MLB 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scrubs-head-explode-o.gif

We took 3 of 4 from the first place Cubs. Granted, we have a 4 game series with the last place Braves coming up. We are so bad against the Braves, it will work itself out.

We lost 5 of 7 to the pitiful Braves and somehow gained 2 games in the standings.

Something has to give tonight I suppose.

You got us at the right time. This team absolutely sucks right now, especially with anyone on base. We've got to be like 0-17 with RISP and two outs over the past week.

For instance, bases loaded with Thor struggling in the 2nd. The result? Nada.

I keep pulling the MLB threads up to see what's being discussed, but I never have anything to to add.

I used to be a huge baseball fan. When I was a little kid in 1985 I would practice Ricky Henderson's snatch catch when I was barely big enough to hold a glove. I would emulate every move Dave Winfield would make from the time he stepped in the box through his swing in t-ball. I'd practice the pitching motion of Yankees enemy Doc Gooden for hours on end at the park. I listened to or watched almost every Yankees game from 85'- 2011. I'd even put on the Mets when the Yanks were off. I had a handle on the stats of almost every player on any team for quite a while there.

My interest in baseball dropped almost completely as the Core Four retired. I barely know the starting lineup anymore. I don't know if I got spoiled or the game has changed but I just can't get into it anymore.

...and the moment I criticize the Nats they mount a five run inning and turn around the RISP drought. That Rendon hit was fucking beautiful.

Obviously this is an off day for Thor, but that was an awful inning from d'Arnaud. Wild pitches and people stealing on him with ease.

Last edited:
You were saying?

Meta have to do something about d'Arnaud. It's like Piazza all over again, just without, ya know, Mike Piazza hitting.

d'Arnaud is a good hitter, but you better be a god damned MVP candidate to have his arm as a catcher.

And by the way, the stolen J-E-T-S chant is the worst thing I have ever heard. For shame.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the Cubs, but I'm definitely ready for the All-Star Break.

Today was fun, though.

I keep pulling the MLB threads up to see what's being discussed, but I never have anything to to add.

I used to be a huge baseball fan. When I was a little kid in 1985 I would practice Ricky Henderson's snatch catch when I was barely big enough to hold a glove. I would emulate every move Dave Winfield would make from the time he stepped in the box through his swing in t-ball. I'd practice the pitching motion of Yankees enemy Doc Gooden for hours on end at the park. I listened to or watched almost every Yankees game from 85'- 2011. I'd even put on the Mets when the Yanks were off. I had a handle on the stats of almost every player on any team for quite a while there.

My interest in baseball dropped almost completely as the Core Four retired. I barely know the starting lineup anymore. I don't know if I got spoiled or the game has changed but I just can't get into it anymore.

I think you got spoiled. The Core Four were around for a LONG time. They did a lot of winning. All good things must come to an end with a new beginning in the works. The current Yankees are a team in transition. They're flushing out the long contracts and also promoting young talent. They're also still trying to put asses in seats. Expensive seats. The Yankees have painted themselves into a corner with their overpriced stadium, so they've got to hope to put some marquee names out there. Love him or hate him, Yankee fans wanna see AR hit. He's an attraction. Plus, Carlos Beltran has been healthy and productive.

The Yankees had their run from 1996 to 2000. They won because of good young players and solid veterans. After the 2001 WS loss, they signed Giambi for 7 years, 120 million.This would mark the beginning of signing free agents who didn't quite pan out. Luckily, they still had the Core Four to at least remain respectable. Now the Yankees have had to start all over again. Maybe you can too. :wink:

I think you got spoiled. The Core Four were around for a LONG time. They did a lot of winning. All good things must come to an end with a new beginning in the works. The current Yankees are a team in transition. They're flushing out the long contracts and also promoting young talent. They're also still trying to put asses in seats. Expensive seats. The Yankees have painted themselves into a corner with their overpriced stadium, so they've got to hope to put some marquee names out there. Love him or hate him, Yankee fans wanna see AR hit. He's an attraction. Plus, Carlos Beltran has been healthy and productive.

The Yankees had their run from 1996 to 2000. They won because of good young players and solid veterans. After the 2001 WS loss, they signed Giambi for 7 years, 120 million.This would mark the beginning of signing free agents who didn't quite pan out. Luckily, they still had the Core Four to at least remain respectable. Now the Yankees have had to start all over again. Maybe you can too. :wink:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can't complain one bit. It was an insane run.

Incredible game for Danny Espinosa tonight: two home runs, one from each side of the plate. Right handed HR was a grand slam, left handed HR was a 3 run.

Nats have outscored opponents 33-3 since the 4th inning of Monday's game.

Last edited:
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can't complain one bit. It was an insane run.

It was an insane run. I became a fan when I was about 5 years old during the Yankees' late '70's run. But then, after '81, there was nothing until '95. Winfield was my favorite Yankee during that time. Mattingly was a close 2nd. :wink: When they finally won again in '96, I never took their winning for granted. Before Showalter became the manager, the team didn't have a direction. It looked bleak. Buck was a great manager, but he lacked diplomacy with both his players and the media. Joe Torre's huge plus was being great with his players and the media. After 2000, they probably could have won a few more WS titles before Torre left following the 2007 season.

Last edited:
It was an insane run. I became a fan when I was about 5 years old during the Yankees' late '70's run. But then, after '81, there was nothing until '95. Winfield was my favorite Yankee during that time. Mattingly was a close 2nd. :wink: When they finally won again in '96, I never took their winning for granted. Before Showalter became the manager, the team didn't have a direction. It looked bleak. Buck was a great manager, but he lacked diplomacy with both his players and the media. Joe Torre's huge plus was being great with his players and the media. After 2000, they probably could have won a few more WS titles before Torre left after the 2007 season.

Agree with all this 100%.

Winfield was my favorite. It's good to see a fellow Winfield fan. He got a lot of shit back then, and most of the people I grew up with were Mattingly guys.

Agree with all this 100%.

Winfield was my favorite. It's good to see a fellow Winfield fan. He got a lot of shit back then, and most of the people I grew up with were Mattingly guys.

Yeah, Boss George mindfucked Dave for years. Imagine if Boss George re-signed Reggie after the '81 season. Those two in the same line-up would have been unstoppable.

Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom