Lady GaGa General Discussion - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisi83 View Post
I really like GaGa's music but I would not compare her with Madonna. Madonna was sexy...but Lady GaGa...? I assume that is a question which needs to be answered by the men??

Did you ever ask yourself where she was coming from??? I mean suddenly she was everywhere out of nowhere...pretty good...
thats because this doesnt get you quite as much attention as dressing like a retard

I'm not questioning people who genuinely like her music, but to think shes not a phony bologna is ridiculous

Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Man, she looks a lot cuter like that. Wha...wha happened?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor

Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
everyone in showbiz is at least half phony. even boner.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #84
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Does she even cite U2 as an influence? No? Then she's a liar and I hate her.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

I've heard that she's really a he.

Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen her and Larry Mullen Jr. together? Mmmmm...
Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #86
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I've heard that she's really a he.

Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen her and Larry Mullen Jr. together? Mmmmm...
Sounds like someone needs to start a PIC REQUEST thread.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #87
45:33

Local Time: 11:38 PM
i think she should be in the hof
Old 01-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Madonna picked up so much imagery from the past decades in Hollywood, plus took the zeitgeist of the post-disco'n'punk early 1980's, the rising of MTV and (real) musicvideos, associated herself to designers/stylists/photographers/directors/actors/mythic characters (and to some of NY's "cultural/artistic social cream" of the 80's/90's) and created a formula that won and that she still makes to obtain some juice.

Isn't this what Gaga has been making? Yes. The difference is that Gaga wants to become a fast trendsetter (that Madonna still is sometimes). The difference is that she's wasting "The Madonna formula" so fast, much faster than any other pop-princess of the last 10 years.
This is one of the main reasons why Britney Spears is irrelevant now (as I always predicted): because the Lolita stereotype doesn't work anymore, because the "Madonna juice" has dryed on her and because besides this and the "daughter-of-parents-who-wanted-to-be-artists Syndrome" she has never had any relevance. In 100 years, no one will remember she has ever existed.

Plus, Madonna became a cultural icon, not because of her hits, but: because she has played with the gender issue (using sex for it and letting the public believe that she was always selling sex) for 25 years; because she used and abused of certain imagetics in a very clever way.

Lady Gaga is no more than another product of the Madonna formula wasted neurotically fast mixed with loads and loads and loads of visual noise and lots of drama and pseudo-controversial tabloids (it's fashionable to be bissexual or to look androgynous and it sells a lot these days, and Gaga knows it very well). "Bad Romance" recent video is the best example of that: visual noise and the biggest number of ideas mixed in only one object.

Even the way she constructs her still-short career is too pasted to Madonna's early years... Just like Katy Perry or any other pop princess.

Musically... Yeah, she can compose and produce and she can make good pop hits that are catchy and that will be remembered on the next years (unlike most Hot 100 #1's of this decade because they were instant hits) but...
... none of this is innovative or refreshing. Some of Gaga's songs could've been written somewhere in the early 90's and performed by Snap, 2Unlimited, Ace Of Base or Corona (and this is not a compliment).
Unlike this, Madonna can be a poor singer and composer but she has in her catalogue some very interesting, refreshing and groundbreaking moments.

There's no "new Madonna" (as there's no "new Beatles" or "new Dylan") and no one has told Gaga this yet.

Lady Gaga wants to be the pop singer that is anti-pop.
Well, Bono has become The Fly (that character he invented to recreate and criticise some stereotypes... that he belongs to these days) and I'm not sure anyone has ever told him that.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
This is one of the main reasons why Britney Spears is irrelevant now (as I always predicted)
'twas a bold prediction
Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
because the "Madonna juice" has dryed on her
yucky
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

I'm afraid you don't quite have your finger on the pulse of the pop music world, Aygo, if you think Britney Spears is "irrelevant." You may not like her for whatever reason, and that's fine, but she's just as popular now as she ever has been. Unless maybe I'm missing what exactly you mean by relevance. If you mean record sales, Circus has sold a shit ton. If you mean radio play, her songs have been unavoidable on the radio this year. Add to that a hugely successful world tour and her still constant presence in the tabloid press...the girl's career is going strong.

And when I woke up this morning I didn't think I'd be defending Britney Spears in a Lady GaGa thread on a U2 forum. But such is life on the interwebs, I suppose.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #92
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Agreed!

But yeah, maybe he meant "relevant" as far as cultural impact, in which case I would agree - she doesn't really have that going on anymore.

Although, to be fair, you could argue that Madonna isn't really relevant in that aspect anymore, either. (Which of course does nothing to diminish the impact she's had in the past.)
Old 01-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:38 AM
I'm not sure if we're at a stage where there will ever be anyone with a huge "cultural impact" again.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #94
Blue Crack Distributor

At least not in the way we've known. Would be interesting to see what evolves out of our current pop culture and media shenanigans.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:38 PM
I'm talking about cultural relevance. Britney Spears' relevance in the aspect starts and ends on what I wrote on my comment: she's the Lolita stereotype that was pushed by other people's interests and by parents who wished they were artists when younger. But since she's a mother now and reaching her 30's soon, this stereotype doesn't fit anymore and, besides the "Psychotic antichrist episode" a few years ago that was enough for the public to remember that she still existed, culturally and artistically, her relevance is near to zero. The "x factor" is that the media has always sold her very well. Today she's just another pop singer that still has some big hits and that creates some easy controversy to keep the mediatic attention.

Madonna did it too. She was one of the pioneers of our era to manipulate the media instead of the opposite, but as a control-freak she is, she has always done it in a very clever way and always with some sort of connection with what she was doing artistically at the time.

Is Madonna what she was in the past? No. She's in the same career stage U2 is: consolidation of the act and "crystalization" of an iconic imagetic represented in our culture. It's not Madonna's interest to make "Justify My Love" again - and not because of her age.

Madonna is one of the most mentioned names in books about contemporary cultural studies. She's even frequently mentioned in books about gender studies. Why is it? Easy, because of all that was mentioned above.
Madonna, like The Beatles, Elvis, Dylan, MJ and some other, will be remembered on the next 100 years.
Britney Spears... will she still be reffered in the media on the next 100 years? Yes, but only because of her hits... unless her career changes its itinerary on the next years.

...Same goes to Gaga.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #96
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for the clarification on Britney - I agree.

I'm still curious as to why people are so sure as to what GaGa's relevance/impact/status will be years from now when she's pretty much brand new?

Why not wait to see what else she does in a year or two before slapping the "irrelevant" and "forgettable" labels on her?

You don't like her songs? Fine! You think she's irritating? Great!

Guess she's having an impact already, if people are rushing to write her off so quickly.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Madonna is one of the most mentioned names in books about contemporary cultural studies. She's even frequently mentioned in books about gender studies. Why is it? Easy, because of all that was mentioned above.
Madonna, like The Beatles, Elvis, Dylan, MJ and some other, will be remembered on the next 100 years.
Britney Spears... will she still be reffered in the media on the next 100 years? Yes, but only because of her hits... unless her career changes its itinerary on the next years.

...Same goes to Gaga.
Yes, it is absolutely true that Madonna gets a HUGE amount of attention within cultural studies. Actually, to an annoying point, as someone who is deeply invested in cultural studies, and more specifically, popular music studies. In one class alone this past semester, we read 5 or 6 articles focusing on Madonna. In that class, Britney Spears was also, interestingly, one of the most brought up performers in discussions. Performer being the key word there. She was not brought up for her musical achievements (or her hits), but for the spectacle that she has become. If she is to be remembered in however many years, in my opinion, it will be for the extravaganza, not her hits or music.

I don't think it's necessarily true for Gaga, as it's far too early to tell what path her career will take. She could surprise us all, and in fact, I think she just might have more up her sleeve than we're giving her credit for. Then again, I might be completely wrong too. Only time will tell.

Also, it should be noted that I've heard many rumblings from my cultural studies friends that Gaga (the "Bad Romance" video, in particular) should be subjected to a Foucauldian analysis. So, I'd say, she's probably well on her way to being a culturally relevant performer, both in mass culture, as well as in academia.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

I have no idea if this was been posted in here already or not. But just in case.

It's really worth the lengthy read.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

I'll also say, that for whatever she is and is worth, I kind of love Lady Gaga. At least she's interesting. Plus, "Bad Romance" is kind of phenomenal.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #100
Blue Crack Distributor

Huh, that looks like a good read. Thanks for posting it!

Closed Thread

Tags
lady gaga