The AFL Thread Watching the Bombers Fly Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's Vlad Cliché number one for the day.

How's the heart rate?

This is shameful. An utter embarrassment. Just about done with footy.

Your team. Made. The grand final.

Even if there isn't a comeback you're second best in the league.

But sure. I mean this must hurt. But also CARN THE TIGES.

We made the Grand Final only to not play like we give a shit throughout the fucking game! That's telling. We've fucked it up massively, and pissed away all the goodwill we had with this "performance".

One goal in three quarters of football. One.

Dark, dark day for the club. There's no coming back.

I cannot believe this is happening. I didn't think the Tiges had it in them.

I feel ill. I can't believe Hardwick is a premiership coach. Fuck's sake.

I can't follow this game anymore.

Sorry Vlad :(

I'm still sad about 2001 and much besides since then

I was team Tigers all the way and I'm thrilled for them, but man this was a disappointing finals in terms of really classic matches. There was Eagles/Power and that's about it. Otherwise, all blowouts or reasonably competitive matches that got out of hand somewhere before 3QT.

Houli robbed of norm smith.

The only thing that tarnishes this Tigers campaign is Dustin Martin and people treating him as anything other than one of the most rotten people to ever pull on a footy jumper.

Also I was watching this Killers set and thinking maybe they're not so bad after all until they got to the worst lyric ever, "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier". Fuck off, even Bono hadn't sunk to that level.

So so so happy for the Tigers. Was worried early on, thought the three Riewoldt misses were ominous and the Crows looked great for the first quarter and-a-half, they were much cleaner. But they really shit the bed from that point on. I think the Tigers, much like the Dogs last year, put it all together when it really mattered most. They had so much belief. It was their pressure that did it, they completely shut down the Crows and they just had no answer whatsoever.

Not a great game of footy, I would have been very happy had the cameras spent the five minutes just following Richo around (god that was amazing footage) but really satisfying stuff. Wish I was closer to home, I might have been inclined to drop down and check out Swan St, the place is fucking heaving with life, sounds like it's absolutely the place to be right now. And Jack Riewoldt on stage with the Killers!!!! How fucking epic. What a story to tell.

Bachar Houli was absolutely fucking robbed of the medal, Martin was tremendous of course but Bachar was clearly best on ground when the game was up for the taking, which should have carried more weight in my opinion. Rance also played a huge role.

Final words are for inte, not sure where he is or what he's doing right now, but geez I hope today was a special one for him, I'm sure the eyes would have watered, and I hope he's having the time of his life.

Oh one more thing... did think the Killers were great, perfect for the scenario, but their pre-game interview was fucking disgraceful, an insult. Takes all of two minutes to at least learn which two teams were fucking playing, giving them the stage.

That interview was fucking excruciating, both for Richo making statements rather than questions and for the two members of The Killers who were clearly there for the dosh and didn't give even half a shit.

But it was pretty cool that they let Jack come up on stage.

Even if I was still suffering from how "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" is one of the all-time worst lyrics ever, even ahead of "stop helping god across the road like a little old lady".

And can we please stop this cultural cringe of booking big overseas names and get some locals who are passionate to be there? Alison, U-Wen, and I went through recent performers earlier. Remember when they had Tim Rogers and Paul Kelly? Now there are two guys who fucking care about their footy. More, please.

Yes, 100% agree with that - Paul Kelly, Tim Rogers etc.

I will read that article tomorrow, but generally Greg Baum is one of the best sportswriters we have.

I don't care how good he is, he just wrote:

The monkey on the 2016 Bulldogs' back was older, but Richmond's was bigger, as the club is bigger.

But you were to define a difference, it was that the Dogs came from the clouds, the Tigers from the wilderness.

Consecutive paragraphs. It's a straight-up contradiction. "From the wilderness" describes distance and obscurity, the exact opposite of "bigger, as the club is bigger".

And then:

The Bulldogs were everyone's pets last year, but the Tigers this year were a cause.

Please fuck off. I'm sure he thinks he's clever for that line, but it's just stupid.

And this:

This premiership differed from others in one other way. More than any club, Richmond still represents not just a vast set of supporters, but a distinctive suburb, the one just across the park from the MCG, where their ground lies.

Bullshit. No Victorian club represents their area more than the Doggies. The passion of the west, the forever neglected west, against the rest of the world is something to behold. Richmond have for very long been trodden down too, but holy shit why is this guy playing off struggletown against struggletown - and then reaching the conclusion that somehow the Dogs' fanbase is more disparate and dispersed?

Not to mention this:

The Bulldogs' triumph was a fairytale come true, the Tigers a giant awakened. Historically, the Bulldogs hope for flags; the Tigers, for a time in this town, expected them. That time was long ago, but suddenly is revived.

Go away.

Let's celebrate this amazing 2017 premiership without demeaning how good 2016 was.

So so so happy for the Tigers. Was worried early on, thought the three Riewoldt misses were ominous and the Crows looked great for the first quarter and-a-half, they were much cleaner. But they really shit the bed from that point on. I think the Tigers, much like the Dogs last year, put it all together when it really mattered most. They had so much belief. It was their pressure that did it, they completely shut down the Crows and they just had no answer whatsoever.

Never mind that, we didn't even bother trying. :lol:

A day later and even though I've been distracted by good things, it's difficult not to be disgusted with the way my side played considering the weeks leading up to this. We had no more than 3 good players for the entire match.

Trade Period will be fun as we'll inevitably lose more key players and Sloane will piss off at the end of next year too. :lol: Club is fucked.

So who names a team the crows and why did they suck so much?

I felt right at home, like it was my own sports teams.

South Australians are nicknamed crow-eaters, I've no idea why. But that explains the nickname.

And don't listen to Vlad. Adelaide were the best team across the regular season and despite fading after half time yesterday they're still second-best at the end of the finals. They will be a real premiership threat next year again.

Just saw a Richmond-liveried hummer saunter down swan st

We're never going to hear the end of this are we ;)

South Australians are nicknamed crow-eaters, I've no idea why. But that explains the nickname.

And don't listen to Vlad. Adelaide were the best team across the regular season and despite fading after half time yesterday they're still second-best at the end of the finals. They will be a real premiership threat next year again.

I was actually commenting because I watched the game (granted I had no idea what was going on).

As for crow-eaters... that's like calling yourself the London Laughingstock (assuming you're familiar with the eating crow idiom)... I'm now left more confused by that name than I was before.

Back
Top Bottom