IO: Punctuation is your friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why isn't it a noun? And yes, I know it's a bad sentence. I was just trying to think of a quick example.

af⋅fect1  [v. uh-fekt; n. af-ekt] Show IPA
Use affect in a Sentence
–verb (used with object)
1. to act on; produce an effect or change in: Cold weather affected the crops.
2. to impress the mind or move the feelings of: The music affected him deeply.
3. (of pain, disease, etc.) to attack or lay hold of.
–noun
4. Psychology. feeling or emotion.
5. Psychiatry. an expressed or observed emotional response: Restricted, flat, or blunted affect may be a symptom of mental illness, especially schizophrenia.
6. Obsolete. affection; passion; sensation; inclination; inward disposition or feeling.

Usage note:
Affect1 and effect, each both noun and verb, share the sense of “influence,” and because of their similarity in pronunciation are sometimes confused in writing. As a verb affect1 means “to act on” or “to move” (His words affected the crowd so deeply that many wept); affect2 means “to pretend” or “to assume” (new students affecting a nonchalance they didn't feel). The verb effect means “to bring about, accomplish”: Her administration effected radical changes. The noun effect means “result, consequence”: the serious effects of the oil spill. The noun affect1 pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, is a technical term in psychology and psychiatry. Affect2 is not used as a noun.

ef⋅fect  [i-fekt] Show IPA
Use effect in a Sentence
–noun
1. something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence: Exposure to the sun had the effect of toughening his skin.
2. power to produce results; efficacy; force; validity; influence: His protest had no effect.
3. the state of being effective or operative; operation or execution; accomplishment or fulfillment: to bring a plan into effect.
4. a mental or emotional impression produced, as by a painting or a speech.
5. meaning or sense; purpose or intention: She disapproved of the proposal and wrote to that effect.
6. the making of a desired impression: We had the feeling that the big, expensive car was only for effect.
7. an illusory phenomenon: a three-dimensional effect.
8. a real phenomenon (usually named for its discoverer): the Doppler effect.

:scratch:

It's still really just the little things that get under my skin. Your/you're, their/there/they're, the list goes on. But all of this pales in comparison to the pure laziness of not PUNCTUATING one's posts!!! How much effort does it take to put a period at the end of a complete thought?

That pretty much supports what I said except the noun part. I was always taught that a noun was a person, place or thing (thing being tangible or physical). Effect relates to the implications of a stimulus on a person, place or thing.

Fair enough the site calls it a noun, and I'm sure it knows more than I on the subject, just goes against what I was always taught.

That pretty much supports what I said except the noun part. I was always taught that a noun was a person, place or thing (thing being tangible or physical).
a noun is a person, place, thing, or idea
eng101.gif

(idk, for some reason i felt like i had to contribute. plus the stupidity of classmates in my history class is making me homicidal.)

The apostrophe has three uses:

1. to form possessives of nouns
2. to show the omission of letters
3. to indicate certain plurals of lowercase letters

They're not to randomly stick in any word that ends with the letter s. :scream:

Since English is becoming more popular in German language some people put an apostrophe in every word that ends on 's'. We call that Deppenapostroph (depp could be translated as idiot). It's painful to watch. :sad:

His ancestors are German I think. He knows about the German meaning, but said he doesn't mind. :wink:

:uhoh: . . . they scare the ellipses out of me :wink:

I have to agree with you :uhoh:

:sad: Here in Holland people are doing it too. We barely use the apostrophe in our language. WHY add it when it's not needed?

Yes. That makes me cry :(

My Dutch teacher in high school could get so worked up about people using those wrong, or any other faulty grammar for that matter. She really got crazy :wink:

I think anytime they log onto an online forum all they've ever learned about proper punctuation, grammar and spelling just gets temporarily erased.

i think i log on and don't give a fuck .

and i will use as many exclamation points or dots "elipses" (for the smug people in the room) as i bloodywell like.
i have enough gramamar, spelling and punctuation nazis in the real world to contend with.

and smilies are your friend.

:cute: I think I . . . L:heart:ve you!!!! :hi5:

(as to the 'why is punctuation not so evident anymore' post above somewhere (< is lazy today :reject: ). . . I do think it has everything to do with the way the kids are taught - there seems to be more of a focus on 'broader learning' as opposed to getting the fine details right - sure it's boring for the kids (and quite possibly) the teacher but it's being let go to the detriment of todays children.

To be fair to teachers / the system of learning, parents also have a responsibility - but then there is the conundrum of perhaps the parents don't know themselves . . .:gah: and when you add in the speed and availability of everyday communication - mayhaps ( :D ) it is just the natural evolution of language?

Have to say I agree with the idea to that for many people, :whistle: self included, the internet is their 'playplace' and if you're just trying to have some funm then pfft to the rules of the everyday world :) )

ps - quite like that analogy of people being as stupid as grapefruits - have stashed it away for future use, thanks :up:

i think i log on and don't give a fuck .

and i will use as many exclamation points or dots "elipses" (for the smug people in the room) as i bloodywell like.
i have enough gramamar, spelling and punctuation nazis in the real world to contend with.

and smilies are your friend.

Pretty much the way I see it too. :up:

or you could use them in place of letters. it's f:happy:n!

C:ohmy::ohmy:l

I don't know, my approach is that I post the same way I type anyway that makes whatever I'm saying make sense to anyone who has to read it, therefore I try and spell things right, keep some grammatical structure, etc...

Liberties are taken, sure, but overall it should at least be legible and not there

just to

b
e

there

you know:huh:

I think anytime they log onto an online forum all they've ever learned about proper punctuation, grammar and spelling just gets temporarily erased.

I'm going to sound so awfully old now, but I have to say it anyway. I do believe it's a generation issue. Younger people today use the internet as one of the biggest communication tools. There is no internet editor though, so the language slips. When we were all younger, we read magazines, newspapers, books. All that information we previously got in print is now without an editor to ensure it is well written. Bad writing habits become like popular words or phrases, so 'ridiculous' is commonly thought to be 'rediculous' and 'definitely' is now 'definately' etc. Like 'lol' and others which are just popular, but lazy.

I am terrible with commas. I use them incorrectly. I think they're my biggest wrong.
:reject:

I agree fully with you Anna, it's definitely a generation issue. I think I just escaped from the whole thing by not having a computer until highschool. It makes me feel old now, when I see kids being spoiled with computers and games and such and their spelling and grammar is atrocious. :crack: I am not THAT much older, but it's a world of differences. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom