Incredible Chart performance in Ireland!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
On the latest album chart in Ireland, 11 of U2's 14 albums make it into the top 75 on the album chart! This clearly shows that on a per capita basis, U2 is more popular in their native Ireland than anywhere else in the world!

#4 BOMB
#12 Joshua Tree
#13 Best Of 1980 to 1990
#19 Best Of 1990 to 2000
#32 All That You Can't Leave Behind
#35 Achtung Baby
#43 Rattle And Hum
#48 Under A Blood Red Sky
#53 The Unforgettable Fire
#63 Boy
#68 War

The only U2 albums that did not make the Irish top 75 this week were, October, Zooropa, and POP. I don't think "Wide Awake In America" is actually eligible to make the chart in Ireland since it is just a 4 song EP. Besides October, Zooropa, and POP, "Wide Awake In America" would be the only other disc that would potentially be able to make the album chart.

Hey Sting,

This has already been noted in the week 32 thread (about 5 days ago!).

...but I have to say this is amazing & is therefore worth it's own individual thread aswell!

ps - let's just hope Bomb can now make # 1 in Ireland on next chart. :wink:

I posted this in the U2News forum, but I thought I'd repost it here so others who frequent this forum could see it.

When U2 returned to Ireland in 2001 for the Slane shows, there was a monstrous impact on the Irish charts:
  1. All That You Can't Leave Behind: #1;
  2. The Joshua Tree: #5;
  3. The Best Of (1980-90): #10;
  4. Achtung Baby: #11;
  5. Rattle and Hum: #17;
  6. The Unforgettable Fire: #33;
  7. Zooropa: #35;
  8. Pop: #37;
  9. War: #40;
  10. Under A Blood Red Sky: #43;
  11. Boy: #45;
  12. October: #60

Compare this with U2's recent visit (2005):
  1. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: #4
  2. The Joshua Tree: #12;
  3. The Best Of (1980-90): #13;
  4. The Best Of (1990-2000): #19
  5. All That You Can't Leave Behind: #32;
  6. Achtung Baby: #35;
  7. Rattle and Hum: #43;
  8. Under A Blood Red Sky: #48;
  9. The Unforgettable Fire: #53;
  10. Boy: #63;
  11. War: #67

When the two eras are compared, it's clear that the ATYCLB/Elevation Tour era had a larger effect on the charts. Not only did ATYCLB return to #1, but two other albums returned to the Top 10 and U2 had a whopping nine albums in the Irish Top 40!

In contrast, "only" 11 albums charted this time - and that included two new releases (HTDAAB and the 90's "Best Of") - several albums did not make the Irish Top 75 ("October", "Zooropa" and "Pop"), HTDAAB did not return to #1, no other album returned to the Top 10 and U2 had "only" six albums in the Top 40.

This is not to say that what just happened on the Irish charts isn't fantastic! No other artist could have nearly their entire catalog rechart simply due to a concert performance. However, when compared to 2001, it's clear that the impact was not quite as successful.

Last edited:
I also want to point out that "Beautiful Day", "Stuck in a Moment..." and "Elevation" all debuted at #1 in Ireland. U2 had three consecutive #1 singles there. In contrast, "City of Blinding Lights" - one of my personal favorite songs - debuted at a comparatively rather lowly #8. Yet more proof that this era of U2 is not quite as powerful as the ATYCLB era in Ireland (and arguably around the world).

Do you know the certification of ATYCLB in Ireland?

Bomb is more than 10x Platinum.

Zoovation said:
Do you know the certification of ATYCLB in Ireland?

Bomb is more than 10x Platinum.

That is a fair question, and to be honest, I don't know.

I also realize that in my assessment of the HTDAAB era vs. the ATYCLB era on the Irish charts, there are numerous other factors that play a role in how the albums chart other than just U2's popularity at a given time. Competition is certainly a big factor - huge releases from other artists can and perhaps did play a role in preventing U2's other albums from charting higher.

That said, in my mind, the "Vertigo" commercial combined with the success of the ATYCLB era helped propel HTDAAB to huge sales in its first few weeks. It debuted the way a huge blockbuster movie does these days. However, analogous to blockbuster movies, it then started to fall rather quickly. It made most of its sales/money in those first few weeks at the expense of legs. In contrast, while the initial sales for ATYCLB were very solid, they weren't anywhere near as strong as HTDAAB. And ATYCLB had far better legs.

I try to get any news from the person that gave me the certification for HTDAAB!

Back
Top Bottom