Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Haven't started a thread for a new artist in a while, but the last time I was this excited about a new album, it took most of the year to get anyone to talk about them, so maybe this will help.

I don't trust myself with genre tags any more, they seem to be an ever changing beast, but Arlo Parks is listed as a British Neo-Soul / Bedroom Pop artist who has apparently been on the verge of being something pretty great since her debut single three years ago.

Her new album is out today, and I just gave it a listen because it was the first thing I saw on Metacritic's new release list (and also has an 85, currently). Ohhh my goodness. This is one of those situations where if a better album comes out this year, I'll be ecstatic.

A couple of my faves off of her debut album:

And one more from her debut EP:

I just think she's got it all. These lyrics are great. The beats, the grooves. She has a great voice. I'm in love. It feels great.

My hype, at least, is real.

She's been all over Sirius XMU for a while now. I thought "Eugene" was great but can't get past the lyrics of "Black Dog."

I was so confused by what you meant, but I see now that I marked down the wrong song when I was listening to the album. I like "Black Dog" and the Robert Smith name check gave me a chuckle, but what I actually meant to share was this one:

Black Dog is my favorite on this album by some distance, really tender and moving track.

The whole album is solid, maybe a little too reliant on stock trip hop beats but there's some interesting textures on the last few tracks that point toward a promising followup.

Whoa, shit, I almost missed that she's playing here tonight. I would've been a sad. Now I'm Stubhub poor, but very excited.

Back
Top Bottom