NFL Thread III - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #841
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Absolutely. It would have taken a good five seconds off the clock.

Are you guys wondering why they didn’t squib it? Or why they didn’t kick it short of the goal line?

Squib is out of the question since it’s a 3 point game and that could end up starting from the 40 if it goes out of bounds. Players can just give themselves up. But I suppose you’re probably talking about kicking it short. Pringle’s a good returner. Conventional wisdom says all you have to do is stop two plays with 13 seconds left. A kickoff is far more likely to result in a TD or an explosive play to get to near FG range. Don’t put the ball in the returner’s hands and give them an option.

I think y’all are taking for granted how improbable it was to go 50 yards in 2 plays and still have enough time to kick a FG. Which… boy did the clock operators hit stop the microsecond that knee was down. The no return is risk aversion, which makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is the four rushers. If your rushers get to Mahommes, KC held onto the ball for too long anyways. Rush two. Rush zero for all I care.

LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:31 PM   #842
45:33

Local Time: 05:02 PM
I've seen so much hype about this game I'm actually gonna watch some highlights. The first time I've ever watched gridiron.

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:43 PM   #843

What's this coin toss stuff? Reading a lot about how that decided the outcome.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:51 PM   #844
Blue Crack Distributor

Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Who gets the ball first in OT is decided by a coin toss.

It does NOT decide who wins. The defense can stop the other team from scoring. They didn't. Even holding them to just a field goal would have gotten them the ball back.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:30 PM   #845
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:02 AM
That game was incredible. I freakin love the NFL
U2inUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:11 AM   #846
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:02 AM
On a personal note, it was pretty cool to see Rams kicker Matt Gay get the winning FG today over the Bucs. I am childhood friends with his oldest brother Jimmy. I used to have sleepovers at their house growing up, back when Matt was a baby.
U2inUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:24 AM   #847
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:02 AM
The football was good.
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:06 AM   #848
Blue Crack Addict

Why has nobody mentioned the amazing Twitter account that is @thedickbutkus
Old 01-24-2022, 01:16 AM   #849

I wanted Buffalo to win. I watched a 30 for 30 once on them and it was quite sad.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:01 AM   #850
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Are you guys wondering why they didn’t squib it? Or why they didn’t kick it short of the goal line?

Squib is out of the question since it’s a 3 point game and that could end up starting from the 40 if it goes out of bounds. Players can just give themselves up. But I suppose you’re probably talking about kicking it short. Pringle’s a good returner. Conventional wisdom says all you have to do is stop two plays with 13 seconds left. A kickoff is far more likely to result in a TD or an explosive play to get to near FG range. Don’t put the ball in the returner’s hands and give them an option.

I think y’all are taking for granted how improbable it was to go 50 yards in 2 plays and still have enough time to kick a FG. Which… boy did the clock operators hit stop the microsecond that knee was down. The no return is risk aversion, which makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is the four rushers. If your rushers get to Mahommes, KC held onto the ball for too long anyways. Rush two. Rush zero for all I care.
Yes, kicking just short of the goal line was my thought. Make them catch it at the 2 or something and run it out. Pringle is good, but I'd rather take my chances stopping him vs Mahomes. If they are at the 20 or 25 with only 8 seconds remaining, you're in much better shape. I just wouldn't take any chances against Mahomes, he's that good.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:05 AM   #851
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Who gets the ball first in OT is decided by a coin toss.

It does NOT decide who wins. The defense can stop the other team from scoring. They didn't. Even holding them to just a field goal would have gotten them the ball back.
Exactly. The whining online from reporters and fans is nauseating. Last I checked, there is more to a team than an offense. As fantastic a scoring show as that was, the defense has to make a stop at some point.

For those arguing that Allen should have gotten a chance as well, to what end do you go? The defenses are just going to get more tired, so it's a good bet Mahomes and Allen will keep scoring. When do you end it? Last ball wins? What if it's still tied at the end of OT? Keep going? This isn't basketball.

Play defense. If you can't stop them, then you know what you need to do in the offseason.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #852
Blue Crack Distributor

how about we just take the defense off the field and have an offensive skills competition? you know. for fairness.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:27 AM   #853
Blue Crack Addict

I dunno guys. I think college OT rules are immensely more fair. KC wouldn’t have stopped Buffalo either.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:37 AM   #854
Blue Crack Addict

I wish we could get past the whole "The coin toss doesn't determine who wins counterargument". We all get that. But the OT rules still need to change, and the NFL is losing a huge opportunity to gain more from an entertainment standpoint. Imagine if the NFL completely copied the college rules and we got to see 20 more minutes of that amazing game last night.

Plus, yeah both teams really should get a chance to have an offensive possession in OT.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:07 AM   #855
Blue Crack Distributor

nobody KNOWS that buffalo was going to score. sure it's a good assumption, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Chiefs stop them. or maybe there's a fumble. maybe there's an INT. maybe Buffalo commits a bad penalty on a third down conversion and forces them into a 4th and long. any number of things can happen.

all buffalo had to do was keep Kansas City out of the endzone.

all buffalo had to do was make Kansas City field the kick at the end of regulation.

there's nothing unfair about what happened and i have zero issue with the rules as they are set up.

would i have loved to see that game continue? of course! it was one of the most exciting games i've ever seen. but nah - i don't think there's a need to change the rules at all. but there's a difference between "unfair" and "entertaining."

would the college rules be more entertaining? yes. are the current rules unfair? no.

if buffalo gets a stop or holds them to a field goal nobody is talking about the rules needing to be changed this morning.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:16 AM   #856
Blue Crack Distributor

All this talk about the OT rules, and the crazy scoring in the last two minutes is taking away from the truly shocking development from yesterday's game... Andy Reid had all three time outs left on the final drive.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:23 AM   #857
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe instead of going to the extreme and adopting college rules, a compromise change the rule to allow the other team to have a chance to match the TD. If they do, next score wins. If they don't, game over.

That way, I think it truly would be a fair Overtime and completely take the coin flip out of the equation.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:54 AM   #858
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
nobody KNOWS that buffalo was going to score.

Literally? Yes. Generally? Sure. But I can’t think of a more hyperbolic game to make the point against you here. 78 points. 25 of which came in the final 2 minutes of regulation. 4 consecutive flawless drives. Lead changes everywhere.

Why are college rules “extreme”? Kick-offs are dumb and nobody wants to watch you play on your own 20 in Q5. If you made it this far it’s because either a) your offenses both suck the same or b) your defenses both suck the same.

I just don’t understand why we can’t agree that each team should have a possession to make their case.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #859
Blue Crack Distributor

because football is not just offense - and the college rules, while entertaining as hell, cheapens the defensive side of the ball.

i'd be more in favor of simply playing a straight 10 minute OT before shifting to sudden death than I would shifting to the college rules.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #860
Blue Crack Addict

College rules aren’t “offense only” though. Defense has to stop the offense. It’s literally the same point you’re making.