CRISIS! I need help making a HUGE decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
As most of you know, I accepted an offer to go to the University of Nottingham this fall to get my Masters degree.

Well, today I got a letter in the mail from the University of East Anglia, where I also applied (and where Sam goes to school), saying that if I'm first on their list of US applicants to recieve funding. It doesn't say how much or anything.

I've already accepted the offer at Nottingham AND payed my deposit, and NOW I get this letter from UEA.

I don't know what to do! :scream: :sad:

Is there anyway to find out how much funding UEA will give you?

If I were you, I would stick with my plans that have already been made UNLESS you can find out how much funding UEA gives you and if its more the Nottingham.

Good Luck, meggie :hug:

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
call them. UEA, I mean (or e-mail). No sense in making a decision unless you're FULLY informed.

Exactly. Always better to get funding AND be closer to your boyfriend. Hopefully you can get your deposit back, chica.

I don't know. The thing is, I picked Nottingham on instict and I've really gotten to like the idea of going there. I'm paranoid because I went to the college I went to (and turned down a full scholarship at a much better school) because a guy I liked in high school went there. It was by far the stupidest thing I've ever done, and I promised myself I would never do anything like that again. I know it's different with Sam because we're engaged, UEA has offered me money, and I like Norwich, but I still have my heart set on Nottingham. It's really important to me to be independent and do things on my own (hence my being HORRIBLE at being in a relationship :reject: ).

I just hate the idea of turning down free money and having to rely solely on my savings and my loan (which is another issue, because I'd have to re-apply). I don't know why I'm typing this all out because I guess I've decided to go with Nottingham, but I'm worried that i'll regret that decision in a year or so. :sigh:

If only Nottingham did funding the same way UEA does!!!

well....

If you have decided to go to Nottingham...or if that ends up being your final decision, DON'T look back and regret it thinking, "I could have gotten money if I went to UEA. Etc, etc..." Resign yourself to the fact that yes, you are going to be using a loan. Yes, you will be away from your fiance. You had already made the decision to go to Nottingham before you found out about this UEA thing. So, if you do indeed choose Nottingham in the end, pretend like you never heard from UEA. Or you may begin to look back.

Always look forward.

Even if I went to UEA, I'd still get a loan. I'd just have the money I have in savings to spend later.

Nottingham'd better be cool. :mad:

I had a choice between two schools. One was a school that I had hopes of going to since 1986 but costs $25,000 a year and the second cost less then $6,000. I chose the second one because of money and it was the worst thing I did. I only lasted one quarter. I just hope I can get the same opportunity the first school gave me. I hoped I helped some:)

IMO you should choose the college you really want to study at and try not to be too influenced by how much funding you'll receive from them, unless you're really dependent on getting funding from one of them to attend.

And for what it's worth, I think Nottingham is a great university, and Nottingham is a really nice city to live in. :)

Megan - things i would consider after having transfered schools when i was in college

- First what do you want to be doing after school? Does one school offer you something that will give you a better shot at an end goal. Answer - most likely not.
- price difference IF UAE gives you money?
- if at Nottingham how far is that from Norwich?
- If at one school or the other will you really see Sam that much more because of schooling?
- Is it worth the stress of changing all your plans at this point?

From experience I would go with whatever your gut tells you to do and not look back on that decision

:hug: Good luck Meegannie. Everyone's given great advice so far; I know you'll do the right thing, and you will be able to make it work!

So apparently it'll be around 3500 pounds. And they said nice things about me.

But Nottingham has Robin Hood....

:sigh:

3500 pounds is $5,648.69 USD which is even more if you are a Canuck ($7,956.98 CAD :shocked: ) But I have no idea what meg will be paying in tuition. :shrug: I can only imagine a lot.

UEA
Pros:

• Sam
    funding
    free food sometimes because Sam will take me out
    pretty accomodations buildings
    history dept. already likes me

Cons:

• will glue self to Sam
    make no new friends
    fail classes
    be the pathetic American loser girl who everyone had such high expectations for
    no housing yet
    have to go through loan process again

Nottingham

Pros:

• better school
    forced to make friends
    Robin Hood
    good campus radio
    already have housing
    already have loan

Cons:

• force to make friends