I confess, I don't really like politics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
If you asked any of my friends what they think I'm most interested in they'd probably say politics. If you asked them what I know most about their answer would be the same. I've always studied politics or other social science subjects in school and at university and at least half the books on my bookshelves are related to history, politics or sociology. So naturally people think that politics is something I'm interested in and probably something I enjoy studying.

Only...it's actually not. :ohmy:

See, I had to drop out of Uni earlier this year for various reasons (like :censored: landlords charging insane amounts of money for their accomodation and :censored: academic departments who believe you should repeat an entire year of study because you were unable to attend lectures for a few weeks, but that's another subject entirely) and now I'm going finish my degree with the Open University (which is the main distance learning university here in the UK). Only now I have absolutely *zero* interest in taking any of their classes in history or politics or sociology or English literature or anything else that I've spent the last four years studying.

And what do I want to study? Science. Actually mostly just chemistry and biology. Now I haven't taken a science class since I left school almost six years ago, so understandably my family and my friends are slight confused/shocked/amused at my decision. Actually if I'm honest about it, they think I've gone mad. And maybe they're right. But this is actually the first time in years that I've felt excited about studying something. It's the first time in I don't know how long that I've actually been challenged by something I'm studying. And believe it or not, I'm actually happy about college for once in my life.

I'm really not sure what I'm rambling away about anymore, so I'm going to put that down to the fact that it's late and I'm tired. Oh, and that tomorrow is the day I find out if the OU actually have any places left on the two classes I *really* want to study this year, so I'm ever so slightly stressed about that. So if anyone reads this, please send good luck thoughts my way about 8:30am tomorrow. :wink: And if you do then I promise not to post anymore ridiculous rants like this one again.

*Fizz.

I'm surprised, yet not really surprised Fizz even thought I don't know you very well.
Politics is so grey, science would give you the black and white which politics cannot. It can't argue and be biased, it cannot tell you you are wrong. It would give you truth.

You gotta do what your heart desires though.
:up:
Good luck with the courses Fizz! Post us an update
:hug:

i'm just the opposite, i started in biology and hated school then switched to sociology and now i actually look forward to it sometimes. You've got to do whatever makes you happy, everybody else can go to hell :yes:

Hi Fizz!

I kind of get what you're saying.

I first did my Undergrad degree (H.BSc) in Immunology, and now I have continued on with Biotechnology, for various reasons, but most of them being the fact it is the largest growing scientific field in the world with incredible employment potential. Biotech is sort of like computers were in the 80s - something new, something exciting, a place you could get far because you started nice and early.

But as far as politics go, I don't like them much either. I have an interest in them for my own reasons, but I find that thinking about it full time is too exhausting and too depressing. So science is a nice way to distract yourself, and it's kind of nice to deal with a field where things are based on laws and make sense, yet are still so brilliantly complex.

I wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom