 songs) already.

Oops...I meant to post this in the "NLOTH Singles Charts" thread. Can't move it now.

in the UK - the market is fairly sensitive to personal appearances and tours, largely because the media market is quite centralized (few TV stations but a big reach, few serious magazine but a big reach, a few radio stations that effectively control the airwaves there.)

So far the band have opted to rehearse for the tour than do the chat show/ breakfast TV show/ record store signing SLOG that they once had to do. The UK shows will see a fairly serious pickup in album sales. I think double platinum by the end of the year is doable. The album is generating better word of mouth than the likes of pop so I think it will have a longer shelf life. Remember Pop had a shitload of top 10 singles in the UK but after Staring at the Son , none of the others lifted the album much. Word of mouth had already killed it.

Im impressed at Spain , Italy and Germany. U2 dont typically show great staying power in the German top 10 so thats encouraging.

after 7 weeks from release:
EURO CHART run (TOP 100 ALBUM): 15 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1- 1 -1
WORLD CHART run (TOP 40 ALBUM): 3 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 5 - 5

from U2 PLACE.COM ITALIA ::. Il portale italiano sugli U2 in Italia, U2 News, U2 Notizie, U2 Testi, U2 Album, U2 Traduzioni, U2 Tours the chart run of No Line on The Horizon after 7 week (in a lot of countries...):

Usa - 1 - 3 - 2 - 6 - 12 -14
Canada - 1 - 1 - 1 - 3 - 11 -16
Germany - 1 - 2 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 8
Italy - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Australia - 1 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 11
Ungheria - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 4
Belgium Flanders - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 3 - 2
Belgio Vallonian - 1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 5 - 6
Poland - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 3
UK - 1 - 1 - 6 - 9 - 17 - 24
Ireland - 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 6
France - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 6 -7
New Zeland - 1 - 1 - 2 - 4 - 5 -8
Netherlands - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3
Czeck Repub. - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 -1
Norway - 1 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 7 - 10
Japan - chart run oricon: 4 - 11 - 12 - 16 - 28 - 24 - out top 30 (but n.1 in the first week on international chart album)
Israele - 1 - 3 - 5 - 25 - out top 30
Switzerland - 1 - 1 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 6
Croatia - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 -1 -1
Denemark - 1 - 2 - 2 - 4 - 6 -7
Osteraich - 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 -9
Spain - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 -1
Portugal - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 -2 -3
Finland - 3 - 1 - 3 - 3 - 7 - 10 - 8
Kazackistan (unofficial) - 1- ?
Greece - 1 - 1 - ?
Slovenia - 1 - ?
Honk Hong (unofficial)- 1 - 1 - 4 - 8 - 14 -17
Iceland - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 3
Cipro chart international - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 3 -5
Ecuador - 1 - 1 - 4 - ?
Mexico - 27 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2
Arabia - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 6 in international chart; 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 -10 in general chart
Sweden - 2 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 6
Brazil - 2 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 3 - 5
Russia - 18 - 4 - 3 - 8 -7 -8
Estonia (unofficial) - 3 - ?
Taiwan - 6 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 10 - 7
Venezuela (unofficial)- 2 - 6 - 5 - 13 - 12 -19
Colombia (unofficial) - 8 - 3 - 2 - 4
Argentina - weekly sales: 21 - 25 - 1 - 4
Turkey - 9 - 7 - 8 - ?
Filippine - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 -?
Malta - 1 - ?
Southafrica - 7 - 4 - 6 -?

Hope MAG will do well in the US, it's such a great song, one of my top 5 of all time already and push the album a bit. Still shocked they haven't reached 1 million in the US yes, your should push it a bit and next year's grammy's as well, but damn!!

Using SoundScan and Billboard numbers, NLOTH's run in the U.S. is:

1-3-2-6-12-14-16-22

484,472* + 132,494 + 76,317 + 51,179 + 35,989 + 34,764 + 20,545 + 17,457

Total: 853,244

*Includes 547 copies due to "early street sales".

hard to believe HTDAAB sold that amoutn in its first week.

hard to believe HTDAAB sold that amoutn in its first week.

Had NLOTH been released during the same time frame, it might have come close as well. "Vertigo" clearly gave HTDAAB a big boost, so maybe NLOTH wouldn't have received that type of sales, but if NLOTH could still almost sell 500K its first week in March, I'm pretty sure it would have sold 600-700K its first week in November. Then, with the rest of the holiday season, NLOTH would probably be at the 1.5M mark or more by now.

March releases still can work, but if U2 cares about this album being a big hit, clearly more promotion is needed. The lack of a real push for "Magnificent" does make me wonder. And with the tour months away, the album may not even be in the Top 100 by then, unless U2 does something to retain interest. Kings of Leon may not have big Hot 100 hits, but they have Alternative hits and that's enough to keep their album selling at a steady 15-20K per week. Unless "Magnificent" finally crosses over to Adult Contemporary (the way "Beautiful Day" did), I'm not sure what else U2 can do, other than appear on more TV shows and whatnot.

14,500 last week in the US

At this pace, it will take about three months for the real sales to get to 1 M in the US. Unless sales start to increase, which is highly unlikely considering Magnificent seems to have peaked on the charts and the tour won´t have any effect in the US until September.

At this pace, it will take about three months for the real sales to get to 1 M in the US. Unless sales start to increase, which is highly unlikely considering Magnificent seems to have peaked on the charts and the tour won´t have any effect in the US until September.

Only if sales pretty much even off, if not it will take even longer

Week number 9, the album stayed at number 6, with 82,000 units.
Week number 10, the album stayed at number 6, with 68,000 units.
All per Mediatraffic

Back
Top Bottom