I think I had a panic attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Last night as I was driving to my class I suddenly had tightness in my chest and was short of breath. I thought it was my asthma. But that usually goes away in a couple minutes.. but this time I couldn't even breath. So I decide to go to my sister's and use her inhaler. I do, and it doesn't really help. I've never had my asthma bother me for this long before. :huh: Going to get the inhaler made me late for class. My professor is pyscho about walking in late (she completely embarrasses the person, stops the class and stares obviously irritated- this is a NIGHT, GRAD class. Get a f'in grip lady! :scream: ) anyway I was v. nervous about being late and I ended up sitting outside the class w/ another girl who gets yelled at every week for coming in, no lie, at 6:03. We finally went in at the break at 7:30.

So anyway, my asthma irritation didn't go away.. and even this morning when I woke up I still couldn't breath too well. It was very scary!! I thought it was the cold weather..

anyway I got an email from my friend and she asked me if it was stress and when i read what she said I mentally relaxed and since that moment I've had NO trouble breathing. Could I have had a panic attack for that long?? :huh: I can take deep breaths now w/ no problems but last night I could take only shallow inhalations.

I think I'm nervous about flying by myself. My friends/family don't help in that area :reject: .. plus job issues (now almost resolved, thank God) and arriving on time at class made me nervous too.

I recall someone mentioning these before but i couldn't find the thread. It was the weirdest thing! I'm glad I can breath now though.

Well, of course I can't say what caused this. My guess would be the combination of weather and your stress.

I think it's good though that you can talk about your fears. I've had and do have panic attacks w/ physical symptoms such as tightness in my chest and shortness of breath, so I do know how that feels.

There's absolutely nothing wrong w/ being afraid to fly by yourself. Just try to do what you need to do to relax a bit. I always use my portable CD player on planes, this really helps me. And of course it wouldn't hurt to pray.

That Psalms book might be something good to bring :wink:

:hug: s, prayers, and best wishes! I hope you start to feel much better soon

aye I had one of them on the bus before and thought I was dying and then my heart started stooping and starting with my irregular heartbeaty thing it was awful :crack:

oliveu2cm said:
My professor is pyscho about walking in late (she completely embarrasses the person, stops the class and stares obviously irritated- this is a NIGHT, GRAD class. Get a f'in grip lady! :scream: ) anyway I was v. nervous about being late and I ended up sitting outside the class w/ another girl who gets yelled at every week for coming in, no lie, at 6:03. We finally went in at the break at 7:30.

I realize some pyscho profs will never change, but it really might help if you have a chat with her/him. Nothing too important, just that you're enjoying the class (lie if you have to) and that it's a really stressful semester for you and that you want her/him to know you're trying your best. Give it a try, it can't make the sitaution worse and chances are good it'll help.

Be good to yourself! :hug:

It definitely sounds what you are going through is due to stress. Like Salome I get them from time to time,then I take medication for them.
Hang in there my friend or if it gets to be too much I would make an appointment with your doctor, and he might be able to prescribe something for you. :hug:

i find that taking kava kava (some vitamin supplement) really helps.

:hug: to olive and salome.

:hug: Carrie!

I hope you are doing better... I myself have been wondering if the same thing is happening to me. I've been under a lot of financial stress - mainly trying to save and pay for all the weddings I'm in etc (luckily not debt). I havent been sleeping right and of course - the new terror alerts have been making me mental. I have these period were I get this overpowering feeling of doom and my heart races and I physically cannot relax... anxiety runs in my family so I'm not terribly concerned, but it can really be difficult to wait out! Hang in there!

BTW - your professor sounds completely unprofessional!

:hug: Thanks everyone! We all go through it it seems.. it's just the gettin' through part that can be tough sometime!

Like O2, thanks- I am going to write my professor, she is insane! :coocoo:

Back
Top Bottom