For some reason I have some confessions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icelady

War Child
In the chest in my attic underneath all the dust
I?m not sure why but I actually have a few confessions to make.

My first would be that I have a hard time getting back in the groove of the forum after not being on for a few days. I seem to miss a lot and I find it hard to fit back into the bunch.

My second would be that I don?t enjoy PLEBA anymore. I left awhile ago and have gone back from time to time to do what else but post pics. But there seems to be a changing of the guard and a lot of new faces are there, the old faces seem to have gone the way of the lurker and I just don?t enjoy reading the threads as much as I used to. The witty banter is gone for some reason.

My last confession would be that I hate being labelled a ?cool? mom. Everyone calls me that. I don?t much care for the label. My oldest daughter is turning 8 this summer. She has already been on the concert scene ? I?ve taken her to 4 concerts already ? don?t ask who! At any rate, now that she has started she wants to go to every one and I tell you I don?t think my ears or stomach can handle it. I?m sure I was like these younger people at some point in my life ? my first concert was the Bay City Rollers and I?ll never forget the hysteria. And now I see these younger people all hysterical about bands and there music. My god, you can?t even hear the music ? not that it?s anything to listen to, but you could probably stick 4 good looking guys on a stage, play a CD, have them dance around and they?d go crazy. I just wish I wasn?t the way I am and I wish I could just tell her ?Not on your life are you going to no concert? and feel good about that. Then I could maybe just be the ?mom? instead of a ?cool? one.

When I went to confession, this is a true story, the night before my wedding, I had to confess that my soon to be husband and I were actually living together at the time. I am a catholic but I had never been confirmed. It was my church we got married in. The priest said you have to go the confession. I was like ? Oh my god what do I do? I asked my father and you know what he said. He told me to say ?Bless me father for I have sinned it?s been 2 years since my last confession? I know I know ? anyway to make a longs story short, the priest knew that we were living together and he blessed me and forgave but I had to accept 7 Hail Mary?s in his chamber ? Can I just say I don?t like confession!!!!

Now I?m done, and I hope I don?t have to confess anything else for a very long time And if anyone gives me Hail Mary?s I swear I?ll scream in your ear.
smile.gif

Well icelady... I can't really respond to the first part of your confession 'cause I have never been a PLEBAn, but in regards to you being a cool mom--> no matter where you start to draw the line now, you'll always be a cool mom! This is a good thing. You took your daughter to four of the best shows she will ever see! (... that's if they were all U2
smile.gif
) I can totally understand where you are coming from (as best I can NOT being a mother myself). To be a 'cool' mom, I imagine you have all these pressures to live up to, like more concerts, but cool or not, you are 'the' mom, and you have the ability to draw the line. Your daughter is old enough to understand this, and young enough to realize that she was 'privelaged' to have already been to four concerts. My first concert was when I was 16!
So, I don't know if I am helping you any, but the way I look at it, it's great to be a cool mom, but it's completely understandable and realistic to set some boundaries. You don't want to give in to her every wish. Regardless if you don't like the bands she wants to see. Moderation creates appreciation. At 8, she can't expect to go and see everyone she's 'in love with' that month. One thing to remember--> she will be a teenager one day... there comes a time when a 'cool mom' has to cease being cool.

... and no 'hail Mary's' from me
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 03-26-2002).]

I hear ya about not not being a PLEBAn - I was but I feel like I wasn't if that makes any sense.

And the first confession actually wasn't about PLEBA at all - do you ever have difficulty getting back into the mix of things after you haven't been around for a few days or is it just me?

Hah she wishes I'd take her to a U2 concert. She begged and pleaded with me to take her but I had to draw the line at that one.

I'M FAR TOO SELF ABSORBED TO TAKE A 7 YEAR OLD TO A U2 CONCERT. I'D LOSE HER FOR SURE AND NOT NOTICE UNTIL I WAS HOME!!

And at the same time I wish it was U2 I was taking her to - my ears would be much better off! But unfortunately it isn't.

It's just hard to say no to a 7 year old when you can totally put yourself in her shoes from your experiences as a kid. So instead I get the attitude of the husband who thinks I'm an idiot to the attitude of my daughter who says "Now I want to go see this one next week".

I am so not looking forward to her getting older. right now she likes her "cool" mom but pretty soon she'll just hate her "mom" if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll be the first to tell you it helps having a sounding board sometimes.
smile.gif

Originally posted by icelady:
I hear ya about not not being a PLEBAn - I was but I feel like I wasn't if that makes any sense.

And the first confession actually wasn't about PLEBA at all - do you ever have difficulty getting back into the mix of things after you haven't been around for a few days or is it just me?

Whether it's mailing lists, message boards, or just the Internet.. I have problems getting back into the groove of things after being gone. I think it's just natural.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

NO+ FB++++ S+++$ N+ B+ C++# L+++ O++ CV- AB7

- do you ever have difficulty getting back into the mix of things after you haven't been around for a few days or is it just me?

YES! It can be really hard, so you are not alone there. And I agree... it is really helpful sometimes to have a sounding board. There is a lot of diversity here, a lot of different perspectives.

I think it's pretty normal to feel out of the loop when you've been away from a place like this for a while. When I got back from 2 months in Europe, it was totally disorienting trying to figure out what was going on in the forum at first. Not to mention, it felt like no one had a clue who I was or cared that I was even back. lol.
smile.gif

do you ever have difficulty getting back into the mix of things after you haven't been around for a few days or is it just me?

It's definatly not just you.

I just wanted to post some support for my Icelady friend!!!

S-A-T-U-R D-A-Y, Let's go!
S-A-T-U-R D-A-Y, Let's go!
Saturday night, Saturday night!
Wo wo wo wo Wo
Saturday night.

For that being your first concert, you need to get down on your knees and say One Psalm 40.

Bless you child - and I actually hear you. I look forward to being a cool dad one day. But also fear the cool dad turning into the "hated" dad - knowing that they will eventually come around back to "I love you Dad, Thank you." Be assured that that's what it will come to for you!

Originally posted by zonelistener:
I just wanted to post some support for my Icelady friend!!!

Bless you child - and I actually hear you. I look forward to being a cool dad one day. But also fear the cool dad turning into the "hated" dad - knowing that they will eventually come around back to "I love you Dad, Thank you." Be assured that that's what it will come to for you!

Aw Zoney, you always know just the right thing to say - (((luv ya dahlink!)))

The memories - I know exactly how my daughter feels - in awe of the whole thing.

Even though I know I am loved now, soon to be hated and ultimately be "liked" by my daughter, I just hope that I make it through her puberty to see it
wink.gif

And as for you - you too I sense will travel the same path as I with your kids so buckle your seatbelt!

...thanks...and to everyone else thanks for letting me know I'm normal
smile.gif

And as for getting on my knees, well that's another story altogether
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I?m not sure why but I actually have a few confessions to make.

My first would be that I have a hard time getting back in the groove of the forum after not being on for a few days.

Wow, it's not just you! I think I'm going through the same thing. I didn't post at all for like over two weeks and I still can't get into the groove of things. :/ PLEBA is different and I don't really go there.

But I dunno, even IO seems different to me, and it was the forum I porbably posted the most at. Now, I just feel like an outsider or an outcast there. And I dunno why.
frown.gif
*weird*

I'm just finding a hard time getting used to this place. I just find myself lurking here and there and posting very little.

Weird. But then again, I have find more useful things to do in life, that keep me pretty busy and grounded.

I dunno, it's just this place. The other forum I post at seems ok, but then again my closest internet friends are there.. but this place... I just can't understand why I feel so lost in it. Hmmmm... yeah.

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head .....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

(((icelady and monica)))

If it makes you guys feel better, I've never really left the forum for a long amount of time, and I still don't fit in. Haha, but it's all good, I have fun, for the most part, and I get to read about U2.
smile.gif

Oh but I'm not bitter. Oh no.
I don't need any of you bastards!!!
wink.gif

Originally posted by SweetOnU2:

Wow, it's not just you! I think I'm going through the same thing. I didn't post at all for like over two weeks and I still can't get into the groove of things. :/ PLEBA is different and I don't really go there.

But I dunno, even IO seems different to me, and it was the forum I porbably posted the most at. Now, I just feel like an outsider or an outcast there. And I dunno why.
frown.gif
*weird*

I'm just finding a hard time getting used to this place. I just find myself lurking here and there and posting very little.

Weird. But then again, I have find more useful things to do in life, that keep me pretty busy and grounded.

I dunno, it's just this place. The other forum I post at seems ok, but then again my closest internet friends are there.. but this place... I just can't understand why I feel so lost in it. Hmmmm... yeah.

Just wanted to reply to your post Monica. I can totally see the lurker mentality of this forum.

(((I CAN RELATE)))

There are so many nice people that I have met since joining Interference. There are some not so nice people as well. Just like in life - you take the good with the bad.

I find it odd that I have trouble getting into the mix. You would think, like everyone says, because it's a forum and you don't personally know anyone or few, that it would be easy for you to just step up and introduce yourself and throw yourself right in.

But for some reason the same insecurities that you have in your life come across here as well.

It's very strange and sometimes hard to explain. So instead of trying to get in there, you just watch. Kind of sad really.

In IO - the people there are very nice and friendly. It hit home though when somebody posted in a thread after I had replied - Just who are you anyway?

It kind of made me realize that even though I sort of think of these people as my IO buddies I guess maybe they aren't that at all. Kind of separates you ya know.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I can relate to the way you feel.

Back
Top Bottom