Apparently Bono and Edge had their summer house exorcised - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rachel D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: At the Lettuce Bar
Posts: 6,180
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Apparently Bono and Edge had their summer house exorcised

Courtesy of the atu2.com mailing list:

London Sunday Mirror
July 1, 2007

Thug Racists Slam U2 Over Anti-Nazi Blessing

By Niall Donald

Idiot racists have attacked U2 stars Bono and the Edge after the
millionaire musicians revealed they brought in a priest to bless
their holiday home.

They called in the cleric to rid their mansion in the South of France
of demons after discovering it was used by the Gestapo in WWII.

But nutcase bigots have posted a number of messages on white
supremacists website Stormfront.

The website's logo is "White Pride World Wide" and has hundreds of
Irish members.

A number of racists logged onto the website over the weekend to post
messages mocking the U2 stars.

One, who used the codename Wolfe Tone 88 said "I laughed out loud.
Puffs."

Another, who called himself Redser and said he was based in Kerry,
added "I had a good laugh. Bono is some dope."

Another thug who logged on using the codename CleanseByFire said: "I
would loved to have seen these traitors' faces when they found out
what their home was used for."

Bono and the Edge bought the beachfront pad in 1993 for more than
EUR3million but have since renovated the property.

They regularly entertain friends at the retreat in Eze-sur-Mer
including David and Victoria Beckham and cyclist Lance Armstrong.

© 2007 Sunday Mirror; London.

Has anyone heard about this before? I think it's interesting - if it's true - because it demonstrates how important spiritual matters are to U2. I don't think most people, especially celebrities, would even believe in demons, let alone care that they might be in their house. If I remember correctly, Bill Flanagan's book mentions a similar occurance in which the band didn't like playing in a stadium that Hitler had built because it was "full of demons."

I say thumbs up to the band for taking spiritual things seriously.
__________________

Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Racism
Excorcisms
__________________

BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rachel D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: At the Lettuce Bar
Posts: 6,180
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Well, they didn't exorcise a person; that would be creepier. I've heard of people doing this with buildings, especially if it was previously used for evil purposes like this one was.

But, yeah, white supremecists should just get over it.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
love2bmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: running down the road like loose electricity
Posts: 5,529
Local Time: 04:42 AM
well, anyway, I doubt the house was USED for anything evil. It's not like they were holding prisoners there or something. It is kind of creepy to think about the upper eschelon of the SS staying in your house, but it was probably just a getaway, vacation house for them, the way it is now.

and, white supremacists suck
love2bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 04:42 AM
I guess France doesn't have disclosure laws like the US does.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by love2bmama
well, anyway, I doubt the house was USED for anything evil. It's not like they were holding prisoners there or something. It is kind of creepy to think about the upper eschelon of the SS staying in your house, but it was probably just a getaway, vacation house for them, the way it is now.

and, white supremacists suck

JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Refugee
 
rihannsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 1,310
Local Time: 06:42 AM
I'd love to see another source on this. Could be the band just had the house blessed, which would not be unusual in and of itself. Exorcising demons is a bit beyond a blessing. So was that part added in by the supremecists because of the houses history or was that mentioned in why they were having the house blessed. When did they reveal this? And when was the blessing done? If it was when they bought the house it was probably a customary thing for them to bless the places that they live. After all they have a blessing at the beginning of their tours so why wouldn't they bless their houses?

Dana
rihannsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 12:42 PM
The article doesn't mention exorcism, and neither does the blurb posted in the thread in Stormfront (you can Google it easily) which I take it was the 'source' for the article.

In any case I don't see what this, if true, would have to do with how 'spiritual' they are...the idea being there must be evil Gestapo ghosts lurking around the house and that might endanger their souls somehow, or what?
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
Refugee
 
rihannsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 1,310
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
The article doesn't mention exorcism, and neither does the blurb posted in the thread in Stormfront (you can Google it easily) which I take it was the 'source' for the article.

In any case I don't see what this, if true, would have to do with how 'spiritual' they are...the idea being there must be evil Gestapo ghosts lurking around the house and that might endanger their souls somehow, or what?
But the article does mention demons and I would like to see where Stormfront got their information since the article only references what is on Stormfront's site. I am not going to visit the Stormfront page myself because I won't give them the satisfaction. I am curious about where they came up with the info that they posted on their site as the article does not mention what Stormfront's source was.

Dana
rihannsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Jeannieco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Posts: 4,992
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by rihannsu
I'd love to see another source on this. Could be the band just had the house blessed, which would not be unusual in and of itself. Exorcising demons is a bit beyond a blessing. So was that part added in by the supremecists because of the houses history or was that mentioned in why they were having the house blessed. When did they reveal this? And when was the blessing done? If it was when they bought the house it was probably a customary thing for them to bless the places that they live. After all they have a blessing at the beginning of their tours so why wouldn't they bless their houses?

Dana
Hey Dana! I was just going to post this very thing.
I'm Irish and was raised Catholic, (not that this is relevant) but it seems to be an Irish/Catholic thing because we had our Priest come to our house and bless our home and "all who dwelled in it" as well.
Jeannieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #11
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rihannsu
But the article does mention demons and I would like to see where Stormfront got their information since the article only references what is on Stormfront's site.
It didn't mention demons either, it was just a very short blurb someone had posted saying Bono and Edge had flown in a priest to bless their house after discovering it had been a local Gestapo headquarters during the War. There wasn't any apparent other source. Although for all I know, this could be something that made the Irish tabloid circuit recently.

I thought it was the case, though, that Catholic exorcisms are specifically for driving demons out of people? I've never heard of a Catholic ritual for driving demons out of buildings. Also, as mentioned earlier, I didn't think the Catholic notion of demons was such that one would assume a house likely has them hanging around simply because some Gestapo happened to use it 60-odd years ago.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:54 AM   #12
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
 
Carek1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: wishing I was somewhere else....
Posts: 124,559
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by love2bmama
well, anyway, I doubt the house was USED for anything evil. It's not like they were holding prisoners there or something. It is kind of creepy to think about the upper eschelon of the SS staying in your house, but it was probably just a getaway, vacation house for them, the way it is now.

and, white supremacists suck

You don't feel the Gestapo were evil? By nature they were! Have you read the history books? Still, how many are still on this earth who lived through experiences at the residence address who can give firsthand accounts of what REALLY went on during that era?

If it were me and I were to have learned this bit of info I'd be a bit creeped out, especially if some strange feelings, vibes or hauntings were happening!
Carek1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
especially if some strange feelings, vibes or hauntings were happening!
You're jumping to conclusions here.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
love2bmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: running down the road like loose electricity
Posts: 5,529
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230



You don't feel the Gestapo were evil? By nature they were! Have you read the history books? Still, how many are still on this earth who lived through experiences at the residence address who can give firsthand accounts of what REALLY went on during that era?

If it were me and I were to have learned this bit of info I'd be a bit creeped out, especially if some strange feelings, vibes or hauntings were happening!
I didn't say the gestapo weren't evil. Of course they were. I'm just saying that the fact that some members of the SS may have or even if they in fact did stay at that house, it doesn't mean anything horrible or evil happened in the house.

I also said that yes, it would be creepy to find out that those people had stayed at the house, but that doesn't mean that it was haunted or needed to be exorcised.

I think they probably had someone come and bless the place, and everything beyond that has been nothing but conjecture and jumping to conclusions.
love2bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,242
Local Time: 07:42 AM
A house blessing isn't unusual. Our family priest came and blessed our house in Michigan after we moved in. We aren't Irish, btw.

As for the Nazis in the South of France, if it is true that they occupied the Edge and Bono's house, then I'd definitely want to have it blessed. I don't think it's exactly an exorcism, since for that to happen, you have to believe the devil was present.
silvrlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
War Child
 
Devlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 922
Local Time: 11:42 AM
Eh? Don't get it, personally. So they got their house blessed after renovating it. Who. Bloody. Cares.

Mayhap that selfsame priest can bless my wicked-swollen tonsils and post-nasally drippy infected sinuses. Rid that of some demons, too.
Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:26 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 12:42 PM
Sounds more of a blessing to me than anything else, nothing unusual. The whole story is weird, who knows if it's even true.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,749
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Devlin
Eh? Don't get it, personally. So they got their house blessed after renovating it. Who. Bloody. Cares.
Right! House blessings aren't an unusual practice, wherever the family who believes in such rituals chooses to live.

I think whoever wrote this article were jumping to conclusions, and so were the people who posted the comments in the thread. It just looks as though somebody is trying to stir the pot. I've seen worse things said about U2 on u2 fan sites anyway
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #19
The Fly
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 163
Local Time: 11:42 AM
House blessings are quite common in our Catholic parish here. Charasmatic Christians do have a ritual called spiritual cleansing for a house or building where it is believed something evil happened or where evil people once inhabited it. That's not an unusual practice either for charasmatics.
Sister Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rachel D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: At the Lettuce Bar
Posts: 6,180
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Moon
House blessings are quite common in our Catholic parish here. Charasmatic Christians do have a ritual called spiritual cleansing for a house or building where it is believed something evil happened or where evil people once inhabited it. That's not an unusual practice either for charasmatics.
That's true, it's not a just a Catholic thing.

I've heard of people doing things like this if they convert a building into a church, especially if it had previously been used for nefarious purposes or by a bad group of people.

As for the article, I really don't know anything about this particular publication, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. But I didn't post it for a news story; I posted it because it deals with spiritual stuff and I thought it was interesting.

The reason I used the word "exorcised" is because that's what you do when you remove demons from somewhere, right? It doesn't have to necessarily be from a person.
__________________

Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×