RIP Charlie Watts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's spooky, I was scrolling through HBO Max last night trying to find a movie to watch and I landed on Gimme Shelter. Charlie's face is prominent in the movie as he's the one, along with Mick, who is shown watching the tapes of the Altamont incident. And his drumming in the live sets during the movie has a real energy that I don't think is quite captured on the studio albums. Brilliant. Fucking legend. Really hit hard by this today.

"Charlie's good tonight, isn't he?"

RIP

I keep seeing people compare him to Ringo and I'm finding myself weirdly annoyed by that.

They're similar drummers in that they're unassuming. You don't know the Stones for the drums, but...I don't know Charlie Watts was, in my mind, a legitimate musician.

Ringo is Ringo. He's not a great dummer, I don't dislike him for that (I think everyone knows I love Ringo to death), but I guess I assume that if Charlie Watts wasn't in a band that was so blues-influenced, he would be just as good a drummer there. The Stones' style fit his drumming style really well, that's why he was content to do what he was doing for the time that he was.

Anyways, of course it's me being weirdly negative for no reason, carry on.

I saw an interview with McCartney recently where he said what most people don't realize about Ringo is he kept impeccable tempo; whereas almost all drummers will speed up or slow down slightly over the course of a four-minute song, Ringo stayed right on time, which makes it easier for the rest of the band to stay in rhythm. That was the source of Ringo's greatness, according to Paul.

I saw an interview with McCartney recently where he said what most people don't realize about Ringo is he kept impeccable tempo; whereas almost all drummers will speed up or slow down slightly over the course of a four-minute song, Ringo stayed right on time, which makes it easier for the rest of the band to stay in rhythm. That was the source of Ringo's greatness, according to Paul.

Either I saw that interview as well, or I've heard that before and I totally get that. Completely see that as a great attribute to have in a drummer.

Just listened to Beggars Banquet in full for maybe the first time ever, I've owned it for years. I hate about half of the songs, but the good stuff rules. Salt of the Earth is so good!

I keep seeing people compare him to Ringo and I'm finding myself weirdly annoyed by that.

They're similar drummers in that they're unassuming. You don't know the Stones for the drums, but...I don't know Charlie Watts was, in my mind, a legitimate musician.

Ringo is Ringo. He's not a great dummer, I don't dislike him for that (I think everyone knows I love Ringo to death), but I guess I assume that if Charlie Watts wasn't in a band that was so blues-influenced, he would be just as good a drummer there. The Stones' style fit his drumming style really well, that's why he was content to do what he was doing for the time that he was.

Anyways, of course it's me being weirdly negative for no reason, carry on.

Yeah, this shouldn't even be an argument. Watts had a jazz background before the Stones, a side career in the 90s with his own jazz quintet that released multiple albums and toured. As you said, a more legitimate musician.

Of course, Ringo was perfect for the band he was in.

Just listened to Beggars Banquet in full for maybe the first time ever, I've owned it for years. I hate about half of the songs, but the good stuff rules. Salt of the Earth is so good!

Beggars is my favorite Stones album and maybe in my top 10 albums ever. I can't think of many albums with such a distinctive vibe throughout the entire run time.

I've always thought Beggars is my favorite as well. But it's so tough. The Big 4 (Beggars, LIB, SF, Exile) are all so fucking stellar and I could see arguments for any of them being at the top.

But I think if you'd asked me when I first fell in love with them what my favorite Stones album is I would've said Beggars and I probably still would, gun to the head.

5th favorite for me has always been Some Girls, by the way. Although Aftermath is probably cooler than Some Girls, I didn't own Aftermath on CD when I was a kid for whatever reason.

Yeah, this shouldn't even be an argument. Watts had a jazz background before the Stones, a side career in the 90s with his own jazz quintet that released multiple albums and toured. As you said, a more legitimate musician.

Of course, Ringo was perfect for the band he was in.

Thank you, THIS is almost verbatim what I was trying to say and couldn't quite get the words right.

Beggars is my favorite Stones album and maybe in my top 10 albums ever. I can't think of many albums with such a distinctive vibe throughout the entire run time.

I love Beggars so very, very much. It's my favorite of the Big 4.

But as you all know, I'm a contrarian fuck, so my favorite Stones album is Their Satanic Majesties...

But I think if you'd asked me when I first fell in love with them what my favorite Stones album is I would've said Beggars and I probably still would, gun to the head.

5th favorite for me has always been Some Girls, by the way. Although Aftermath is probably cooler than Some Girls, I didn't own Aftermath on CD when I was a kid for whatever reason.

Beggars was their first album I fell in love with as well. Very strong memories of discovering that one in college and being relieved to finally be enjoying a Stones album straight through. I had a really hard time back then with only enjoying their greatest hits, while trying and failing to enjoy any albums. That's changed over the years, but Beggars was love at first spin.

And I also love Some Girls.

My top 5 is probably:
1) Satanic Majesties
2) Beggars Banquet
3) Some Girls
4) Let It Bleed
5) Exile

After the big four, for me Goats Head Soup would be in contention for the next spot. That is a damn good album that unfairly suffers from coming in the aftermath of Exile.

1. Sticky Fingers (one of the best rock albums of all time)
2. Let It Bleed
3. Exile

Then it's Beggars vs Some Girls. I find both a little inconsistent but both have incredible highs and they are undeniably classics despite a few lesser tracks.

Aftermath and Between the Buttons are also good but which one I prefer depends on the tracklisting.

Satanic Majesties and Goats Head Soup are albums I like more in theory than in practice.

Charlie Watts fucking ruled. I love when he comes crashing in on Salt of the Earth and pumps the energy way up. Seemed like a great guy too. He will be missed.

Last edited:
One of my favorite Stones tracks is Get Off of My Cloud and the drums really kick fucking ass on that one.

Last edited:
1. Sticky Fingers (one of the best rock albums of all time)
2. Let It Bleed
3. Exile

Then it's Beggars vs Some Girls. I find both a little inconsistent but both have incredible highs and they are undeniably classics despite a few lesser tracks.

This is the same for me.

Also, considering it's an album of castoffs, Tattoo You is excellent, the last truly great Stones album.

While Beast Of Burden destroys anything on Goat's Head Soup, and is in my Stones Top 10 songs, I think the latter is more consistent than Some Girls. I could make the case for It's Only Rock and Roll being more consistent as well, but I'm a particular fan of the long-winded Mick Taylor digressions and probably in a smaller minority on that one.

I don't find Tattoo You, as you said a hodge-podge of leftovers, to be great by any standard, its biggest hit now brings to mind a Microsoft commercial, and arguably the only truly brilliant track is Waiting on a Friend.

I reserve "truly great" for the early 70s work, which means they didn't make a masterpiece after their first 10 years of studio albums. At least U2 had a couple in their second decade, if not the third or fourth. And IMO, every single album U2 has released after Zooropa, whatever their flaws, is better than anything by the Stones after Exile on Main St.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom