NLOTH latest sales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j72

The Fly
I am not really fussed about album sales, some of my favourite bands have small followings. What i guess does interest and appeal to me is the concept of something that is not an instant big hit but then gathers like a slow bush fire when people find something special in it. In the UK the film equivalent would be somethig like The Shawshank Redemption.

A special film, i feel, that is now universally loved, i heard with interest that NLOTH has now gradually notched up a lot of interest indeed, anyone know the current TOTAL WORLDWIDE sales figure at the star of 2012. I am aware that downloads etc have affected the industry as a whole.

I guess i love it when soul wins through over (what seems to me) more flashy gimmicky stuff. If anyone knows would be interested, thanks, take care -jules

Well all I know is I brought one! :wink:

but in all seriousness, around 5 million?

Last I heard 5m or very close to it. In all likelihood Mylo Xyloto will surpass NLOTH easily. In terms of album sales, Coldplay are whupping U2's ass right now. It's not a competition, but it seems to be important to U2.

It's only natural that Coldplay will surpass U2 in terms of album/single sales. Viva la Vida was a huge hit, whereas NLOTH was not. Mylo Xyloto is shaping up to be a successful album as well. Right now they have great crossover potential. Teens are getting into the song "Paradise" right now, and yet my Mom also loves Coldplay and just bought their album (she did not buy NLOTH).

However, A LOT of people hate Coldplay. They are not a great live band, and that will eventually be their undoing. They are not anywhere near as big of a draw as U2 were in the Joshua Tree era. They just don't have that "Spark" that U2 have. Chris as a live performer has NOTHING on Bono... nobody does.

Whenever you see a printed estimate of an album's sales (eg 5 million in this case) it's always too high. Always.
I remember hearing Pop sold 7-8 million when to this date it's only about 6 million. As for NLOTH, I remember when it dropped out of the charts it was a notch under 4 million. I don't think it's likely to have sold a lot more since then.

thanks folks, was curious. Think it is beginning to shape up towards my top three/four u2 albums. I think coldplay do have a special way with melodies but they are still very different bands despite some media generalisations and Mr martin can wind me up when he sings in a certain way such as in paradise. Wish he'd lay off that personally but obviously millions disagree with me and i was the guy who got banned from singing in a school play at the age of ten. In my defence that teacher was very anal, heh! take care

I really do not believe the 5M mark that band members have been quoting, just as it seems they overestimate Pop's sales (I think I heard Larry say 6-7 million when it's probably about 5M). U2 tends to sell like double in the rest of the world than what they sell in the United States, so that would put them out about 3.6M or maybe even 4M if you're being generous. There's no proof via MediaTraffic or any other source that they compiled enough sales early on in the album's run to suggest that NLOTH has sold anywhere near 5 million copies.

I really do not believe the 5M mark that band members have been quoting, just as it seems they overestimate Pop's sales (I think I heard Larry say 6-7 million when it's probably about 5M). U2 tends to sell like double in the rest of the world than what they sell in the United States, so that would put them out about 3.6M or maybe even 4M if you're being generous. There's no proof via MediaTraffic or any other source that they compiled enough sales early on in the album's run to suggest that NLOTH has sold anywhere near 5 million copies.

Pop has shifted 5.5 million copies TO STORES by the end of 1997. It's not a huge catalogue seller by any stretch, so by saying 6 million, you're pretty close. Zooropa has sold about 7 million. NLOTH would be just on 4 million, or slightly over, but definitely not 5 million.

Back
Top Bottom