US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Niki Haley is a craven opportunist but not a total idiot so this one could go either way.

There is nothing "respectful" about Trump, so the further away he stays, the better.

NY Times says Trump made up being invited by the Yankees to throw out the first pitch on Aug whatever it was. That the team was surprised by him saying he was doing it, then cancelling (due to being so busy with covid-yeah right).Yankees are saying he has a standing invitation, probably just to make him look better.

I'd bet he was jealous of Fauci.

Supposedly he has a "standing invitation" from Randy Levine to throw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium, so he just announced he was doing it Aug 15, likely because Fauci was throwing the first pitch (into the first base dugout) on opening night.
So no official invite for 8/15, but not 100% made up, just 98.6% made up.

Trump was the biggest man baby ever at his so called press conference today. Nobody likes me, Fauci has a higher approval rating, wah wah wah. It's the narcissism, it's toxic.

this is (probably) really good news:

President Trump’s campaign has quietly receded from the television airwaves in Michigan in recent weeks, shifting money elsewhere as one of the key Midwestern states that powered his surprise victory in 2016 threatens to move more firmly back into the Democratic column in 2020.

Michigan began the year with expectations that it would be one of the most intense battlegrounds in the country, but its share of Trump television advertising dollars dwindled this summer as Joseph R. Biden Jr. built a steady advantage in the polls.

Since the end of June, Mr. Trump has spent more money on ads in 10 other states — with Michigan falling behind even much smaller states like Iowa and Nevada — and in recent days, Mr. Trump’s campaign stopped buying ads in Michigan entirely.

The Biden campaign has more than tripled what Mr. Trump spent on television in Michigan in the last month, by far the most lopsided advantage of any swing state where both are advertising. And in Detroit, the state’s largest media market, the Trump campaign last ran a television ad, outside of national ad buys that include the state, on July 3, according to data from Advertising Analytics.

Mr. Trump faces a trifecta of troubles in Michigan, according to political strategists and state polling: reduced support among less educated white voters in a contest against Mr. Biden compared with Hillary Clinton; motivated Black voters in the state’s urban centers; and suburban voters who continue to flee Mr. Trump’s divisive brand of politics.

“Of all the states he won in 2016, Trump would be most hard-pressed to keep Michigan in his column this time around,” said Geoff Garin, a Democratic pollster for Priorities USA, a Democratic super PAC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/us/politics/michigan-trump-biden-2020.html

i think it's clear that Biden is a much stronger candidate than HRC was in Michigan. she lost it in the 2016 primary to Bernie; in 2020, Biden absolutely flattened Bernie in every single county. also, Whitmer remains quite popular due to her generally good handling of COVID, furthering the thesis that female leaders are better at this; this also shows what an opportunity COVID could have been for Trump -- had he been able to actually, you know, act like a leader when the crisis broke out in mid-March, it could have been a political windfall for him.

the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if they aren't pulling out because Moscow has already told them that they've got the hacking and vote-flipping under control and ready to roll, just like last time. but probably not.

it also seems like they are going to be pouring money into Iowa and Georgia to try and hold the Senate, which, barring something unexpected, might turn into the GOP's only 2020 hope: hold the Senate.

without wanting to give away too much personal info ... and it's not like this is secret or insider or anything, i just don't want to talk about personal stuff ... but i receive electoral information from a source that could be considered, not necessarily conservative, but very pro-business, ie, Chamber of Commerce-type republicans. in their electoral forecast, they seemed to be talking up the positive benefits of a GOP House and a D White House as being the best possible option, as we'd have the return of stability in the executive branch but a GOP Senate willing to fight off any particularly onerous tax hikes/regulations demanded by the Left wing of the Democratic Party. (I do not endorse, or do not not endorse, this message; this is just info I've seen).

this seems to me like a strategy the GOP might take, especially with suburban voters (i'm not suburban, btw), who hate Trump but also love their retirement accounts. they may emphasize the need to balance out Biden with a vote for a GOP Senator. that may be all they have left -- sacrifice the WH, keep or at least tie the Senate, and fight like hell starting January 21, 2021.

without wanting to give away too much personal info ... and it's not like this is secret or insider or anything, i just don't want to talk about personal stuff ... but i receive electoral information from a source that could be considered, not necessarily conservative, but very pro-business, ie, Chamber of Commerce-type republicans.

I've said many times that anecdotally, the wealthy, business/finance type of Republicans have abandoned Trump. I will even provide a direct quote from a former CEO of a Fortune 500 company: "I just can't support that idiot anymore." Totally COVID-related and based on uncertainty regarding second, third waves but the absolute certainty that Trump cannot manage them nor the economic fallout therefrom.

The problem with their proposed approach as described by you is that Trumpists and Trump himself will go 100% scorched earth on anyone who dares adopt this view or strategy.

Well it looks like Trumps “change of tone lasted about 5 days”

Now back to shitting on Fauci, hocking Hydrochloriquine, saying mask don’t work, and praising “spectacular” doctors who believe we are harvesting alien DNA to create vaccines against religion, and women have vaginal problems because they fuck demons and witches in their dreams.

And looks like Pence got the message like a good little boy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedTRaccoon/status/1288544581106184193

Also, 95% it’s Harris for Vp,

Only others being mentioned recently are Rice and Bass.

Bass is boring and not well known. Rice threatens to bring back some Clinton baggage which isn’t needed, and also Harris is going to seem much more fresh than a holdover from the Obama Administration.

And oh how I want to see Harris debate Pence.

Rice brings with her Benghazi, which causes some to start foaming at the mouth and convulse, because it was just as bad if not worse than COVID. Or anything else that has ever happened in American history. Just sidestep that, and put her in the cabinet — it’s clear O and Joe think the world of her.

Harris seems like a dream VP right now. She’s a cop? That will help immensely if LAW AND ORDER is the issue he wants to run on — she’s a BIPOC woman who has also put people in jail, so it’s genius — it both inspires the base (which isn’t lefitst, it’s Black) and also gives Biden a touch of Sister Souljah, which will be important for suburbanites who will find Trump’s tweet today racist (it so was) but are also leery of what are clearly rising crime rates (and have memories of the 80s and 90s when crime was way, way worse).

If I’m wrong, and it isn’t Harris, I’d love to know why.

Personally, I’d prefer E Warren. I Gee like she could actually get us out of this economic mess. But if we’re talking politics, who could possible give us all this and a super-easy Senate seat to keep blue?

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/schwartzbcnbc/status/1288561956350300166?s=21

Yeah, don’t want someone too ambitious on the job. Someone who’ll prove themselves each day that they could someday become President.

This is truly the stupidest thing I've read today.

She wants to be the VP pick because she is overly ambitious and ultimately wants to be President. That is literally the fucking point, particularly when the presidential candidate is older than Methuselah.

I don't know about the others but Susan Rice is out - she's never been elected to anything and she's way too tied to the Clintons. She's obviously intelligent and well spoken and capable but that sort of baggage isn't necessary.

I don't know who Karen Bass is, though I suppose that in itself could be a strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom