US Politics XXXIV: Biden Against the Manchine (Live at the Sinema)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1455940313340682240?s=21

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1455942338195382275?s=21

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1455942477987434499?s=21

Identity politics isn’t going to work for Dems. Bannon called it years ago (and btw, he’s still defying a congress subpoena)

Pass stuff that helps people. Tell people what you did. Attack the other side as fucking traitors cause that’s what they are. They all support the big lie (minus 2-3 reps but they still vote against anything dem related)

Be a stronger party. Your policies are popular

This is true. The one thing Trump was really good at was self promotion, and even though he was full of shit, he said enough of it to where it still sticks with his fan base.

I’m so glad Mr Youngkin will ban CRT from our schools. This isn’t at all exactly like Republicans promising to outlaw that other Sword of Damocles seining above our necks, Sharia Law, back in 2010.

The Bear Patrol alive and working, as ever.

Seeing some takes where it could be a lot of post covid fatigue, especially with schools. 2020 and schools being closed, some of them closed for a bit this year......but it did expose parents to what kids are learning in schools now. Where before it seemed to be out of sight, out of mind.

You get the astroturfing at the schoolboard meetings, CRT, and whatever else the Right can come up with and it works. Parents start to fear that the Left/Woke crowd is brain washing their kids.

It doesn't matter if it's all lies, people react to how things feel. The Dems need to start taking control of the message.

We pass popular shit!
We reduce the debt/deficit!!
We are the Law and Order party!! (Well, maybe not if Garland decides to not bother with anything)
We fixed covid, you can have holidays with family and travel
etc etc

Seeing some takes where it could be a lot of post covid fatigue, especially with schools. 2020 and schools being closed, some of them closed for a bit this year......but it did expose parents to what kids are learning in schools now. Where before it seemed to be out of sight, out of mind.

Yep, one of the very few silver linings of our kids stuck learning from home for so long. A little more parental engagement.

PTA+

I know the rhetoric often suggests otherwise, but non-Americans actually have rights too, and if these rights get violated, they have claims to reparation.

Agreed VV, everyone can sue early and often around here. It's the American Way :wink:

Btw, President Biden made news on this very topic just yesterday. The president clarified things and we're all good now.

Idk if I’m just in the doldrums or what, but I really don’t give a shit about what congress is doing as long as it’s not Trumpy and it’s not doing nothing at all.

So yeah, fuck your pragmatic centrism but also if jerkwad West Virginia man wants to call the shots, whatever. Let him. I’m ready to move on with my life and our less than perfect society. Just no trumpy shit, and show some god damn respect and appreciation for people who are different from you.

I’m sure I’ll be annoyed soon enough again to demand that healthcare be a basic human right, and education to not be a capitalist system of indentured servitude. But rn, just do something.

Oh, and housing market, please collapse into oblivion.

Idk if I’m just in the doldrums or what, but I really don’t give a shit about what congress is doing as long as it’s not Trumpy and it’s not doing nothing at all.

So yeah, fuck your pragmatic centrism but also if jerkwad West Virginia man wants to call the shots, whatever. Let him. I’m ready to move on with my life and our less than perfect society. Just no trumpy shit, and show some god damn respect and appreciation for people who are different from you.

I’m sure I’ll be annoyed soon enough again to demand that healthcare be a basic human right, and education to not be a capitalist system of indentured servitude. But rn, just do something.

Oh, and housing market, please collapse into oblivion.

I mean, pragmatic centrism is the only way to win, but I also agree with a lot here — the silver lining to VA is that it’s possible to win without being super Trumpy, and this may make the GOP get over their Trump cuckold status and get on with it. And while a President Pence or Cruz or DeSantis would suck, these people will not launch nukes into a hurricane or ask about putting a most next time the wall and filling it with alligators.

So there’s that!

I mean, pragmatic centrism is the only way to win, but I also agree with a lot here — the silver lining to VA is that it’s possible to win without being super Trumpy, and this may make the GOP get over their Trump cuckold status and get on with it. And while a President Pence or Cruz or DeSantis would suck, these people will not launch nukes into a hurricane or ask about putting a most next time the wall and filling it with alligators.

So there’s that!

There is that perspective but never know either. These people want the End Times, and have the resources to survive such a event

It’s more the country would turn into a Texas, Florida, or any other southern welfare state.

The blue states would do what the red states currently are doing, passing laws to spite the federal law, but instead to protect people vs some money / power grab, or FU to women and minorities.

I feel like this moment in time is as good as it’s going to get for a long time.

Haven’t even mentioned that the GOP would deny climate change (already do) which will cause who knows how much damage and death.

It’s so important the Dems keep holding on. Allow the demographics to change enough that we can move past white politics

So there’s that!

yes, pragmatic centrism is the only way to win. all congressional districts, state offices, and presidential elections are the same. that's how bernie sanders has been re-elected as a senator for years. his pragmatic centrism really resonates in vermont. the voters of minneapolis and queens especially love ilhan omar's and AOC's moderate positions. it's the only way to win and these off-year elections that the incumbent party always loses proves it.

Last edited:
yes, pragmatic centrism is the only way to win. all congressional districts, state offices, and presidential elections are the same. that's how bernie sanders has been re-elected as a senator for years. his pragmatic centrism really resonates in vermont. the voters of minneapolis and queens especially love ilhan omar's and AOC's moderate positions. it's the only way to win and these off-year elections that the incumbent party always loses proves it.

Ever been to Vermont?

i've been to every state in the northeast multiple times. what's your point?

So you know it’s small and white and not at all a good place to study in order to understand how to win power nationally. Bernie may be the right Senator for that state, but that’s as far as it goes — he’s failed twice to even win the D primaries.

However, given how things are looking, Bernie’s anti-intellectual leftist populism is probably more broadly appealing than the academic leftism that’s been ascendant for a little while, which is the kind of legitimate I personally understand and relate to. But I fully realize that what I want (social progress) vs what we need (to win elections) are two very different things, and in fact may be in opposition to one another. So because I view climate change as — aside from more Trump — the looming existential threat to life on earth, I set aside what I want for what’s possible in order to give us a better chance at mitigating climate change. It’s become an organizing principle.

what I want (social progress) vs what we need (to win elections) are two very different things,

what I want (social progress) vs what we need (to win elections) are two very different things,

A messaging problem? Can't be. I thought blatant racism and calling anyone who disagreed with you a white supremacist was a surefire winner.

some of this is unavoidable.

yes, it's bad to call large swaths of people racist. but trump, ya know, was super racist. and blatantly so. so what do we say about people who supported him?

it's bad to call large swaths of people dumb. but, ya know, boebert, taylor greene and gaetz (oh my). so what do we say about those who support them? or people who follow Q? hundreds of people gathered on the grassy knoll just this week expecting that JFK Jr. would reappear. that's fucking crazy. how do we not say that it's crazy?

is america racist? yes. is it good politically to say america is racist? no.

is america dumb? good god yes. is it good politically to say america is dumb? hell no.

should parents have a say over curriculum? fuck no. is it harmful politically to say that they shouldn't? yep!

should fire fighters be fired over not taking a vaccine? god, of course! is it harmful politically to say that fire fighters should be fired? would appear so.

it's a a riddle wrapped up in a conundrum or whatever the fuck the saying is.

Last edited:
some of this is unavoidable.

yes, it's bad to call large swaths of people racist. but trump, ya know, was super racist. and blatantly so. so what do we say about people who supported him?

it's bad to call large swaths of people dumb. but, ya know, boebert, taylor greene and gaetz (oh my). so what do we say about those who support them? or people who follow Q? hundreds of people gathered on the grassy knoll just this week expecting that JFK Jr. would reappear. that's fucking crazy. how do we not say that it's crazy?

is america racist? yes. is it good politically to say america is racist? no.

is america dumb? good god yes. is it good politically to say america is dumb? hell no.

should parents have a say over curriculum? fuck no. is it harmful politically to say that they shouldn't? yep!

should fire fighters be fired over not taking a vaccine? god, of course! is it harmful politically to say that fire fighters should be fired? would appear so.

it's a a riddle wrapped up in a conundrum or whatever the fuck the saying is.

The most basic explanation is that the pandemic is not over, and it’s Joe Biden’s pandemic now.

Despite administering 220m shots and an economy now functioning at near full employment.

Expensive gas and groceries don’t help either.

Expensive gas and groceries don’t help either.

Especially when you laugh at high gas prices (Jennifer Granholm), dismiss supply chain issues (Jen "treadmill" Psaki) and mock a family with numerous adopted children over their concerns of rising milk prices (Jonathan Chait).

Hey, it's sure nice to have the adults running things again though, guys. I can't imagine why these people are increasingly not being taken seriously. :scratch:

Especially when you laugh at high gas prices (Jennifer Granholm), dismiss supply chain issues (Jen "treadmill" Psaki) and mock a family with numerous adopted children over their concerns of rising milk prices (Jonathan Chait).

Hey, it's sure nice to have the adults running things again though, guys. I can't imagine why these people are increasingly not being taken seriously. :scratch:

i mean the last guy dismissed a fucking pandemic, but sure, apples to apples.

Who said they were on the same level? I'm saying the contempt and lack of self-awareness on these dinner table issues is astounding.

And on the subject of COVID, what doesn't help is Biden coughing into his right hand and then shaking hands with people. Or Harris (while wearing a mask) walking towards a group of students to then take off her mask and start touching them. Or Pelosi holding a fancy, snobby fundraiser in Napa with no social distancing or masks- because, you know, they're better than you. The level of self-inflicted ridicule, mockery and distrust is unreal.

And if you disagree with me, you're a white supremacist.

Yeah, hundreds of thousands dead, but sure, gas and groceries are the same level.

I’m not agreeing at all with this calculation, but this is the calculation that is being made. It must be contended with.

“CRT” is an imaginary fear, like Centeal American caravans or E-bola spreading in the US. But we need to realize that, not only have a significant portion of Americans subjected themselves willingly to propaganda both foreign and domestic, the Internet has made it hard for some possibly well-intentioned folks to distinguish between the truth and a lie.

And objectively smart people. Like, I know people with degrees and executive positions who are worried about the vaccine causing infertility. Or who will say with confidence that Ivermectin worked in India and now India is covid-free. But the “mainstream media” doesn’t want you to know this.

Anybody who suggests that the “‘mainstream media” doesn’t want you to know about a lifesaving drug miracle story is not a smart person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom