M83

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I figure if everyone else can be so callous about the fact they're stealing, I can be the one person saying, "Hey, that's actually pretty lame". With groups I have a massive love for who I know need all the record sales they can get, it does seem to annoy me even more.

CURBSTOMP 187

For those of you who enjoy Graveyard Girl but can't stand the chick talking in the middle of it, look for the Speechless Edit. Because in that version, she's no longer there...

:drool:

Haha, it probably is pretty lame now that you mention it, but I don't mind it as it reminds me of 'Car Chase Terror!'

For those of you who enjoy Graveyard Girl but can't stand the chick talking in the middle of it, look for the Speechless Edit. Because in that version, she's no longer there...

:drool:

That is wonderful, wonderful news. Really, I am so happy to hear this. Does this song exist in a physical form, or is it fan-made?

I can't figure out if it's official or not. I see it on some blogs, but I can't find any other information about it.

It certainly sounds official. I wonder if it was a promo or something.

Phanan, I'm really sorry for asking this, as I know that Google is my friend, but I have not been able to turn up anything having to do with this song (apart from its being mentioned on a few lists of awesome songs or some playlists, here and there). Can you perhaps take my hand and guide me in the right direction? Like, I'm at a total loss, for a change. Suggestions welcome.

Thank you so much. I know that it's not as though you've saved my life, or something, but I just want you to know that I think that was a cool move, on your part. I just couldn't scrounge up anything! So weird. Like, I could only even find a handful of pages which made mention of the blasted song...! Weird stuff. Really, then, thanks. If you ever need any help with anything, just PM me. I owe you one, from here on out!

So, it's been a couple of years since I last posted in this thread, and I have definitely grown more familiar M83's discography since. I've heard Dead Cities etc, Before The Dawn Heals Us and Saturdays = Youth, the latter two multiple times, while I'm still growing acquainted with Dead Cities. I've gotta say, for better or worse (in spite of the growing dominance of the synth), there is absolutely no band around quite like them. No band with credibility would fill their songs with such pretentious, spacey poetry and bloated arrangements, yet they get away with it because of their baffling scope and the sheer joy their music brings to listeners. Their enthusiasm is truly palpable.

That said, here comes an unpopular opinion: I don't think they've made their masterpiece, or have even come close. The first half of Saturdays = Youth is terrific, but it begins to repeat itself and the songs become less memorable. BTDHU is laughably over the top, and there are only a handful of classics in there, yet the whole record is such a fun listening experience. One of my favorite night records, and probably my favorite by the band. Dead Cities rocks the fuck out and holds up for its (unfortunately bloated) duration, but it's just not as charming as its follow-ups. If M83 were to have released something like this, it would probably be one of my all-time favorite records:

Holy Shit = We Finally Released A Great Album
1. You, Appearing
2. Kim & Jessie
3. Don't Save Us From The Flames
4. Unrecorded
5. 0078h
6. Couleurs
7. Skin Of The Night
8. Safe
9. I Guess I'm Floating
10. Graveyard Girl
11. Run Into Flowers
12. Cyborg
13. Teen Angst

Regardless of their inconsistency, I love their sound enough that I want to keep trying. The debut and Digital Shades are the only ones I still need to hear...are they worthwhile? They haven't received the best reviews, but I'll voluntarily listen to worse new records this year just to look informed.

I'm admittedly a big fanboy for these guys (well, "him" now, I guess), but I still wouldn't exactly recommend either the self-titled or Digital Shades album. They're both decent for what they are, and are still enjoyable listens as an uberfan, but there's not much on there that's necessary or great. I can see where you're coming from as to the consistency of the albums, and I'd agree about Saturdays and Before the Dawn, but I still love them so much that I can't really fault either too much. I don't think Dead Cities has aged wonderfully, but I still think it's their best overall album.

You didn't include Gone or America in your list of songs. Were they left out because they didn't fit with the others, or are you not a big fan of their of those? They're both pretty high on my list of songs by M83. The live version of Gone on the bonus disc of the US release of Dead Cities is fantastic. * seems like it'd fit in your group of songs there.

Holy Shit = We Finally Released A Great Album
1. You, Appearing
2. Kim & Jessie
3. Don't Save Us From The Flames
4. Unrecorded
5. 0078h
6. Couleurs
7. Skin Of The Night
8. Safe
9. I Guess I'm Floating
10. Graveyard Girl
11. Run Into Flowers
12. Cyborg
13. Teen Angst

I would be adding Farewell/Goodbye to that list definitely.

Haha, I thought that too. Really like the clip of the song as well.

http://pitchfork.com/news/43226-m83-announces-new-album-hear-new-track/

On October 18, Mute will release Hurry Up, We're Dreaming, the new double album from electronic haze-pop artist Anthony Gonzalez, known to everyone as M83. Head to this site and enter an email address for the MP3 of "Midnight City", a track from the album. Or click over to Soundcloud to stream it.
Gonzalez has been talking about this album, the follow-up to 2008's Saturdays=Youth for quite a while. Last year, he told Pitchfork, "For now, the direction of the album is very, very, very epic. Very orchestrated. I feel like it's a mix of all my albums, actually." And last month, we learned that the LP would feature contributions from Zola Jesus, Medicine's Brad Laner, Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Beck, Nine Inch Nails), and Saturdays=Youth collaborator Morgan Kibby.

Talking about the album in a press release, Gonzalez cites the Smashing Pumpkins' super-grandiose 1995 double album Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness as a key influence: "I saw when I was a teenager that I could dig into [the album]. It was like a treasure. If I were a teenager nowadays, I would try to find something as creative as this album. They had so much to say in their songs."

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming:

CD1

01 Intro [ft. Zola Jesus]
02 Midnight City
03 Reunion
04 Where the Boats Go
05 Wait
06 Raconte-Moi Histoire
07 Train to Pluton
08 Claudia Lewis
09 This Bright Flash
10 When Will You Come Home?
11 Soon, My Friend

CD2

01 My Tears Are Becoming a Sea
02 New Map
03 OK Pal
04 Another Wave From You
05 Splendor
06 Year One, One UFO
07 Fountains
08 Steve McQueen
09 Echoes of Mine
10 Klaus I Love You
11 Outro

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

New M83!

I was just going to come post the new song. Somehow I knew Mofo would beat me to it :applaud:

going to listen to it now....

Same here. I just mentioned it in the Random thread, but I just listened to it 3 times in a row while going for a walk during a nice sunset. T'was a great soundtrack.

Will be seeing this bro at FFF later in the year, so give me the name of an introductory album please.

I'll confess to having not explored their/his back catalog much, but 'Saturdays=Youth' is really really good. Love me that big warm synth sound.

Yeah, probably go with that first. I honestly love all of his "major" releases (Dead Cities, Before the Dawn, Saturdays). Dead Cities would probably be in my top ten or twenty albums of the last decade, as it really had a huge impact on my musical tastes and such. It's a bit different than Dawn and Saturdays though.

The others can be passed on, unless you realize you love the M83 with the love with which I love the M83, then you can let your love allow you to listen to the others, as you won't find them as boring as those who don't love them with the love which with I love them find them to be.

Back
Top Bottom