Everybody where I work is being let go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HandMeDown

The Fly
a few months ago 30 people were laid off where I work because their department was moved to Kentucky. Today it was announced that another entire department is being shut down in our office. 50 more people without jobs. It makes me so sad to see so many people afraid and worried. It also makes me feel kind of guilty because my department is likely the only safe one. The president of the company's son is the president of my department and he loves northern maine, so we are pretty sure we are safe. I have a major case of survivor's guilt going on :(

We (at work) just all got a 10% pay cut :(

Things are REALLY crappy out there right now :sigh:

I'm sorry. :hug:

The bigwigs where I work are planning to "restructure" and supposedly this week they were going to announce a few lay-offs. We've been on pins and needles for a month or two now, but especially this week. We're still waiting for the axe to fall, though, and tomorrow's Friday. :( Like you, I've been told that my department is not where the problem is, but that doesn't make me feel that much better abou the situation.

Hang in there. This is happening to a lot of people right now.

I've been in that position before(and the axe came down on me eventually). It's not good right now. I've just been informed I have to work 6 days a week for a couple months in order to keep finances in some kind of order where I work.

Things have definitely been better, that's for sure...

each day I have to look around at the sea of sad faces where I work. My boss has said that we can take 3 people into our department starting monday and hopefully more as time goes on. But somehow 3 doesnt seem like a whole lot when 50 people are looking at you with "please put a good word in for me with your boss"

blargh

There are a lot of people out of work in the IT sector in my area. Nowadays, it seems companies are expecting more work for less pay here. One of my peers was once the regional director of IT for a communications company, and then he got laid off. After 9/11, the job market was bad enough that the best he could find afterwards was something for half the pay he was getting before. That's sad because he has a family to support, and his story isn't unique. I don't think the unemployment figures being released by the government paint an accurate picture of what it's like, because it doesn't account for people who were laid off and found lesser-paying jobs just to make ends meet.

I agree thurco. I know serveral people where I work that will have to take massive cuts in their pay when they get a job in my department or the other department that is still open ( at least for now) and they won't get any severence packages to help them along. It's all every sad.

I guess I feel lucky that my pay cut was only 25%. The part of the whole thing that bothers me most is that my company keeps giving huge, unconscionable raises to the top brass, while crying the blues about not being able to give the rest of us raises. The head manager in our office could no understand why nobody cared to look at pictures of his new 79' yacht. I told him, "Maybe it's because they're too busy wondering how to pay next month's electricity bill".

The rich people got their huge tax cut. They get all the huge raises. The rest of us got a $300 loan that we had to give back in April. I'm ready to call it quits for the IT field. :down:

Back
Top Bottom