US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be absolutely shocked if McConnell lost. That's case of champagne territory. I'll give some to friends.

If I had to make a wager, my bet would be that Mitch squeaks by and Lindsey loses by a couple points. Harrison is a much greater threat than McGrath in my opinion.

It would be so sweet to see him lose after hitching onto Trump. Thinking back to his own words.

“If we chose Trump, we will lose, and we’ll deserve it”

Mitch is going to win the typical 55-45 that a well funded democrat can garner in that state I’m sure, but I’m sure that’s the same for Lindsey Graham. Would love to be wrong though.

[puts on tin foil hat]

1. Barr and Trump try to remove the US attorney at SDNY and replace him with someone from outside SDNY. They put out a press release saying he "resigned"

2. US attorney balks, makes a public stink, says he has not resigned

3. US attorney ends up stepping down but only after arranging for his second in command to take over to ensure that important cases go on uninterrupted

4. A week or so later Maxwell is arrested

[/takes off tin foil hat]

https://twitter.com/davidcorndc/status/1283759910921134082?s=21

Would anything be done if Russia changes votes this November ? Trump is already letting the USPS die a slow death to limit mail voting.

The thing that always sticks with me is despite such horrible horrible polling, no one on the GOP seems to care.

In normal times they’d be ditching Trump, or doing anything to reverse. I can’t see them just accepting defeat since they know it could be the last time they hold on to power

My tin foil hat says they know the game is rigged and will come out on top.

Whether it’s Russia, Bill Barr accusing states of fraud, or something else sinister to come

I would be absolutely shocked if McConnell lost. That's case of champagne territory. I'll give some to friends.

Me too. And even though is defeat would clearly be the most impactful, on a personal level I would enjoy seeing Susan Collins get the boot way more. Because she is the worst sort of person in my view - spineless and talking out of both sides of her mouth. At least McConnell is a blatant little dictator.

I don't think so.

I think he'd hang around and wait the two years with the thought that the Democrats will inevitably shoot themselves in the foot and he can take over again.

If that doesn't happen? Then I think he'll retire.

That also makes sense.

But I think that you'd have a bunch of Republican vultures circling around him too so it depends on how aggressively one of them decides to try and sink him.

three years ago, when this nonsense started really heating up, we had discussions about the appropriateness of the words "fascist" and "fascism" and how applicable, or not, they were to Trump.

this seems pretty fascist:

Hospitals will begin sending coronavirus-related information directly to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), not the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), under new instructions from the Trump administration.

The move will take effect on Wednesday, according to a new guidance and FAQ document for hospitals and clinical labs quietly posted on the HHS website.

Previously, hospitals reported to the CDC's National Healthcare Safety Network, which the agency describes as the nation’s most widely used health care-associated infection tracking system.

The CDC tracked information including how many beds are available, the number of ventilators available and how many COVID-19 patients the hospitals have.

Beginning Wednesday, hospitals will report the same data but will bypass the CDC and send it to HHS directly.

According to HHS, the goal is to streamline data collection, which will be used to inform decisions at the federal level such as allocation of supplies, treatments and other resources.

But the move comes amid concerns that the White House has been sidelining the CDC and after Trump administration officials attacked Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert and a member of the White House coronavirus task force.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...VbKXu-UOLbqbX_fuAb6nxdO0vm9q3oN7IPY-Hlgx3aIp4

i'm looking forward to August, September, and October, when we will suddenly have three straight months of COVID decline to ride like a white horse into November, thanks to Trump's steadfast leadership and absolute cooking of the books.

You just don't even know what to say about this. The fact that children will die. Teachers will die. staff will die. It doesn't matter, because Trump needs the economy numbers to get better.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1283839301734801410

Just got the "plan" for reopening my daughters school. There is a remote option which we will do. But no face masks, no mention of distancing in the classroom.
Talk of having kids"walk on separate sides of the hallway" and having fewer people in the cafeteria at a time.
This is not going to be good.

It's absolutely bizarre to me that school reopening would be dictated at the national level in a country so large and populous as the US. In our province, which has "only" 16 million people, the decisions as to how/if to bring kids back have been delegated to individual school boards. That makes sense - a school board that has schools in downtown Toronto should have a different set of rules than one hundreds of kilometres away in rural, northern Ontario in towns which may have no cases.

Trump needs everyone back at work so that he can claim to be the saviour of the economy - remember that idiot in Texas who said there are more important things than living? Yeah, we're back to that.

The
@FiveThirtyEight
nat'l polling average with 110 days until E-Day:

2020: Biden+9.1
2016: Clinton+1.1
2012: Obama+0.9
2008: Obama+4.2
2004: Kerry+1.9
2000: Bush+6.4
1996: Clinton+15.2
1992: Clinton+13.7
1988: Dukakis+4.0
1984: Reagan+12.1
1980: Reagan+11.3
1976: Carter+7.0

Chuck Woolery on twitter last week:

“The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it’s all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I’m sick of it,"

This was of course retweeted by Trump.

Today

Chuck Woolery deletes his account after his son tests positive for Coronavirus.

You just don't even know what to say about this. The fact that children will die. Teachers will die. staff will die. It doesn't matter, because Trump needs the economy numbers to get better.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1283839301734801410

Just got the "plan" for reopening my daughters school. There is a remote option which we will do. But no face masks, no mention of distancing in the classroom.

Talk of having kids"walk on separate sides of the hallway" and having fewer people in the cafeteria at a time.

This is not going to be good.

Her quote about science getting in the way, and the science is on their side

This is why they removed data from CDC. As Irvine posted above, the “science” will show the virus is going away over the next few months.

Of course the truth always wins out in the end. Unfortunately for us a lot of our loved ones will be harmed by these lies.

Dukakis tho

‘Twas a different time when the gap between the parties wasn’t so vast. My parents used to split their votes, and generally liked divided government because it often led to good government, not gridlock. All that changed with the 1994 midterms (and had it’s roots in Pat Buchanan’s 1992 convention speech), and the nail in the coffin was W and the Iraq war.

It’s totally different now. Tribalism means that most people have long made up their minds.

All Trump has left is cheating and Russian assistance.

It's absolutely bizarre to me that school reopening would be dictated at the national level in a country so large and populous as the US. In our province, which has "only" 16 million people, the decisions as to how/if to bring kids back have been delegated to individual school boards. That makes sense - a school board that has schools in downtown Toronto should have a different set of rules than one hundreds of kilometres away in rural, northern Ontario in towns which may have no cases.

Trump needs everyone back at work so that he can claim to be the saviour of the economy - remember that idiot in Texas who said there are more important things than living? Yeah, we're back to that.

It's not dictated at the federal level, he's only trying to do so. Like many other instances, he's trying to turn the presidency into an absolute dictatorship, but again will be to no avail.
It's all done at the local level. Here in MA there are recommendations by the state board of education (which are being resisted by the Mass Teacher's Association), but the decisions on how to implement schooling this fall are made by local school districts individually.

It's not dictated at the federal level, he's only trying to do so. Like many other instances, he's trying to turn the presidency into an absolute dictatorship, but again will be to no avail.
It's all done at the local level. Here in MA there are recommendations by the state board of education (which are being resisted by the Mass Teacher's Association), but the decisions on how to implement schooling this fall are made by local school districts individually.

Oh I know that it's not constitutionally or in practice, but the notion that all these Republicans are parroting what he's saying is absolutely insane. Imagine them being ok with Obama telling local schools that they must open! Even if he had no power to do so.

Today, Cook political Report shifted their rating of 20 House Races across the country.

ALL 20 shifted to the Dems.
8 Solid R races shifted to Likely or Lean R. Leaving no solid R left on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom