Shuttlecock XIII - Super Deluxe Edition with T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that Edge gets harder and more riff based as he gets older whereas most musicians tend to go the opposite direction.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I find it interesting that Edge gets harder and more riff based as he gets older whereas most musicians tend to go the opposite direction.
Are you saying that based off this one clip? Because Edge's guitar has been one of the weak points (IN MY OPINION) on the last couple of records.

I missed that post, yeah, would love BVS to explain that. He's had some nice guitar parts and there's been some concrete riffs in there for sure but there is no fucking way he's been getting harder. Which would be fine if the songs didn't suck, but a lot of them are weak.

Are you saying that based off this one clip? Because Edge's guitar has been one of the weak points (IN MY OPINION) on the last couple of records.

I missed that post, yeah, would love BVS to explain that. He's had some nice guitar parts and there's been some concrete riffs in there for sure but there is no fucking way he's been getting harder. Which would be fine if the songs didn't suck, but a lot of them are weak.

I'm basing it off this clip and the last few albums. It wasn't a comment about being good or weak, etc. just about his approach. With the exception of a few places on War Edge doesn't have a lot of straight forward riff based songs in his catalog, and ever since Vertigo we're getting more heavily distorted riffs from his playing; Cedarwood, NLOTH, Miracle, this clip, etc.

probably its that much of a weak pint because its so riff based, and they are mostly comprised of riffs that are cliche and dumb sounding. don't get me wrong, some riffs are greatly rock-sounding and drive the song, but....it's, to me, way too straightforward in terms of the approach to a song that it gets so predictable..

also, there should be lots of riff-based songs after War but I guess i wont mention them.

"Tightrope", some are calling it.

I would say the chances of U2 releasing a new single this time next week are about the same as Bono's fat arse being able to walk on a tightrope.

probably its that much of a weak pint because its so riff based, and they are mostly comprised of riffs that are cliche and dumb sounding. don't get me wrong, some riffs are greatly rock-sounding and drive the song, but....it's, to me, way too straightforward in terms of the approach to a song that it gets so predictable..

also, there should be lots of riff-based songs after War but I guess i wont mention them.

:huh:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I am reminded that UTEOTW > Who's Gonna Ride was such a powerful live pairing, especially on Stockholm II. Shame the latter hasn't been played for 10 years...

I still remember the moment they resurrected WGRYWH in 2005, seguing out of UTEOTW into it at the third Boston show. It was unbelievable.

Will never happen, but some sort of adapted extended version of the 'I could have lost you' intro would be tops.

So as pretty much everyone knows, my girlfriend is overseas. Has been for two-and-a-half months now.

Ultraviolet popped in my head the other day. I have always loved that song - in fact, it was pretty much the only thing that made me want to give Achtung Baby another spin when I first heard it. Always loved it, but it's never been like a top 10 or so U2 song for me. But I think that might be changing. Having generalised anxiety disorder I, of course, get anxious all the fkn time. And in those moments I often think of my girlfriend, wishing she was around to calm me down and make me think that everything is going to be okay.

Bono's singing on Ultraviolet is so impassioned. And it's a (kind of) upbeat song, mostly thanks to Edge's chiming guitar, but there's a desperation to it, particularly Bono's vocals. Throughout it he is seeking his love to reassure him that, as everything is crumbling around him, that everything is okay - that's reflected in the yearning vocals surrounded by the take-my-hand guitar. It really is a tremendous song. Ax will come in and knock it down a peg of course but I'm feeling pretty amazed that a song I've known and loved for ten years is suddenly taking on something of a new life.

U2 of the now might be frustrating and I may not listen or be as constantly effusive of the band anymore, but they will forever be my number one, and this is a nice reminder of why.

:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom