US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and a focus on upward mobility (which everyone has the chance to achieve, and happens every day)

There's a huge body of research that shows upward mobility to be the exception, not the rule. Not only in the US. But the idea that anyone can make it easily is demonstrably a myth. So I agree, there should be a stronger focus on policies that promote, rather than stifle, upward social mobility. Like, e.g., investing in education. But it also needs to include tiding people over during times of crisis and hardship.

It’s maddening.

The estate removed a few books, not all of them!

The GQP live in a completely different universe than everyone else. It’s destroyed our political system and doing harm to society as a whole.

You can’t debate something that isn’t real, this isn’t even philosophical, it’s just plain make believe to create a grievance and collect $ from suckers.

At least there are rumblings of more and more Dems seeing the light in regards to the filibuster and their opportunity to pass real meaningful legislation that will help everyone. By helping people they will build more trust again and possibly secure a better future for society and their own ability to govern this way

It’s maddening.

The estate removed a few books, not all of them!

You don’t have to explain the lack of logic. It’s intentional. They’re making a rallying cry out of nothing because the GOP has clearly behind closed doors agreed that their agenda whilst the minority will be to harp on cancel culture. They have never had a respect for truthfulness, don’t know why that would suddenly matter now

Hold on everyone, the good Christian is here to tell you his sincere feelings on how you’re the real racists!! Just doing the lord’s work.

“If you don’t vote for me, you ain’t black”
“Minorities don’t know now to go online”
“Poor kids as well as white kids”

Just to name a few....or I could post clips of AOC or Hillary using “blaccent” or talking about hot sauce in purses.

I’d be upset about the Democratic Party’s racist history (slavery, Jim Crow, KKK, voting en masse AGAINST the civil rights act), and all of the above quotes and events all happened after that(as well as all of the embarrassing blackface controversies.)

Now a good, well trained liberal will pull out the old “Southern Strategy “ myth of the parties switching platforms magically, but anyone who actually reads the historical record and not an article from The Guardian or Buzzfeed will know that’s completely false.

I live in a lower income , racially diverse community and have for many years. And it may shock you, but my church is equally White, Black, and Hispanic, and yes, somehow, despite the liberal narratives, we all worship together.

For all of your virtue signaling ( I mean ALL as in most on this forum), how many of you live in a racially diverse community, or “dare” to live near lower income housing areas??

I would be interested to know how diverse your particular circles are, and if any of your opinions on race, gender, income inequality issues come from real life experience or just what Anderson Cooper tells you.

Quite comical, all of it really.

We can talk about the “gender gap” in income, when you can show me where men and women doing the exact same jobs with the same levels of expertise and experience get paid less, otherwise, it’s just more liberal propaganda.

Wait, what about the other fifty genders?

Just to name a few....or I could post clips of AOC or Hillary using “blaccent” or talking about hot sauce in purses.

I’d be upset about the Democratic Party’s racist history (slavery, Jim Crow, KKK, voting en masse AGAINST the civil rights act), and all of the above quotes and events all happened after that(as well as all of the embarrassing blackface controversies.)

Now a good, well trained liberal will pull out the old “Southern Strategy “ myth of the parties switching platforms magically, but anyone who actually reads the historical record and not an article from The Guardian or Buzzfeed will know that’s completely false.

I live in a lower income , racially diverse community and have for many years. And it may shock you, but my church is equally White, Black, and Hispanic, and yes, somehow, despite the liberal narratives, we all worship together.

For all of your virtue signaling ( I mean ALL as in most on this forum), how many of you live in a racially diverse community, or “dare” to live near lower income housing areas??

I would be interested to know how diverse your particular circles are, and if any of your opinions on race, gender, income inequality issues come from real life experience or just what Anderson Cooper tells you.

We can talk about the “gender gap” in income, when you can show me where men and women doing the exact same jobs with the same levels of expertise and experience get paid less, otherwise, it’s just more liberal propaganda.

I’ve lived in majority black neighborhoods since 2004. In my neighborhood, there are some black residents who own million dollar homes and others who are likely at the poverty line.

But go ahead and tell me how Nixon’s Southern Strategy wasn’t real and Dixiecrats are liberal propaganda because the real racists are Democrats in 2021.

we all live in rich white neighbourhoods and never encounter people of color? that's a rather racist assumption.

i live in the lowest income neighbourhood in the urban core of the second most diverse city in north america. fuck you.

Last edited:
LOL @ those Biden quotes being used to represent the thoughts of anyone who isn't a right wing sociopath. I'm not Biden's keeper. I didn't vote for him in the primary. I specifically register as a Democrat so I can choose a candidate that won't cause meaningless deflections later. Alas.

To add a dose of complexity to the sports team politics that people like Gzus engage in because they don't have a leg to stand on in a political debate: fuck the Democratic party. I don't work for them, they work for me. And if they fall short on their promises, I chastise them for it. Many of us do, which one would take note of if they weren't arguing in bad faith.

Unfortunately, I have a soul and make less than $500,000 a year, so the Democrats are my best hope.

Gzus, you contribute nothing of substance to this forum, but I will give you credit for serving as a useful compilation of right wing Facebook memes. I'm sure you have a Yahoo comment section you could be circlejerking in, but instead you graced us with your presence. How generous.

Also, and I know Gzus won't read this because he doesn't give a damn, I spent the last 6 years living in Van Nuys, CA, which is very low income and got crushed by the economic fallout of the pandemic as well as the virus itself. The area is 23% white, so I was part of the cultural minority for the first time in my life. It was humbling.

But even if I had lived in Toluca Lake my whole life like I do now, my parents and my religious texts taught me to care for the poor and disenfranchised. I don't know why people like Gzus never got the memo.

Lmao your attempts at taking a stance are so Christian and honorable and come from such a good honest place

What’s best is you try to sizzle some points about the KKK and Jim Crow, as though the party over the years hasn’t changed in dynamics. Like, you do realize all those shitty people in the Democratic Party famously defected to the Republican Party in the 80s and 90s, right?

Of course you don’t.

Have you been to Miley Cyrus' swimming pool?
Her old house is a few minutes walk from my apartment! But she moved back to Nashville a while ago.

This used to be where all the Golden Age Hollywood actors lived. Now the only celebrities hanging around are Viola Davis and Andy Garcia.

Her old house is a few minutes walk from my apartment! But she moved back to Nashville a while ago.

This used to be where all the Golden Age Hollywood actors lived. Now the only celebrities hanging around are Viola Davis and Andy Garcia.

I love Viola Davis, she is the real deal. She grew up in poverty in Rhode Island and gives back because of that. Beautiful inside and out, and a very talented actress too.

See the GQP strategy is to vote no on a bill, then take credit for it when it passes.

Edited cause you're not worth it. Have your picture
[emoji1782]

10virus-us-briefing-hartisland-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to virtue signal that NY state politics seems utterly disgusting.

Cuomo’s conduct could also remain camouflaged in a state capital known for the grotesquely antiquated and unjust hierarchies it thrives on. As one woman who worked in Cuomo’s counsel office early in his tenure told me, “Albany felt like a seedy adult summer camp.”

Yuh-Line Niou, a staffer for Assemblymember Kim before winning office herself (doubling Asian American representation in Albany), spoke of how she had her ass grabbed in an elevator by an elected official within her first week in town; she was 27 and also recalled an assemblymember who approached her and Kim at a fund-raiser and said, “ ‘I can’t believe you guys haven’t fucked, I would fuck both of you and I would pay to see you two fuck; I would pay to join.’ ” She said that Kim was so conscious of how much harassment she endured that when they were in Albany, he’d always offer to grab her lunch so she wouldn’t have to venture out alone.

If the town is rough, the press corps that covers it doesn’t offer enlightened salvation. “You walk into the Legislative Correspondents Association, and it’s largely men and largely white men,” said Amy Spitalnick, who worked as the New York attorney general’s communications director and senior policy adviser from 2016 to 2019. “There are very tangible impacts of that on how our government is covered: what is deemed permissible and what rises to the level of attention. Which is why all of this has been an open secret for so long.” There are women in the press corps, but, Spitalnick said, “they can get burned out,” in part because of the aggression they face from Cuomo. In 2012, it was reported that the administration kept a 35-page dossier on journalist Liz Benjamin, who two years ago left her job hosting Capital Tonight. Another reporter, Lindsay Nielsen, wrote recently about how, in 2017, she left her job covering politics for the Albany-based News10 after five years of “threatening” and “incessant bullying” from the Cuomo administration.

As the story of Cuomo’s tactics gets reported in a more critical light, Josefa Velásquez, a 29-year old senior reporter for The City, said that she sometimes considers how some colleagues, including some of those now covering Cuomo’s troubles, “never used the power that they had to defend anyone else before this.” She’s referring to both reporters and some of the governor’s advisers. “No one checked him. He’s the governor of New York who has consolidated all this power and has all these political allies. But his aides and the men in the press corps, some of them are just as complicit in this behavior.”

There are a few hundred people at least — insiders in Albany, in media, in labor — who have known how Cuomo operates for years. And then there are tens of millions who just really love him on TV.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/andrew-cuomo-misconduct-allegations.html

Why should we bother sharing anything about our lives with you? It's sure as hell not like you're going to pay attention to a word we say, or engage us in a good faith conversation. I've told my story about my family's financial struggles NUMEROUS times on here over the years, some of it in conversations with you, and yet you still keep peddling a bunch of BS about how people who are poor "just need to work harder" and other nonsense like that. Even after I've told you, time and again, to knock it off with that whole mindset. You're not really in any position to demand any kind of information from us.

Also, your snarky Anderson Cooper remark-I know this might come as a shock to you, someone who happily spouts the same ol' conservative talking points every time you pop in here, but the people here are actually capable of forming their own opinions and don't rely on people like Cooper to get their beliefs.

This kind of comment is also proof that we shouldn't take your "Tell me more about yourselves" argument even remotely seriously. This isn't cute or clever or funny. It's just obnoxious.

Why should we bother sharing anything about our lives with you? It's sure as hell not like you're going to pay attention to a word we say, or engage us in a good faith conversation. I've told my story about my family's financial struggles NUMEROUS times on here over the years, some of it in conversations with you, and yet you still keep peddling a bunch of BS about how people who are poor "just need to work harder" and other nonsense like that. Even after I've told you, time and again, to knock it off with that whole mindset. You're not really in any position to demand any kind of information from us.

Also, your snarky Anderson Cooper remark-I know this might come as a shock to you, someone who happily spouts the same ol' conservative talking points every time you pop in here, but the people here are actually capable of forming their own opinions and don't rely on people like Cooper to get their beliefs.

This kind of comment is also proof that we shouldn't take your "Tell me more about yourselves" argument even remotely seriously. This isn't cute or clever or funny. It's just obnoxious.

well said, hear hear :up:

The best part about the Anderson Cooper comment is that that dude isn’t even the right target for that comment. Cuomo and Lemon are CNN’s direct response to Hannity and Carlson, and Donald Trump is the one who backed CNN into that corner circa 2015.

ew.

COLUMBUS – PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel donated $10 million to a super PAC supporting Hillbilly Elegy author J.D. Vance, a show of support for the possible Ohio Senate contender.

Thiel, a German-American billionaire and early investor in Facebook, gave $10 million to Protect Ohio Values, a super PAC formed last month to support Vance's possible bid, said Bryan Lanza, a communications adviser to the super PAC.

The Mercer family also made a "significant contribution," Lanza said. Hedge fund billionaire Robert Mercer and his family were key supporters of former President Donald Trump's presidential bid. Mercer was an important investor in Breitbart News and a force in the campaign for the United Kingdom to leave the European Union.

Protect Ohio Values' website indicates that the organization was created to back Vance: "We're a network of grassroots conservatives committed to electing a Senator who will stand for and defend Ohio's values in Washington, DC. We believe J. D. Vance is the right man for the job and we are signing up supporters and raising funds to demonstrate a groundswell of support in the Buckeye State."

Vance is a venture capitalist best known for his best-selling memoir "Hillbilly Elegy," which was recently turned into a Netflix movie starring actors Amy Adams and Glenn Close. Vance and his family moved to Cincinnati's East Walnut Hills neighborhood in 2018.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...ce-gets-10-m-donation-peter-thiel/4700540001/

honestly, the best outcome in still Trump-y OH would be to back Kasich as an I and have him win and then he'll likely vote for most D priorities.

also, sorry Glen Close, who was very good in a bad movie. but an Oscar win will only help this grifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom