Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono, Larry's and Edge's bakcground is in Shalom, an Irish pentecostal group...whether they belong to the Spriit - filled kind of Christian is something thats unknown...born again in the evangelical sense? perhaps. Bono likes to keep a lid on what kinf of stuff he believes in. SO while we know he is a believer rather than a Christian, just exactly what is few and between, yet recognisable as a christian faith.

Please let Bono speak for himself - he has always maintained that he stays away from organized religion of any type.

To go back 22 years and try to pull up a fact from then (his brief involvement in Shalom) to try to substantiate that these are still his spiritual leanings now when Bono has not said so, is purely wrong and shows a desparation for those with these spiritual leanings to associate Bono with them for their own advantages.

To use Bono to further your own spiritual and/or semi-political agendas is just wrong.

Until Bono says that he is a born-again Christian and supports a conservative social agenda, then I think no one should speak for him.

You do not honor Bono by trying to put words in his mouth.

YOU SPEAK IN SIGNS AND WONDERS, BUT I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:applaud:

Jamila said:

Until Bono says that he is a born-again Christian

You do not honor Bono by trying to put words in his mouth.

YOU SPEAK IN SIGNS AND WONDERS, BUT I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:applaud:

First thing I want to say is that "born again" is not some term invented by a particular Christian denomination to describe only them. Every Christian is born-again. It's just the spiritual nature of being a Christian. Read Romans, Colossians, Hebrews, etc. Also, Christ told Nicodemus that unless a man be born again, he cannot enter the kingdom of Heaven. Being "born-again" is what gets you into the kingdom, because "being born again" means that your spirit has been regenerated, it is now perfectly holy and in perfect union with God through Christ.

But I am almsot 100% percent sure that Bono has said he is a born-again Christian. If you'd like I'll endeavor to find a quote or two. I started collecting every article I could find about U2 in 1985 and stopped around 1989. If need be, I'll even get those out of storage.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
80s is correct.

All true Christians are born again - there are no others

Politics has corrupted the meaning of the term.

Do you realise that Catholics here are gravely offended by statements like that? Cop on to yourself and get a life.

Sorry I think I misread your post and overreacted, NBCrusader. Please ignore my previous post and apologies.

Last edited:
As far as I know you are right about that Philk, however, I was raised in a home where we were 100% Jewish and my parents practiced Buddhism. I am and have been a Christian for 15 years now. so regardless of how he was raised as far as i can tell by what he says and professes in his songs he is a Christian, i believe born again. and as far as offending other by the above comments, well for those who read their Bibles you will know that Jesus offended many. are we to compromise so we don't offend? is that what Jesus would do?
On another note, just to put it out there...in LA there is an AMAZING U2 tribute band made up of all Christian men called The Joshua Tree. They are amazing! Let me know if you want info...i guess i am not allowed to post the web site

Bono had a Catholic father and Protestant mother. He had mentioned in some interviews that he had gone to church with his da when he was growing up. I wonder if that makes Bono a Catholic?

As far as he has ever said (not what we think he has said or wish that he would say), Bono refrains from attaching himself to any form of organized spiritual leanings because of his experiences with religious affiliations dividing, not uniting, people.

This is the best FACTS that any of us have about Bono's religious affiliations - anything else is speculation.

LOVE IS BIGGER THAN US....:yes:

Jamila said:
Bono had a Catholic father and Protestant mother. He had mentioned in some interviews that he had gone to church with his da when he was growing up. I wonder if that makes Bono a Catholic?

As far as he has ever said (not what we think he has said or wish that he would say), Bono refrains from attaching himself to any form of organized spiritual leanings because of his experiences with religious affiliations dividing, not uniting, people.

This is the best FACTS that any of us have about Bono's religious affiliations - anything else is speculation.

LOVE IS BIGGER THAN US....:yes:

Being born again doesn't have anything to do with organized religious instititutions. It is quite possible to be born again and never set foot in a church.

agreed. This is something that I realize more and more lately. Too many people think that to show you are a Christian, or to be born again, one must be active in a church or youth group or small group. These are great ideas for certain people. However, if one does not do any of these ideas, it definately does not mean they are not good Christian men or women.

Not to change the subject or anything, but too often, I have seen a church turn into a selfish, ugly organization rather than a family of believers searching for God's will. It is really sad. But welcome to small Dutch-town Iowa...

I don't know if any of you have read a book called "Walk On - The Spritual Journey of U2" - by Steve Stockman?

The author is a Presbyterian minister from Belfast who has been a big follower of U2 for many years. He makes the point that it is difficult for members of U2 to go to any church regularly becuase of the dangers of creating a media circus, or whatever.

It's not a bad book in some respects, it makes clear that the Christian members of U2 have never renounced their beliefs and the Christian element is always there in many (if not all) of the songs.

financeguy said:
I don't know if any of you have read a book called "Walk On - The Spritual Journey of U2" - by Steve Stockman?

The author is a Presbyterian minister from Belfast who has been a big follower of U2 for many years. He makes the point that it is difficult for members of U2 to go to any church regularly becuase of the dangers of creating a media circus, or whatever.

It's not a bad book in some respects, it makes clear that the Christian members of U2 have never renounced their beliefs and the Christian element is always there in many (if not all) of the songs.

Yes, that is a very good book!

The fruit of a mans life is indicative of his faith...we don't know much about the fruit of his daily life unless one of you knows him and is around him often. The only thing we know is the words he writes and the passion he sings them with. Other then that we know he is still with his wife after all these years against all odds. That is good fruit. who cares about all the rest? sitting in church doesn't make you a Christian just like sitting in a garage doesn't make you a car. however, it does say in Hebrews that we are not to forsake the brethren....(I believe it is in Hebrews) the Bible talks about fellowshipping with believers all over the place. that is not to say you can't do that outside of church. there is also being accountable to one another. that too is important. it takes a very disciplined person to read, pray and worship the way God tells us to on their own.

Jamila said:

Just to add a few things here:

Yes, Bono's father was Catholic, but Bono himself was most definitely raised Protestant, and did not go to church with his father. From the Flanagan book, here's a quote from Bob Hewson: "I was Roman Catholic and my wife was Church of Ireland. Which in those days was unusual, it wasn't readily accepted. Both the boys were brought up as Church of Ireland. 'Cause I thought, well, the mother has to raise the children." There are many accounts of how Bob Hewson would drive his family to the Protestant church, and then head off on his own to Mass.

Also, 80sU2isBest, you're right, Bono has in the past described himself as "born again", and he described how sickened he felt when he first came to America and saw how that term had a completely different meaning for many people there, that it had all of this moral majority political baggage attached to it. That what HE meant by being born again was not that at all.

He has also stated, quite recently, and explicitly, that he "believes in God and has faith in Christ". He does attend church, but not regularly, and I have heard that he also is a member of a bible study group. As well, of course, there is his relationship with his pastor, the Reverend Jack Heaslip, an old friend and Protestant minister who has blessed all of the group's tours, and who accompanied them on the road throughout the entirety of the Elevation tour. (How many rock tours have their own pastor? You've gotta love them for that!)

All of the above is documented in a wide variety of sources, and is factual, for whatever it's worth..

Biff, from what source does Bono say that he attends church and that he is a member of a bible study group?

I don't think that we do Bono any favors by inferring for him his spiritual leanings or speaking for him by saying that we've heard that he is a member of a bible study group.

No one here has yet to produce a statement done in the last twenty years from Bono that links him to any terminology of Christianity.

All he says is that "I'm a believer" - that's it." And I have attended speeches by Bono where he has AVOIDED SPECIFICALLY STATING HIS SPIRITUAL LEANINGS. So where does anyone else think that they have a right to speak for him?:tsk:

In the interview that Bono did with the Brasilian interviewer for the release of HTDAAB which was in the EYKIW forum, Bono specifically recalled the times he went to church with his da.

These are not my words, they are Bono's.

I let the man speak for himself. :up:

Sorry, Jamila, but you are completely wrong on this. Just because you are not aware of it does not mean it is not true. Just why are you so intent on insisting that Bono has not avowed his Christianity in the last 20 years, as you say? I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this, but here's just one example, that it took me 10 seconds to find, from Christianity Today, describing a meeting Bono had in 2002 with a group of very conservative American Evangelical Christians.

"Evangelicals often have a nagging question about celebrities who have made various comments about Jesus but who stop short of the Four Spiritual Laws. What do they believe about God? In Bono's case, much to the surprise of the evangelicals at the meeting, the singer answered that question up-front and affirmed his personal faith in Christ."

Here's another from 2002, also from Christianity Today:

"Then there are the words of Bono himself. Forced into a corner at a press conference of Christian journalists last year, Bono finally stated, "I am a believer and I have faith in Christ."

Here's yet another:

"Throughout the Midwest tour, Bono was outspoken about his faith. "That there's a force of love and logic behind the universe is overwhelming to start with, if you believe it," he told Cathleen Falsoni of the Chicago Sun Times. "But the idea that that same love and logic would choose to describe itself as a baby born in straw and poverty, is genius. And brings me to my knees, literally."

There are many, many more.

With regard to the church-going, I would think that Bob Hewson would know into which religion his sons had been raised.
If Bono said recently that he went to Catholic church with his father, you surely can't assume that meant he was raised in that denomination? We know that was not the case. His mother died when he was 14, and by his late teens he was a member of Shalom. So sure, I have no doubt he "went to church" with his father, but not, as you suggested, from childhood.
And yes, Bono has said, even recently, that he attends church. It's not hard to find these sources; there are many. Just do a search. And as to the Bible study group, that also has been referenced many times. I have no reason to make any of this up, but you seem to have a very strong aversion to the idea of Bono being an avowed Christian, despite his own words. Why?

Last edited:
Wow! This is the lamest conversation I have ever had. WHO CARES!?!?! We love the music and the man. He preaches love sooooooo...love one another!!!! If he was reading this he would probable think that we are a bunch of wierdos taking so much time speculating on "what" he is. He is a God fearing men. We know that. Some of you, as Biff mentioned, sound like you want him to not be involved with his faith. Man has corrupted the church not God. People who go to church such as me should be going to strengthen their faith with the knowledge that the people who are in leadership are just that - People, flawed. I am there for God to be obedient and grow in my faith. It is not a bad thing. I am not following man I am reading my Bible and following what that says. With that said......hey Biff we should start a thread for people who talk about the awesome lyrics that Bono writes and how his love for God shines through. If any of you want to read more about Bono's faith go to Christianity Todays web site and put Bono in the site search and quite a few articals come up.....dont worry it wont make you affiliated with any organized religion:wink:

Last edited:
JTsAli said:
With that said......hey Biff we should start a thread for people who talk about the awesome lyrics that Bono writes and how his love for God shines through.

Yes, that's a nice idea. What do you think of Yahweh? Isn't that a dizzyingly gorgeous song of praise? "Take this heart and make it break". Beautiful!
And Falling at Your Feet: "Teach me to surrender. Not my will, Thy will." I love that song.

A very good book on U2 and (their) spirituality is Get Up Off Your Knees, which really opened my eyes to the lyrics Bono writes about his faith in the Almighty as well as the fact I was astounded by the number of songs and preachings or religious/christian classrooms around the world that have have mass discussions on these songs and lyrical meanings related to scripture and Bono's beliefs.....get the book, grab a cup of coffe, let's discuss......

YES!! It's like he knows how to say exactly the things i think and feel about God and the world....i know that sounds corny but it is true. It is also funny that i was drawn to U2's music even before i knew the Lord. I think that says a lot. I was reading about him on the Christianity Today web site about people complaining about the bad language he has used in the past. i am not an advocate of bad language but to me it just showed that he is a man, human and flawed. some people lose perspective when it comes to famous people. sort of like some of the things i have read on Interference, comparing him to Jesus, that he is the closest thing to Jesus? I don't think so and i think that if anyone would say that to him he would correct him. we are all a far cry from Jesus.

It amazes me that I have been a U2 fan since the early 80's and I went thru my :fawning over Bono: stage to the Groupie Gaga stage to fanatical.....lost touch for a bit while raising my son...re-united with U2 again at I think a different scope and chapter of my life when I began to REALLY listen--I mean HEAR the lyrics, and to dig on the meanings, the begin to soak up like a sponge information anywhere, everywhere about what Bono's lyrics really mean. I was raised in a Presbyterian church and consider myself a believer, I DO believe and have a spiritual side....but man, oh man....has U2 opened my eyes and my HEART and SOUL to how I do really feel about God and the World around me! It makes me feel so good, and so alive! And I am also so completely flabergasted that there are SO MANY other people out there....and thank goodness for the Internet!!....that feel EXACTLY THE SAME WAY!!! We are ALL Brothers and Sisters in God's eyes and I think that is such a Beautiful thing! Yawhew! In a small way, though, I do feel that I still haven't quite yet found what I'm looking for........I'm getting closer though. I think the music will help me find that! Thanks for listening! :wave:

Im an atheist so I dont really care but anyway..... on the atu2 site, on the right hand side where the random quotes appear there is often a quote from Bono stating that he feels just as comfortable in once type of church as another. I forget how it goes. The implication is clear - he does sometimes attend church.

I will save it next time it comes around.

that barrier is a royal pain in the ass, the i belong to this segment of the church; roman catholic, protestanism and all the other scisms;pentacostal ,baptist. what division! Who are we fighting for? God or man. Lets all get beyond the divisions.... Christians who are U2 fans just want to know if Bono and the boys are still believers. I think we now have the answers thanks to the Goal Is Soul members shedding the light on this subject. Thanks guys/girls!

biff, by the fact that you will not or maybe can not substantiate your claims about Bono speaks volumes.

I substantiated my statement that Bono said he attended church with his da when he was young. Where is your substantiation that he attends a bible study group? It appears to be all hearsay.

I have no objection to the fact that Bono is a "believer" - so am I.

What I object to is the underlying contention that the idea that Bono is a "believer" means that he subscribes to any evangelical social agenda.

He has never said that he is more than just a "believer". He has never publicly agreed with any sort of evangelical social agenda and you could not produce a shred of evidence to show it.

Bono has historically supported contraception, a woman's right to choose, the right to divorce. He's wholeheartedly accepted people from the Gaycommunity without condemnation, he has historically stood up against the militarism of the USA (in Iraq, in Central America, etc.).

He has unequivocably stood up against the conservative bent in the USA which wanted to prevent Dr. MLK Jr.'s Holiday during the 1980's. He has stood publicly and rebuked the regime in Chile which was put into power by the Nixon administration in the early 1970's.

Bono has been brilliant in bringing conservativesand evangelicals into the fight for Africa's Future.

But that DOES NOT MEAN THAT HE IS ONE OF THEM!

Bono is ABOVE PARTISAN POLITICS AND PARTISAN RELIGION. :up:

And I think that it is just plain wrong for anyone to claim that they know what Bono feels inside himself.

How presumptuous and how unChristian!

We need to speak for ourselves, not for anyone else - including Bono.

I have attended THREE events where I have seen Bno speak publicly and privately on these issues and I can tell you that, while he speaks in general terms of his Love and Belief in God, he will not reveal anything more about his spiritual beliefs.

Why everyone here thinks that they know more about Bono than Bono himself completely floors me.

I am a Christian and I am an activist for Africa. I love Bono for all that he has accomplished for Africa's Future by bringing together the various factions of Christianity to work together on behalf of the world's poorest people.

But I Love and Respect Bono enough that I will not speak for him nor try to use him to further my own personal Christian agenda.

That would be unfair to Bono and unfair to God.

And I will not be unfair to either.

LOVE IS BIGGER THAN US....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila, you really need to read my posts again. Did you not see the actual quotes from Bono himself?
And just because you have attended three (or as you say, THREE)sessions where Bono spoke to a room full of strangers, including yourself, you should not presume to know anymore about Bono than others. Or maybe you have some special insight none of us have?
You also seem to be confusing being a Christian and studying the Bible with having some sort of backward social agenda. Where's the connection, except in your own mind? You make it sound as if someone who goes to church and studies the Bible must automatically be a conservative, close-minded evangelical. That's a thought that will be highly offensive to many people.

biff said:
You make it sound as if someone who goes to church and studies the Bible must automatically be a conservative, close-minded evangelical. That's a thought that will be highly offensive to many people.

Careful there - being a conservative Evangelical doesn't necessarily equate to being close-minded.

Jamila said:
I have no objection to the fact that Bono is a "believer" - so am I.

What I object to is the underlying contention that the idea that Bono is a "believer" means that he subscribes to any evangelical social agenda.

He has never said that he is more than just a "believer". He has never publicly agreed with any sort of evangelical social agenda and you could not produce a shred of evidence to show it.But I Love and Respect Bono enough that I will not speak for him nor try to use him to further my own personal Christian agenda.

That would be unfair to Bono and unfair to God.

And I will not be unfair to either.

LOVE IS BIGGER THAN US....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:
Who said anything about Bono and any "social agenda"? Being "born again" is not a "social agenda". Christ said it himself; "Unless a man be born again, he cannot enter the kingdom of God". As I explained before, when a person becomes a Christian, he/she is born again. If Bono is a Christian, he is born again, and if you are a Christian, you are born again. Where's the "social agenda" in that?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom