My Heritage/Nationality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
have you ever had Dutch salted black licorice (druppies, we call them)?

I :barf: just from the smell! And of course I'm 100% Dutch so most of my family and friends love them.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I :barf: just from the smell! And of course I'm 100% Dutch so most of my family and friends love them.

Oh ja, waar kom je vandaan dan???

Ik vind drop heerlijk, dus je kunt volgens mij geen 100% nederlands zijn als je ze niet lekker vindt..

Last edited:

Oh and its drop, not druppies:shame:

verstaan iemand afrikaans of is dit slegste die Suid Afrikaanse boer and nie die Nederlandse mense wat my verstaan nie?
Ek net vra want ek can jou verstaan - nie die hielege ding nie maar n bietjie...

en, as jy vra, ek hou nie van droppe nie, maar dis goed want ek is rerig engels - dis net dat ek die taal in skool geleer het :shrug:

oj ja, jammer if alles wat ek se is verkeerd maar dis meer van 5 jare dat ek afrikaans gepraat het?

Last edited:
digsy said:
verstaan iemand afrikaans of is dit slegste die Suid Afrikaanse boer and nie die Nederlandse mense wat my verstaan nie?
Ek net vra want ek can jou verstaan - nie die hielege ding nie maar n bietjie...

en, as jy vra, ek hou nie van droppe nie, maar dis goed want ek is rerig engels - dis net dat ek die taal in skool geleer het :shrug:

oj ja, jammer if alles wat ek se is verkeerd maar dis meer van 5 jare dat ek afrikaans gepraat het?

Het kost een beetje moeite, maar dan kan ik het goed lezen hoor.

:up:

Ageeth said:

Oh ja, waar kom je vandaan dan???

Ik vind drop heerlijk, dus je kunt volgens mij geen 100% nederlands zijn als je ze niet lekker vindt..

Sorry, I can't write Dutch, just German and English, but I can read Dutch, Yankee Dutch, and German.

We live in Michigan (I was born here, in an almost purely Dutch community), but our family line is from the Groningen area, going back to the 1600s. They always say I'm the odd one b/c my eyes are dark brown and I HATE druppies! Actually, it's not really druppies, but ALL licorice candy regardless of color or flavor. not lekker, NOT lekker :no: hehe. There's a lot of Dutch/family stuff everyone loves that I can't stand. That aside, I have more Dutch blood in me than most people in Holland!

They always say I'm the odd one b/c my eyes are dark brown and I HATE druppies!

do you look anything like the milkman or the postman???
:wink:

digsy said:

do you look anything like the milkman or the postman???
:wink:

:lol:

I look like my dad, brown hair, dark eyes. My dad's side is entirely Dutch, but my mom's side actually acts Dutch. Everyone on my mom's side has blue or hazel eyes. I'm really the only person w/ brown except my two cousins adopted from Korea.

Anyway, vomit jelly beans, eh? No thank you!

Sorry, I can't write Dutch, just German and English, but I can read Dutch, Yankee Dutch, and German.

We live in Michigan (I was born here, in an almost purely Dutch community), but our family line is from the Groningen area, going back to the 1600s. They always say I'm the odd one b/c my eyes are dark brown and I HATE druppies! Actually, it's not really druppies, but ALL licorice candy regardless of color or flavor. not lekker, NOT lekker :no: hehe. There's a lot of Dutch/family stuff everyone loves that I can't stand. That aside, I have more Dutch blood in me than most people in Holland!

How can you have more dutch blood then most people in Holland?
You are not living in Holland and you dont speak/write the language :huh:

Ageeth said:

How can you have more dutch blood then most people in Holland?
You are not living in Holland and you dont speak/write the language :huh:

Every single person in my family line going back to 1600 is Dutch. Waaaaay back, they all married people from the same community (they were peasants at some castles). Once they started coming to the US, the same was true, everyone married the Dutch, not any Irish, Polish, Italians, etc. Like, one of my relatives who immigrated here, his first wife died and instead of marrying an American, he wrote home and they found a young woman in the community (in Groningen) who wanted to move to the States and she came over to become his new wife. Same on both sides, you marry Dutch (I just got engaged and my fiance is Dutch from our sister Dutch community in Iowa!). Everyone is Dutch. Of those born in America, their parents came straight from the Netherlands.

The community I live in here is more homogenously Dutch than many cities in the Netherlands (just ask any of our exchange students from Holland). We're like a China Town or Little Italy, but for the Dutch. It's weird b/c our Dutch language and traditions have not advanced with time like those actually in the Netherlands. Our parents and grandparents came over and our language has remained the same, as it was in the 1800s, thus our Yankee Dutch, or my family's dialect (Gronix, no clue how it's spelled in Dutch), has been preserved. I've never taken Dutch class or Dutch lessons, but I can read Dutch enough to get by, and read our Gronix and Yankee Dutch fluently.

/today's genealogy lesson

Every single person in my family line going back to 1600 is Dutch. Waaaaay back, they all married people from the same community (they were peasants at some castles). Once they started coming to the US, the same was true, everyone married the Dutch, not any Irish, Polish, Italians, etc. Like, one of my relatives who immigrated here, his first wife died and instead of marrying an American, he wrote home and they found a young woman in the community (in Groningen) who wanted to move to the States and she came over to become his new wife. Same on both sides, you marry Dutch (I just got engaged and my fiance is Dutch from our sister Dutch community in Iowa!). Everyone is Dutch. Of those born in America, their parents came straight from the Netherlands.

The community I live in here is more homogenously Dutch than many cities in the Netherlands (just ask any of our exchange students from Holland). We're like a China Town or Little Italy, but for the Dutch. It's weird b/c our Dutch language and traditions have not advanced with time like those actually in the Netherlands. Our parents and grandparents came over and our language has remained the same, as it was in the 1800s, thus our Yankee Dutch, or my family's dialect (Gronix, no clue how it's spelled in Dutch), has been preserved. I've never taken Dutch class or Dutch lessons, but I can read Dutch enough to get by, and read our Gronix and Yankee Dutch fluently.

/today's genealogy lesson

LivLuv, I suggest you marry a non-Dutch guy before your kids come out with three eyes.... :wink:

Utoo said:

LivLuv, I suggest you marry a non-Dutch guy before your kids come out with three eyes.... :wink:

oh, man, we have plenty of our own jokes to go around! At least I picked mine from a different state! (of course we met b/c we all end up at one of our three Dutch Christian Reformed colleges)

And of course I'm 100% Dutch so most of my family and friends love them.

If you weren't born in the Netherlands of local parents there is no way you can be 100% Dutch. Dutch is a reference to people who live within the political borders of the Netherlands. Teuton is the name for the people who genetically originate from the area (Teuton, Frank, Friesen, etc)

If you mean your family are 100% Teuton because you live in some kind of genetically locked down Amish type community that is possible.

But you are not Dutch.

peace

Shag On A Rock said:

If you weren't born in the Netherlands of local parents there is no way you can be 100% Dutch. Dutch is a reference to people who live within the political borders of the Netherlands. Teuton is the name for the people who genetically originate from the area (Teuton, Frank, Friesen, etc)

If you mean your family are 100% Teuton because you live in some kind of genetically locked down Amish type community that is possible.

But you are not Dutch.

peace

But what about Booger flavored jelly beans ?!?!!?

Shag On A Rock said:

Yeah, that's how it is, whatever word you want to use to describe it. I've got nothing else in the family line but Dutch folk coming from Groningen or that immediate area. Most of the "Dutch" people in our community that didn't come straight from Holland themselves (which is basically everyone my parents age and older) are a little more mixed than us.

Not that this has anything to do w/ Harry Potter beans....

Yeah, that's how it is, whatever word you want to use to describe it. I've got nothing else in the family line but Dutch folk coming from Groningen or that immediate area. Most of the "Dutch" people in our community that didn't come straight from Holland themselves (which is basically everyone my parents age and older) are a little more mixed than us.

Not that this has anything to do w/ Harry Potter beans....

:blahblah:
you have won the washing machine for being more dutch then other dutchies.. i really cant believe this..

ok, back to the jellybeans

i was the first generation of my family to be born in South Africa, the rest can be traced back to the 1200s in England and possible before.
I would never dare call myself 100% English though, I'm a born and bred Saffa (to English parents) whether I like it or not.

although there's nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage, it just seems an unusual viewpoint to me, thats all.
as i say, i can't imagine calling myself English, despite my lineage and even though I've now lived here for 4 years and am about to get my citizenship in a few months. I guess in your circumstance, it has to do with the whole community aspect of it as well.

but yeah, boggie flavoured jelly beans - who thinks of shit like that???

Last edited:
digsy said:
i was the first generation of my family to be born in South Africa, the rest can be traced back to the 1200s in England and possible before.
I would never dare call myself 100% English though, I'm a born and bred Saffa (to English parents) whether I like it or not.

Did you live in SA? I'm assuming so since you know Afrikaans. I'd love to go there and am looking at it for my honeymoon even though there's no way....but I can dream, right? (so if you know any good places, PM me)

I guess it's an American thing, everyone says they're "Dutch" or "Italian" or "Irish", b/c you can't just say you're "American", b/c it means nothing. People will look at you and say "uh....yeah, so what REALLY are you?"

Numb, just be thankful you only had to eat a flavored bean and not a concoction of the real deal! I've seen some people eat some nasty shit on dares :huh:

grew up in south africa till i was 19 then moved here to England.

if you can go on your honeymoon you really should try, especially if you're going to Cape Town - one of the most beautiful places you will ever see :drool:
damn, i miss home sometimes

digsy said:
if you can go on your honeymoon you really should try, especially if you're going to Cape Town - one of the most beautiful places you will ever see :drool:
damn, i miss home sometimes

I will! SA or Zanzibar would be my most expensive, impossible, but favorite choices (I was in TZ for a month but we didn't stop on Zanzibar).

:hmm: I wonder what sorts of jelly beans they have there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom