I hate Valentine's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sula, you are SO my freakin' hero!!!!!!!!

I'm SO there. The world seems to revolves around 'shmoopie' coupleness and frankly, I'm sickuvit!!!
mad.gif

Being single is not a death sentence as sone people think (seems it's mostly women who feel that life is not worth living without a man in it--this from the experience of friends of mine)

I'm open to the possibilities of finding my 'soul mate' (earthly tho he may be) but even at my *ahem* advanced age, I am loving being single, and think more people should focus on the joys of singleness rather than the supposed downside of 'not having someone' (anyone!) in their lives. Better to be somewhat happy being single than to be with someone and be miserable!

Vent vent vent....just my 2 cents...

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Besides the fact that it seems to be little more than a shameless marketing ploy to sell flowers and candy, it only serves to exaggerate the stupid idea that in order to be "complete" one must be part of a couple.
mad.gif
As if we don't have that shoved in our faces enough on radio, television, movies, and media.
tongue.gif

-sula-single-and-proud-of-it-wesigirl

Well until a few days ago the idea of Valentine's day gave me warm fuzzy feelings, then I got dumped. Now I want to cry each time I go past a big Valentine's Day display in the stores. V-Day sucks
frown.gif

Singles Awareness Day I tell ya...

------------------
Maybe I'm too young
To keep good love from going wrong
But tonight
You're on my mind
So you never know

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 02-03-2002).]

Bah Humbug @ Valentins day!!!!!!!
Maybe someday I will be able to appreciate it, bu right now,i'm just fending off unwanted advances.
frown.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

When Im single I hate it but when I have a relationship I love it!!!

------------------
"Master of sexual innuendo"

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

yeah i like most of you here am a bit negative on valentines day.
frown.gif

i just want to know the point of posting a pic of u kissing your b/f in a thread where lots of people wont exactly be feeling happy come valentines day are posting. pretty poor form i have to say.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

May I say something as a "smug married"?

I know that Valentine's day can be a miserable time when your loneliness is accentuated. I've been there many a time, having red dinner with my parents (I still do that actually!) and slamming my head violently into the dining room table screaming "WHY DOESN'T ANYONE WANT ME???!!!!!" (that's right folks, I NEVER had a boyfriend. I basically went from single to married immediately)

But just think of the advantages you have! You can go and flirt with WHOMEVER YOU WANT online, at parties, wherever! You can go to a Valentine's Day singles mixer/party/dance and meet ppl! You can have one night stands, or long passionate love affairs! You can meet and fall in love with other interferencers! You can even post about how miserable you are and get lots of sympathy!

My point is, you can be excited in the knowledge that you never know when new love will be around the corner. You have so much freedom!!!!

Being married provides togetherness and security and love and many good things, but I have every Valentine's day for the rest of my life mapped out, and can never enjoy the excitement of a first date/first love again. Put THAT in your Mills and Boone as they say!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Edge (edited 02-04-2002).]

Originally posted by bono_man:
yeah i like most of you here am a bit negative on valentines day.
frown.gif

i just want to know the point of posting a pic of u kissing your b/f in a thread where lots of people wont exactly be feeling happy come valentines day are posting. pretty poor form i have to say.

was rather wondering the same thing.
frown.gif

I hope you guys are kidding
so now people who actually have found happiness aren't allowed to show it because this thread is dedicated to bitch about a day that is meant to be about love?

sweet,
I love my niekje

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
valentine's day makes me wanna bang.

How...romantic?
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

im not saying dont express your love for your partner, and your simple 'i love ....' salome was sweet. but something as blatant as a massive smooch pic is just inappropriate.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bono_man (edited 02-05-2002).]

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:
(that's right folks, I NEVER had a boyfriend. I basically went from single to married immediately)

You can even post about how miserable you are and get lots of sympathy!

Jess, you're hilarious...
you went from single to married???

And in the spirit of complaining...here I gooo

I've never been a big fan of Valentine's Day, being well, unattached and all. But it's never really a big deal, as my best friends were single too, and we'd all go out and party together. Except now, they have boyfriends, and are going out to dinner on Valentine's Day...thus leaving me alone..*sigh* Besides, the guy I like (who knows I like him), hasn't done anything (I don't know if he likes me...etc. I hate this 'waiting' period. We've kinda 'talked' a few times, but that's it. Grr!!!)

Originally posted by bono_man:
im not saying dont express your love for your partner, and your simple 'i love ....' salome was sweet. but something as blatant as a massive smooch pic is just inappropriate.

Gee...sorry...

I finally found the true love of my life after being alone for so long. I'm sorry I am so happy for this Valentine's day.

------------------

I would also like to add one other thing...

Valentine's Day is what YOU make of it.

To me, it's not just about love and couples...it's about love and friends/family. Yeah, it's wonderful that this Valentine's Day I'm engaged and can share love with my fiance, but the I'm still going to share love with my friends and family like I always do.

Give your best friend a valentine...give your parents a valentine. Sharing love on Valentine's Day doesn't mean that it has to be with a significant other.

"Don't let it get away..."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 02-05-2002).]

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Gee...sorry...

I finally found the true love of my life after being alone for so long. I'm sorry I am so happy for this Valentine's day.

Alone for so long? Come on, you're 19. And I'm not trying to be, as it is called on this board, "ageist" but I can see someone in there 50's with no family being "alone for so long" - not 19. You still live with your family (not alone) and pets (not alone).

Ugh!

I'll tell ya - I'm a happy married person but I also hate Valentines Day. It is a crass, commercial holiday created by Halmark to sell stuff. I feel, and always have (like my husband too) that if you have to have a day pointed out to you to tell someone special in your life that you love them then that's kind of missing the whole point of having a life partner. so, we don't even really celebrate Valentines Day much different from any other - we just try to do Valentines every day.

I know. *gag* But there it is.

Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

of course valentines day is one big commercial hoax
still, it never hurts to have a day that focusses on love

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Well, zone, it means a lot to me.

I have my opinion, you have yours.

I don't think anything more needs to be said on that.

------------------

Originally posted by Salome:
I hope you guys are kidding
so now people who actually have found happiness aren't allowed to show it because this thread is dedicated to bitch about a day that is meant to be about love?

sweet,
I love my niekje

Well, said I agree.

------------------
"It's Evolution Baby!"

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Alone for so long? Come on, you're 19. And I'm not trying to be, as it is called on this board, "ageist" but I can see someone in there 50's with no family being "alone for so long" - not 19. You still live with your family (not alone) and pets (not alone).

Ugh!

Well said, zone.

I think its great you are 'in love' and expressing such feelings is great.

But in a thread like this one it was totally unrelated and didnt contribute at all to the thread. Maybe you could start a second thread for Valentines Day and how wonderful it and your b/f is. Just remember to place a WARNING: 'May cause vomitting' message in the title ok.
smile.gif

------------------

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Well, zone, it means a lot to me.

I have my opinion, you have yours.

I don't think anything more needs to be said on that.

You missed my point. I'm fine with your hapiness for Valentine's Day. This "I was alone for SO LONG when you are only 19 is what I was talking about....

This argument is hilarious...

*is spending Valentine's Day out with her friends*

Yep, watch out world, here I come.

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

zone~

I edited my earlier post to remove the pic. If you'd do the same where you quoted it, I'd appreciate it. Might as well take it out...and I will respect that this is an anti-Valentine thread.

Look, yeah, I live with my family and pets...but you don't have a clue as to other aspects of my personal and home life. But I don't want to fight and argue because that's stupid and pointless.

And here...a new pic, just for you...

VdaySux.jpg

biggrin.gif

------------------

I was getting a bit irritated at bonochick early on while reading through this post, just because she seemed to be gloating about various things, but Im not going to editorialize anything because she completely vindicated herself with that V-Day Sux candy pic lol
biggrin.gif
good work b-chicky
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

As for my opinions towards v-day, Ive said it before, Ill say it again, its just a day for those with partners to rub their love into the faces of those who have to spend it alone. Blargh upon valentines day, blargh upon social status, and blargh upon people in general. blargity mc blargh blargh blargh
mad.gif

Ok, Im good. Thanks.

BC, my fellow Salomeytown resident,

I do not hate Valentines Day, and I am not a lonely, frustrated little man (no making fun of me Sula
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
), I just was frustrated with the "Lonely" comment. That's it. We have all had tough times in our life. You have a very happy one in your life with a marriage coming up. Celebrate - and walk on. We want happy posts!

Cheers!!!!

Back
Top Bottom