I did a bad bad thing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonocrazy88

New Yorker
I used my best friend/ex-boyfriend's password and got into his e-mail account and myspace account. i did not look at anything, but I mainly just wanted to see if I could get in. I felt so bad after doing it that I wanted to tell him right away. I actually started crying because I knew how wrong it was to use his trust against him like that. I left him a text that said "Call me as soon as possible". The next day, he called me and said "What's up? Is something wrong?" Since he's my best friend, I knew I had to tell him what I did...or I could never live with the lie. I assumed he'd be extremely pissed to hear what I did, but when I told him, he was silent.
I said "Are you still there?" and he said
"Yeah...that was a pretty terrible thing to do,"
and I said "I know, I am so sorry"
But then he said "But, I have to thank you for telling me the truth about it. I would have much rather you told me now than found out later."
We cleared up the whole mess and of course he forgave me. He's the best friend ever. But I had been so worried that he would think I had betrayed his trust. Just telling him the truth made me feel so much better.

The moral of the story is: the truth will set you free.
It was so hard to admit my wrongdoing and actually tell someone who hadn't provoked me to tell him. But, I knew that I would rather be on the level with my best friend than keep a lie from him, even one that wouldn't hurt either way. He could tell I hadn't messed with his account or looked at any of his e-mails, but just knowing I had had the nerve to pry into his business made me feel sick to my stomach. I couldn't even sleep and it made me feel like a horrible person.

IN the long run, it's no big deal. It's over now and I am honestly glad I told him. There are far worse things happening in the world of friendships, but I am insanely glad I have an understanding best friend.

(I just wanted to share that because I recommend the truth to anyone)

Well what you did was wrong, but your distress over it and your fast confession to him indicates that you knew how wrong it was. Perhaps the real question is would you ever do anything like that again, and are you afraid he won't ever have the same trust for you? I'm not trying to be harsh on you at all, but it's just important to ask yourself those kinds of questions.

Just a note of warning, not completely on topic, but everyone should be very careful about leaving their passwords saved on other peoples' computers. I signed into my myspace on a friend's dorm room computer, and she used the saved password to get into my personal stuff and mess with it. She also found private blogs no one was meant to see. Then she went online and spread the news to everyone. It has hurt me a lot. Whenever you sign into your email or myspace or blog on somebody else's computer, make sure you don't let it save the password, and if it does, try to get it out of their cookies before you go. Also always make sure you log out of your Yahoo! emails before you go to another site, because if the same browser is up and someone else goes to Yahoo! they will be already logged into your account.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well what you did was wrong, but your distress over it and your fast confession to him indicates that you knew how wrong it was. Perhaps the real question is would you ever do anything like that again, and are you afraid he won't ever have the same trust for you? I'm not trying to be harsh on you at all, but it's just important to ask yourself those kinds of questions.

Yeah he had told me his password years ago and I really did not know if it would be the same. Getting into his account was more of a surprise than a "aha" moment. It was very scary to think of being "behind closed doors" even when it comes to the Internet.

Of course I thought of those two moral questions. I immediately thought of the trust issue. Now that I have confessed, however, I believe Eric forgave me and will not speak of the matter again. We have such a trusting relationship that matters like this need only be spoken of once.

There have been issues between us before and arguments but we've always managed to keep our close bond of trust. When I told Eric what I'd done, I said I understood if he'd be mad, but he said he wasn't...he was just happy I'd had the decency to admit it.

I felt 100% better and I promised him I would never even try again, no matter if the password was the same or he decided to change it. I told him I would never find out whether he did or didn't because I would not begin to type his information. And I stick by my promise because I know now how heartwrenching it is to betray someone's trust, even when it comes to something so seemingly meaningless. The true issue is not e-mail or myspace but an invasion of trust and privacy. I stand by my convictions that I will never stray into that area again.

Eric and I are best friends and the relationship we share is very unique. One moment we may be fighting like cats and dogs, and the next, we are the greatest friends. Think of Mr. and Mrs. Smith...except without the killing part. We are totally inseparable. This issue is not the worst we've been through and we've always managed to come out unscathed.

I applaud you for telling the truth about it.

I set up my younger sister's account and she never changed her password so I went in a few months later and see if she changed it and since she didn't, I got in!!!
She didn't have anything real private anyway, but later she asked me if I logged into her account and when I admitted it, she got really really mad and didn't speak to me for weeks.

But I'm glad you and your best friend got over the situation.

You should have decorated his Myspace page with penises and photo's of David Hasselhoff.

What a wasted opportunity. :tsk:

I'm glad you told the truth about it, it takes a lot of courage to do such a thing. But in the end, it's always the best thing to do :)

Lancemc said:
You should have decorated his Myspace page with penises and photo's of David Hasselhoff.

What a wasted opportunity. :tsk:

I know, right! I should do that. *kidding!*

Sloane Peterson, how is your boyfriend FERRIS doing anyhow?

He's terrific. Getting into trouble, skipping school, that old thing. But...he's gonna marry me.

Takes a lot of guts to confess to having done something like that. Know if I were in that position my fear may have stopped me initially. Congratulations for telling the truth :).

Btw I love your name :wink:

absintheminded said:
Hey, :scratch:

Sloane Peterson, how is your boyfriend FERRIS doing anyhow?

you know in the end she'd be with Cameron though, not Ferris.

absintheminded said:

It's been 25 years and he STILL hasn't married you?

We're still young at heart...and no wedding plans, yet. When we tie the knot, you'll have to come to Shermer, IL and see us! :p

How lovely that everyone knows that movie! It's a new-classic. My friend Eric (the subject of this post) grew up in Northbrook IL, which John Hughes used as the story's setting, changing the name to Shermer, as it used to be called. Needless to say, when he visits there, he and his friends have a "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

~BrightestStar~ said:
New classic?
Pft.
My cousins and I have considered it classic for years! :love:

Ha, ha, the parade scene never fails to crack me up.

I meant new as in not "Gone with the Wind" or "Casablanca" or something seriously classic.

Back
Top Bottom