Grimes - Visions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently Grimes is also a jewelry designer, and, um, yeah...

NSFW

Very classy. I'll get one for my mother-in-law.

I absolutely love this album. Still can't get enough of Symphonia IX.

watch

Those two new songs are indicative of what will likely be another middling album from Grimes. She writes some of the best songs out there as tracks like "Realiti" and "Oblivion" are some of the best tracks of this decade. Period. But then she always loads her albums with so much forgettable drivel like that SCREAM track above.

I've been addicted to Flesh without Blood lately. Listening to it a lot.

"Flesh Without Blood" is amazing. "Scream" I have little desire to ever hear again.

Yet if RYM is anything to judge by, "Flesh Without Blood" is sellout teen-pop and "Scream" is hypeworthy.

Yet if RYM is anything to judge by, "Flesh Without Blood" is sellout teen-pop and "Scream" is hypeworthy.

:bvs: Flesh Without Blood has a 3.45 and Scream has a 2.76.

All Grimes albums are inconsistent as hell, but as long as Realiti is on it, as well as a few other solid singles, I'll be happy with it. That's about what I expect from her.

Last edited:
:bvs: Flesh Without Blood has a 3.45 and Scream has a 2.76.

All Grimes albums are inconsistent as hell, but as long as Realiti is on it, as well as a few other solid singles, I'll be happy with it. That's about what I expect from her.

"Realiti" is on it, but in a different version and - in my opinion - worse than the previous/demo/video version. I suspected that this new album was going to have some moments that are too polished and it confirms. "Realiti" is one of those moments. It still is a great track, but it sounds overproduced now, comparing to Grimes' previous albums.

It's funny, I was listening to her talk about the album yesterday on Sirius XM, and she said she anticipated a lot of people were going to make comments about it sounding "polished" - that exact word - and essentially that she didn't care, as she finds lo-fi limiting in a lot of ways.

There are some fucking killer tracks on this album, especially the run of "Flesh Without Blood", "Belly of the Beat", and "Kill V. Maim". I love "Realiti" in either version, but I'll take the demo's vocal take over this one.

"Scream" is basically unlistenable though and the album overall is patchier than Visions. I don't get why "Life in the Vivid Dream" isn't after "Flesh Without Blood" like in the music video. Its placement second-last makes "Butterfly" seem like a bonus track.

The pitch-shifted vocal on Kill V. Maim is among my least favorite musical moments of the year and Scream is absolutely horrible.

Otherwise, pretty good stuff. I never expect consistency from a Grimes album, but I got a lot good tracks out of this one. Flesh Without Blood and the title track are my favorites. The new version of Realiti is getting far too much hate, it's not even that different.

Last edited:
Underwhelming record..."Realiti" and "Flesh Without Blood" are obviously great, even if the previous version of "Realiti" was a bit better.

Only new track that really knocked me out was "Artangels"...that's an extremely clever pop tune.

What bugs me is that some tracks or some moments in the album are pretty generic, giving me the feeling that some songs could belong to any other current pop act, something that would've never occur in her previous efforts.
Maybe Grimes found out, sooner than expected, that she needed to step up in terms of "financial freedom" and felt that she needed to make something more generic and more consistent with what's out there now to stay afloat (it's just a conjecture).
My favourite tracks are "Scream", "Life in the Vivid Dream" and "Realiti" (even though I prefer the previous version). The first two I mention are the direction I expected Grimes to follow if/when drifted away from her best-known soundscapes.

I'm really digging this album. I'm not sure where the inconsistency comments are coming from, unless everything is being judged by the standards of Flesh without Blood and Realiti, because the thing holds together well and has a compelling "dance floor horror" (I stole that from the AV Club) vibe going on. The track Artangels is a high point as well.

I'm really digging this album. I'm not sure where the inconsistency comments are coming from, unless everything is being judged by the standards of Flesh without Blood and Realiti, because the thing holds together well and has a compelling "dance floor horror" (I stole that from the AV Club) vibe going on. The track Artangels is a high point as well.

I'm enjoying it a lot too. I loved the demo version of Realiti (one of my most listened to songs this year), and I'm enjoying this new version as well.

Annoyed I still have a month to actually get my own copy of it though, and Amazon doesn't have Autorip to give it to me now. :(

Realiti (original)
Flesh without Blood
Kill V. Maim
California
Butterfly
Realiti
Artangels
World Princess, Pt. II
laughing and not being normal
Life in the Vivid Dream
Easily
Belly of the Beat