David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SPACE ODDITY!!!

This is my topic, so you have to do as I say. Get Space Oddity. It's very leftish politically too.

The Children of the summer's end
Gathered in the dampened grass
We played Our songs and felt the London sky
Resting on our hands
It was God's land
It was ragged and naive
It was Heaven

:hmm:

I do love Space Oddity as well.

Leftish politically...I like.

I need more convincing :wink:

Though realistically it'll come down to what the music stores have in stock around here :shrug:

U2democrat said:
So I'm guessing after buying Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust I should go for Scary Monsters next? Or Aladdin Sane?

Only my opinion, but if you've got those, I'd go for STATIONTOSTATION, Or LOW, next, followed by, Scary Monsters, Heroes, Diamond Dogs, TMWSTW, Aladdin Sane, Heathen, Hours, 1.Outside, Tin Machine1, Lodger, Black Tie White Noise, Young Americans, Reality, & if you can get hold of a copy of Images, a collection of Bowie's '60's songs before he became famous, there are some real gems on that LP, Sell Me A Coat, London Boys, Little Bombardier, Uncle Arthur, There Is A Happy Land, its an absolute GEM.
LP's to avoid, IMO, Never Let Me Down, Tonight, & Lets Dance, compared to his '70's material real shockers!

jimmmm said:

Only my opinion, but if you've got those, I'd go for STATIONTOSTATION, Or LOW, next, followed by, Scary Monsters, Heroes, Diamond Dogs, TMWSTW, Aladdin Sane, Heathen, Hours, 1.Outside, Tin Machine1, Lodger, Black Tie White Noise, Young Americans, Reality, & if you can get hold of a copy of Images, a collection of Bowie's '60's songs before he became famous, there are some real gems on that LP, Sell Me A Coat, London Boys, Little Bombardier, Uncle Arthur, There Is A Happy Land, its an absolute GEM.
LP's to avoid, IMO, Never Let Me Down, Tonight, & Lets Dance, compared to his '70's material real shockers!

No Space Oddity? :(

How on Earth did I forget Space Oddity, absolutely UberBeaver, Space Oddity's right up there with Heroes, & Diamond Dogs.

Well there are so many different suggestions here I'll make my decision based on whatever Best Buy has....though last time I looked there they had a bunch of weird Japanese imports :huh:

Couple of bargains there 1Step, let us know what you think of them.
I doubt if the Low CD will include the track, "Some Are" it was included on the early '90's re-issue of Low, which has since been deleted, if you have access to a download site try and get a copy, it really should have been included on the original LP.

not enough love here for "A Lad Insane."

"Watch That Man"
"Drive In Saturday"
"Jean Genie"
"Prettiest Star" (that guitar lick was written by Marc Bolan)
"Panic In Detroit"
"Cracked Actor"

It's all rock with vintage Bowie boogie.

There's a 2 disc version out there for this album. Get it. Not only is everything remastered, it has Bowie's studio version of "All The Young Dudes."

AladdinSane.jpg

I'll follow up on that.

The "30th Anniversary" edition of "Ziggy" and "Alladin" are the best reissued records ever. Not only is the remaster great, but the extra discs are worth the extra money. Great live versions, demos, single cuts, and quality rarities.

They cost $25. And they're worth every penny.

And I won't even begin to comment on this DVD :drool:

B00008YLUX.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

or this 2 cd live set:drool: Savage recordings. Heavy as shit.

Savage i tell you. Mick Ronson is my hero.

B00004Y5A8.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Last edited:
Another fine CD to add to anyone's collection is, From The Vaults Of Mainman, its abootleg, but easily obtainable from any decent CD & Record fair, among other things, it includes The 1980 Floor Show, which includes IMO the very best version of 1984/Dodo(you Didn't Hear It From Me), & his duet with Marianne Faithful on I Got You Babe.

MrBrau1 said:
not enough love here for "A Lad Insane."

"Watch That Man"
"Drive In Saturday"
"Jean Genie"
"Prettiest Star" (that guitar lick was written by Marc Bolan)
"Panic In Detroit"
"Cracked Actor"

It's all rock with vintage Bowie boogie.

There's a 2 disc version out there for this album. Get it. Not only is everything remastered, it has Bowie's studio version of "All The Young Dudes."

I picked up the 2 disc version at Best Buy the other day...stared at it for awhile, then decided not to get it because I don't have enough money :tongue:

As if anyone needed to be told;

In July 1999 David Bowie was voted as the "Biggest Music Star of the 20th Century" in a poll of the Sun newspaper. He was also voted the 6th Greatest Star of The Century in Q magazine's poll and the "Most Influential Artist of All Time" by the NME magazine.

The guy truly is a GENIUS!

MrBrau1 said:
or this 2 cd live set:drool: Savage recordings. Heavy as shit.

Savage i tell you. Mick Ronson is my hero.

B00004Y5A8.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I just bought it for 11 bucks on half.com.

The White Light / White Heat you sent a while back is what swayed me.

It's gone very quiet on the Bowie front lately, even BowieNet seems to be struggling for snippets of news, do any USA Bowie fans have any idea, or info on what he's been doing recently, or if he has any plans to do anything in the near future, new LP, any live dates?

I heard a rumour he may be doing some festivals....the one important to me Oxegen:drool:

But only rumours....

LemonMacPhisto said:

I just bought it for 11 bucks on half.com.

The White Light / White Heat you sent a while back is what swayed me.

The second disc is essential. Really, really good stuff. "Changes", Moonage Daydream", "Five Years", "Space Oddity", "Oh! You Pretty Things", "Starman"...ah fuck, the whole thing is brilliant.

MrBrau1 said:

The second disc is essential. Really, really good stuff. "Changes", Moonage Daydream", "Five Years", "Space Oddity", "Oh! You Pretty Things", "Starman"...ah fuck, the whole thing is brilliant.

It came in today with the bonus London 2000 cd.

52 songs for 11 bucks.

I cannot wait to sink my teeth into this.

I've just received Hunky Dory. Just one word: wow!

This album is great on so many levels. I had only truly listened to Low, Heroes and Ziggy Stardust, all of which are great. But Hunky Dory has such great songs. It is stunning!

LemonMacPhisto said:

It came in today with the bonus London 2000 cd.

52 songs for 11 bucks.

I cannot wait to sink my teeth into this.

I got the same package. It's really good.

Ever heard "Sweethead"? Ziggy era out-take :drool:

There's a new tribute CD to Bowie out next month, tracklisting looks quite interesting, the only 1 I've heard is the Tiersen - Divine Comedy cover of Life On Mars?, might be worth listening to.

Here's the Bowie Mania tracklisting...

01 Emilie Simon Space Oddity 04:23
02 PacoVolume The Jean Genie 02:57
03 Yann Tiersen & The Divine Comedy Life on Mars? 03:03
04 Medi & The Medicine Show Rebel Rebel 03:07
05 Microsillon feat. Eugénie Alquezar This is not America 02:50
06 Los Chicros Changes 03:14
07 The Gourds Ziggy Stardust 02:41
08 The New Standards All The Young Dudes 03:25
09 Ask The Dust John I'm Only Dancing 03:19
10 Rhonda Harris China Girl 04:17
11 The String Quartet Ashes To Ashes 01:59
12 Botox Fashion 03:12
13 Cocosuma The Man Who Sold The World 04:20
14 Sacha Sieff & Manuel Armstrong Heroes 07:21
15 Arno & Beverly Jo Scott Jean Baltazaarrr 4’57

MrBrau1 said:

I got the same package. It's really good.

Ever heard "Sweethead"? Ziggy era out-take :drool:

yes :drool:

my favorite Bowie b-side is "John, I'm Only Dancing (Sax Version)"

it kicks 100x more ass than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom