Beach House - Depression Cherry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aaaand with this album, I finally have Beach House fatigue. It's one thing to release a beautiful album that doesn't break the mold every three years, but I think most of Thank Your Lucky Stars actually sounds like leftover material. If you love the first two albums, you'll like this. I know the band said that about Depression Cherry, but it's actually a more fitting comparison for Thank Your Lucky Stars. It's a very hazy, languid record not unlike Devotion (which is my least favorite Beach House album).

That said, Elegy to the Void is top notch and I do enjoy having this on. It's very nice and it was very kind of them to gift us another album so soon. I'll probably listen to Depression Cherry more often is all.

Last edited:
I could listen to Victoria recite the digits of pi for six hours and still not fatigue of her.

Anyway I like this new one quite a bit, perhaps not surprisingly. The AV Club review mentioned that there are subtle experiments going on throughout; I think that is an insightful observation, as there's a bit of atonality in some songs as well as a few new vocal tones for Victoria, especially on Majorette.

It's so weird that they made a bigger push for an album that was just by-the-numbers Beach House and continued the consistent creative decline they've had post-Devotion (in my mind) where the songs are just duller and duller soundscapes and lack real melodies, yet this album they just dropped on everyone at random is their most innovative and memorable in years.

Should of been like, "here's something new" and, later, "check out our surprise album that sounds like everything else we've already done"

If you love the first two albums, you'll like this. I know the band said that about Depression Cherry, but it's actually a more fitting comparison for Thank Your Lucky Stars. It's a very hazy, languid record not unlike Devotion (which is my least favorite Beach House album).

Totally agreed. And Devotion is my favorite of their records and also when I caught them live and also the only one I own on vinyl. :up:

Thank Your Lucky Stars is good, but definitely the less essential of the two releases this year. Nothing on this is quite as memorable as the best moments on Depression Cherry.

Listening now finally. I think if I'm ever asked for my feelings on Beach House again I'll just say "tremendous, beautiful, perfect background music" and save myself the argument.

beachhouse_ticket_zpsvqio3mch.png

I've really gotten into this band the last couple months.
Currently, "Bloom" is my favorite album, with "Teen Dream" a close 2nd. "Lazuli" and "New Year" are phenomenal.
Great music for studying and relaxing, but not for working out. That's for sure. How good are they live? It sounds like their live shows are probably really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Fantastic live band. The last I saw them, they had a fleshed-out show with a live drummer, which added some muscle to the songs in a really good way. Still waiting to see them on this tour.

Also, Victoria is divine, so there's that.

I'm really impressed with their live show. It's so much better than when I last saw them, maybe 5-6 years ago (before Bloom). It helps that they now have a band, of course. Some of the new songs really came to life. Elegy to the Void was something else with the build up and really energetic conclusion. Probably my favorite moment of the night. We got 4 songs off Teen Dream, which made me happy (no Zebra, alas).

Did you see them one night or two nights? I have tickets for Philly 2 and am thinking about grabbing one for Philly 1, but I don't know how different the show is from night-to-night.

I just saw them one night. But they seem to be varying the setlists quite a bit so far.

I decided to only see them one night for the sake of fiscal responsibility, so I'm skipping tonight's show and just going to the one I have a ticket for tomorrow night.

No, you got All Your Yeahs and Beyond Love in the same set. I went to two of their three Melbourne performances and didn't get that. All Your Yeahs once, and no Beyond Love at all.

The sets so far have been varied but have at least some degree of form or structure that can be seen consistently from show to show.

And then they throw a curveball like this:

Beach House Concert Setlist at The Armory, Somerville on March 13, 2016 | setlist.fm

It's not my idea of a great Beach House set, but wow. If I went to multiple shows, a total outlier like that would be priceless, but if I had to pick one set, I think the March 18th setlist would be my choice. Master of None, Gila, Take Care, Silver Soul, 10 Mile Stereo, Myth, Sparks :drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom