Fans of Kendrick, Frank Ocean and D'Angelo, may I present...Anderson .Paak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
This isn't even fair. Who decided it was alright to synthesize the perfect blend of influences to win me over?!
Listened to this shit this morning with the sun rising and it was too nice. Perfect SoCal record.

His rapping/singing voice features a rasp very much like Kendrick's (they worked together on Dre's Compton record, btw) while the beats are heavily influenced by TPAB, Channel Orange and Black Messiah. Anyone who heard the last Miguel record will hear some similarities there too.

Listen to the tunes, peruse these reviews:

Reviews for Malibu by Anderson Paak - Metacritic

And have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah, this guy had some of the better features on Compton (Deep Water w/Kendrick is the best track on the whole thing). Didn't know he had an album out though. Those are some nice songs, The Waters sounds like a Dilla beat. :up:

Yeah, I listened to this last night and it's really great. I think Channel Orange is the most apt comparison here, although something like Heart Don't Stand a Chance draws a lot on D'Angelo. Really nice album.

I heard one of his songs on the radio today. I'm listening to the album now. It's great.

Gave this one a second listen yesterday and it's holding up nicely. How good of an intro track is The Bird, my God.

Oh yeah, that's my favorite song in the album. Those beats :love:

I don't know. I feel like it wears its influences a little too plainly on its sleeve. Trying to give it a few more listens and see if I change my mind, but after two, I can't get into it.

Who owns this? Does it have a booklet? I liked it on first listen but fair to say LM's thread title made my expectations waaaaayyyyy too high. Heart Don't Stand a Chance stood out.

Nah, I didn't overhype this. :wink: In fact, the album has grown on me since I made this thread. Currently it's steady as my second favorite album of the year behind Blackstar.

No clue on a CD booklet since I don't buy CDs anymore, but it sold so few copies first week that he'd probably thank you personally if you bought it.

Last edited:
I don't own it, but I will buy it. I'm not sure LM overhyped it. It's a really good album, and he was pretty acurate on the influences.

Back
Top Bottom