ow!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
one of my wisdom teeth is coming in. it's hurting like a mofo. luckily, i've had my husband and my mom look at it, and it's not impacted. i didn't even know what that meant till they told me, stupid me could've figured it out myself once i found this out. anyway, it's not started poking its ugly head yet, so that's why it hurts.

unfortunately, i don't get dental insurance till november 5th and i can't get it taken out till tuesday, december 10th. why? well, my husband finally has a full time job, but the insurance doesn't kick in till november 5th, when his 90 day probation is over. and i can't get them taken out till then because that's when my fall semester is over. since i know i'll be out for *at least* a day, i can't really afford to miss any classes, esp. cuz starting in november, that's when classes really get hard, and when thanksgiving is this year, we start exams almost right after that.

i just hope they don't start poking out before then and become impacted, cuz like my mom said, i could run the risk of infection. plus, i hope i feel 100% in less than two weeks. my husband's parents are coming down for christmas, and i can be bitchy anyway, and i really don't want to be in any pain or have to sit there and eat jell-o for christmas. :(

oh yeah, and my tongue is all numb from the nasty orajel i keep putting on the area. :yuck:

My wisdom teeth have been coming in for four or five years now. Two of them are completely in, and two are partially in. With mine, they'll hurt for a couple of days and then not hurt again for a VERY long time (8 or 9 months).

I feel your pain, I really do...its seems like mine have been coming for 10 years...I've got one on the right that is just poking out and hurts every couple of months. We have dental insurance but it SUCKS.

My husband just went in and found out he needs major work done, to the tune of $8000 :help: And that's WITH insurance :mad: I wonder what the hell we even pay the premiums for if our share is that high.

one of mine got infected and i had it pulled. it hurt like hell 'til they pulled it out. well, lucky me got another infected wisdom tooth and i said "to hell with having to go through it another two time so i had them pull the rest out. i only paid $400 and i didn't have insurance. open wide!!! :lol:

i had all four removed and when the anesthesia (sp? :der: ) started to kick in i thought i was in a music video.

try eating special brownies meggy.

the sleepy gas made me :sad: a lot but not :barf: . my brother got all crazy and told the nurses he was on the pill or something. they were reading him the list of things that might be affected by the sleepy gas and he turned into a wacko and started yelling. it made my mom :eek: and :angry: .

my family is weird.

they gave me the choice of full anesthesia or novocaine, I took the novacaine, it wasn't the most pleasant experience in my life, but it was tolerable I guess....not pain free by any means though, I reccomend ppl get the total anesthetic.

U've heard my story KR, You'll feel "wiser"

Good luck to you with the painful they can be things. I have read quite a few posts here about wisdom teeth , we all go through it at some stage. My eldest son's have just started to bother him a bit....oh no!!!
I had mine out under with local anaesthetic, you can do it if ya have to. The last 2 were rugged. I had a new born baby in the waiting room and the dentist said...I still recall this:laugh: "take her home and give her a whiskey...I'm going to have one!' Wild west stuff:laugh: :lmao: wonderful man.
:hug: KR, you'll be right, but yes, the timing is unfortunate...Christmas, in-laws AND wisdom teeth. That is too much geting of wisdom in one go for any one:hug: again

Bono's American Wife said:
My husband just went in and found out he needs major work done, to the tune of $8000 :help: And that's WITH insurance :mad: I wonder what the hell we even pay the premiums for if our share is that high.
:eek:

what does he have to get done? my dad needs major dental work done too, and my parents were always told it'd be several thousand dollars including both of their insurances (they were the ones who quoted the figures). anyway, they found out both will cover all, or almost all of it. he has to get the rest of his teeth pulled. so until the dentures come in 2-3 weeks later, as of tomorrow, he'll be toothless! now he'll really fit in here! :laugh:

thanks everyone for the kind words and stories. it helps me feel better and not freak out so much to know that there's lots of people who've been in the same boat. and oh yeah, martha, i've been taking tylenol once or twice a day now and it's been helping a lot. it feels like it takes the swelling down which is really the only thing that hurts. i can poke it (i accidentally did this when i was dabbing some anbesol on with my scary nails) and it doesn't hurt but just a little. but that could be the tylenol too but i don't care! :D i just have to be careful of what i chew.

:hug: to everyone! :D

duh, i should read this place from top to bottom

Lately my lower back right tooth has been hurting like a mofo, and since I've obviously got no insurance :)yell: ) I'm being stupid and waiting this out. Mom's already gotten me new contacts and a 'puter this year, so...dental work would be pushing it.

I hope you feel better soon, Khan. And damn, BAW, your poor hubby! :sad: :hug:

Last edited:
Ouch!

I had four impacted taken out when I was in high school- mainly because I had had braces before then and if the came in my teeth would have moved. Ilooked like a chipmunk for at least a week.

I was knocked out for the procedure - only I dont remember falling asleep - because when I woke up, I thought they were just starting and the the medication wasnt working. I was blinking like crazy try to let them know ...:D

KhanadaRhodes said:

:eek: what does he have to get done?

Everything!

He needs to have his old crowns replaced ($795 x 4)

a surgical deep cleaning below the gum-line ($680 per quadrant)

a bone graft and flap replacement ($650 per quadrant).

a regular cleaning ($40 per quadrant)

irrigation ($30 per quadrant)

For a grand total of $8780

We're going to start with the most necessary procedures and try and have one done every 2 months or so. They tried to get us to finance the whole amount but this much work is going take at least 6 months and I don't want my $8780 sitting in their account earning interest for them so we'll just try and work it out the best we can. :|

UGH...I've been there

Khanada, sorry to hear it....I had this prob, too. My wisdom teeth came in years ago and were painful and I ignored them and lived with the pain (idiot that I am) for years before succumbing to the dental chair to get them taken out. I don't know WHYWHYWHY I didn't do it years ago. I was a big chicken shit. :no: :scream:

Just keep and eye on them, and I'd call your doctor or dentist to see if they can at least give you some pain meds until you can get them removed. You'll be SO glad you did....and it's so painless nowadays (I should know - I'm the BIGGEST scairdy cat when it comes to dental pain!) :shifty: :crack: :hide

and BAW - damn, that sucks! Poor hubby...yeah, dental insurance = ONE BIG JOKE!!! :madspit: Why can't they come up with a "copay" of like $15-$25 for dentists like they do for doctors???

Discoteque said:
Khanada, sorry to hear it....I had this prob, too. My wisdom teeth came in years ago and were painful and I ignored them and lived with the pain (idiot that I am) for years before succumbing to the dental chair to get them taken out. I don't know WHYWHYWHY I didn't do it years ago. I was a big chicken shit.
:hug: thanks :D

my wisdom teeth have been coming in forever. since at least 1997, they've been sitting below the gumline (not high enough to bother me, but close enough to show up on the x-ray). it's stopped hurting a lot for now, so that's good.

i'm relieved everyone's said how painless it is. i've got a high tolerance for pain (i guess...i've had my ears pierced three times and got four tattoos...) so i hope i'm fine. it's been so long since i've had any teeth pulled. when i was a kid, i had to get a lot of my baby teeth pulled when the permanent ones would come in and the baby ones hadn't even come loose.

i've not had a cavity in years (although the last one hurt cuz i wasn't very numb, ugh) so i've almost forgotten about how that crap works. my husband told me they sometimes give people vioxx now!! :laugh:

i'm lucky...my husband has veeeery good insurance. only a $50 yearly deductable, and exams are totally free (you don't even pay the deducatble) and even if i needed orthodontical work, that'd be 60% covered! :love: :D

my mouth is HUGE.

therefore i can keep them.

woo. :D <---me with a full mouth of teeth.

sorry 'bout yer husband char...that blows.

Back
Top Bottom