PRINCE IS GOD: The Official Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Game: Blouses

breakfastcanwaitprincesingleartcover1-400x400.jpg

I had the pleasure of seeing Prince at MSG in December 2009. He actually played a number of his "hits". My favorite song is Raspberry Beret and he played that so I was a very happy dude.

Prince was a guest on the reincarnation of the 'The Arsenio Hall Show' last night. His new official YouTube account (it's verified) uploaded the show in full, as he appeared throughout most of it.

PRINCE on The Arsenio Hall Show (FULL EPISODE) - YouTube
I found it fascinating to watch, especially when he was answering questions from the audience. Loved that he performed with both 3RDEYEGIRL and the New Power Generation.

Got a tip from a friend that Prince is playing a "secret" show tonight at a fairly small venue, one of his protégés Liv Warfield is listed as the performer, supported by the NPG Horns.

The tickets were $50 plus service charge so me and a few others took the plunge and have our fingers crossed. Apparently there's a lot of rumbling on twitter that this is legit. Last time I saw him a venue this small would be at an afterparty in Las Vegas (Studio 54 at the MGM Grand) back in like 2000-2001.

Got a tip from a friend that Prince is playing a "secret" show tonight at a fairly small venue, one of his protégés Liv Warfield is listed as the performer, supported by the NPG Horns.

The tickets were $50 plus service charge so me and a few others took the plunge and have our fingers crossed. Apparently there's a lot of rumbling on twitter that this is legit. Last time I saw him a venue this small would be at an afterparty in Las Vegas (Studio 54 at the MGM Grand) back in like 2000-2001.

Good luck! Hope it works out. I'm so glad I had the chance to see him at an after show. One of the best concert experiences of my life.

The show started with the NPG Horns strolling out on stage while playing When The Saints Come Marching In, which was pretty amazing. Liv Warfield played for almost 90 minutes, and while she has a great voice and was really working up a sweat, only a couple of the songs stood out. Maybe Prince wrote them, who knows. There was a pretty good variety in terms of musical style, including rock, funk, R&B, blues.

After her show we waited almost an hour, during which they were taking all the shit off the stage and turned the house lights on, making us wonder whether there was even going to be a Prince appearance. Then they dropped a semi-transparent black curtain in front of the stage and started setting up new gear, including a giant Androgynous symbol on the mic stand which elicited big cheers from the crowd.

Around 12:15am the NPG Horns came back out and started playing a version of Days Of Wild, with each member having a little solo turn. Then some woman wearing an oversized cap with "BULLS" on it came out, did a little freestyling on the mic, said "Good night", and walked off. After all this, Prince finally came out in this black suit, big-brimmed black hat over his afro, and a huge gold chain set. I don't need to describe all the funky dance moves but he got the energy back into the crowd almost instantly.

Here are the other songs I recognized:

Musicology
Extralovable Reloaded
Partyman

All of these had pretty extended jam sections with the horns, various backup singers (including Warfield) and dancers. He also went into Janet Jackson's What Have You Done For Me Lately? for a bit.

A little shorter of a performance than I was hoping for, but 1 hour of Prince was still insanely good.

The style and length of the show that you describe is very similar to the aftershow I attended about a year and a half ago, only we received a 40 minute Janelle Monae performance as well. Quite a night.

Didn't recognize much from that set, but I know we got Housequake.

Wow. That woulda been epic. Purple Rain solo with horns. Wonder how long it went for. Was only 10-15 minutes at my gig, compared to 40 in Sydney.

Back
Top Bottom