RIP Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was in the car with biodad and his wife yesterday when I saw the news on Facebook. Driving for an overnight trip from central Florida to Tampa. Was kicking myself all day for not bringing my iPod.

Wanted to badly to be listening to music and watching clips (didn't even have headphones to listen to stuff on my phone until I was in the hotel). Was insanely glad I had Twitter and Facebook to at least somehow connect with my people. While getting ready for dinner, I was streaming a Minneapolis station and then KEXP on my phone to get a tiny Prince fix. It wasn't nearly enough. I watched a lot of CNN (hell, even Fox news had a good chunk of time devoted to him). I heard DJs crying and watched a friend of Prince break down in tears talking to Don Lemmon.

Just gutted about this. I think once I get home tomorrow night and can settle in with music and really read/watch all the tributes properly, I probably will cry quite a bit.

Prince was one of my first musical loves. Not quite an obsession (Michael Jackson and Duran Duran won out there), but my young teenaged self looked at that dude in purple and felt funny things. I think my mom was relieved when I got out of the Prince phase and took the poster down from my wall - he was half-naked and crawling out of a bathtub, if I recall correctly.

But I always did love the music, and of course came to really appreciate the man's genius as I got older, even if I wasn't always into all of his music.

I contradicted myself in that last paragraph. I always did love the music, except when I wasn't always into all of his music.

Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

I think we understood what you meant. :wink: I was a more of a casual fan and didn't really listen to his stuff from the last 10 years or so. But, from the 80's to the early 90's, he was all over the radio and MTV. He owned 1984 with all of the hits and videos from Purple Rain. Then in 1987, U Got the Look was played constantly on MTV during that Summer. Good times!

He was still pretty big from 1990 to about 1992. The New Power Generation stuff he did was all over. Diamonds and Pearls and that Seven song. Then the legal battle with his record company and the name change kind of over shadowed his output for the rest of the 90s. However he did score another hit in 1995 with Most Beautiful Girl In the World.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was in the car with biodad and his wife yesterday .

Did biodad grow up in the biodome?

BioDome%201.jpg

Sorry, I know this is a somber thread, but couldn't resist. Plus a little levity helps sometimes

He was still pretty big from 1990 to about 1992. The New Power Generation stuff he did was all over. Diamonds and Pearls and that Seven song. Then the legal battle with his record company and the name change kind of over shadowed his output for the rest of the 90s. However he did score another hit in 1995 with Most Beautiful Girl In the World.

Oh yeah. Once his battle with WB was in full swing, he wasn't on the radio anymore.

:hug:s to mikal , cori. :(

What a shock , tho I had heard about emergency plane landing when they reported it.

Was a casual fan, but really enjoyed most of the hits I heard: rain, go crazy, kiss, 1999,
doves cry.

I was actually hoping to go see him in the early 90's before my employment went south

Soooooo talented in so many aspects of music making & performing!

Big :hug:s. to all grieving.

I don't really feel like I know all that much about Prince's music other than a handful of songs, but his death has still bummed me out. So many good people with good taste in music who've posted here over the years are fans. I have a coworker who was so upset by it, I felt so bad for her. Regardless of only being a big fan of a handful of songs due to lack of knowledge, I feel for his fans. Definitely one of those artists I have complete respect for, even if I'm only aware of major singles.. RIP, Prince. I hope all of your fans remember you fondly, and find solace in what your music means to them.

Last edited:
I know there's probably not many American Idol fans here, but Prince made an appearance on the season 5 finale. It was pretty awesome. The best part was that they weren't sure that he would even show up, so they had to be ready for either possibility. He arrived minutes before he was due on stage, performed Lolita and Satisfied, walked off stage, straight out the back door, got into his car and left. :lol:

You can see the video here: Watch Prince Perform on the American Idol 5 Finale (VIDEO)

I am kicking myself for not going to the Fox last week. :sad:

When I think of Prince I think of my formative childhood years in the magical decade of the 1980s. In the sense that as a kid growing up everything seemed, and for the most part, was new and wonderful. It was sensory overload in a way. I had some access to music and MTV, the latter being the new, and that was mostly from being a kid raised by youngish parents.. I have some really distinctive memories of David Byrne's face projected onto the side of a house for the Burning Down the House video and of Prince crawling out of a bathtub for the When Doves Cry video firmly embedded in my mind. Of all the things I've learned and absorbed during my 38 years of existence, those images are burned into memory.

Tonight I went out and drank and sang I Would Die 4 U at karaoke.

Raspberry Beret also made an appearance. Someone put down Darling Nikki but didn't follow through, which was terribly disappointing.

Last edited:
I was watching Idol that season. That Prince appearance was amazing (duh).

At the aiport killing time. Mpls station The Current is doing Prince A-Z, but the stream isn't working for me. So I'm finally spending some quality time blasting Prince on my iPod. Don't have nearly enough on there, though. All of Purple Rain and then 15 other songs.

Listened to a little of the Sirius XM Prince tribute channel yesterday. Off and on. Head 1999 and Kiss 3 times, and then they were dicking around with a call-in show. Come on, get it together if you expect me to tune in all week.

Also, some AMC theaters are showing Purple Rain this week.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

First time I've seen that While My Guitar Gently Weeps clip. Amazing. It is a group of (mostly) lame-looking white dudes doing a serviceable cover of that song and then Prince steps in and blows the roof off with a mesmerising solo that amazingly manages to be simultaneously incredible and totally within the realms of the actual song itself. Wow.

Yeah!! I was like "where the fuck did that guitar go?!"

I read somewhere that George's wife wasn't happy because she wanted it to be only performed by people who knew him/were friends with him, but was persuaded otherwise. And that apparently Prince had never heard of the song until learning it before he performed it.

First time I've seen that While My Guitar Gently Weeps clip. Amazing. It is a group of (mostly) lame-looking white dudes doing a serviceable cover of that song and then Prince steps in and blows the roof off with a mesmerising solo that amazingly manages to be simultaneously incredible and totally within the realms of the actual song itself. Wow.

The look on Dhani Harrison's face was priceless.

Yeah!! I was like "where the fuck did that guitar go?!"

I read somewhere that George's wife wasn't happy because she wanted it to be only performed by people who knew him/were friends with him, but was persuaded otherwise. And that apparently Prince had never heard of the song until learning it before he performed it.

I'll say it again: Harrison should NOT have been the centerpiece of that night, or of the all-star jam. He may have had an great solo career (which is debatable, to be honest), but The Beatles were already inducted previously, and his post-60s work isn't even in the same galaxy as what Prince accomplished. The latter should have been in the spotlight at the end, and he rightfully took it when it wasn't offered. His guitar drop at the end was the perfect "fuck all y'all" to the R&RHOF and any one else who had a problem with his showboating. He earned it.

This is going to be difficult:

1. I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (Sign O' The Times, 1987)
2. Sometimes It Snows In April (Parade, 1986)
3. The Ladder (Around The World In A Day, 1985)
4. Crystal Ball (outtake, 1986)
5. Sexy Motherfucker ("Love Symbol" album, 1992)
6. Pop Life (Around The World In A Day, 1985)
7. The Ride (The Undertaker, 1995)
8. Starfish and Coffee (Sign O' The Times, 1987)
9. The Truth (The Truth, 1998)
10. Fury (3121, 2006)

Almost all the Purple Rain songs are fantastic but I've heard them over and and over and everywhere, and don't reach for the album very often. So I'm not putting anything on my list.

My list would be really casual because I've explored so little beyond Sign O the Times.

I Could Never would also be high on my list. Delectable melody, searing solo.

We have the same #1! Why do you like it so much?

As El Mel said, it's ridiculously catchy, great melodies on both the verses and the chorus. And in the full version, that breakdown and guitar solo are so good.

The Afghan Whigs covered it when I saw them back in the 90s.

Back
Top Bottom