The legacy of President George W. Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bush-miss-me-yet.jpg

i miss him like lance armstrong misses cancer.

here's something we can blame on Bush:

Got a little news for ya, 1. even if Bin Ladin had been captured or killed at Tora Bora in 2001, Al Quada would still exist today, the taliban would still be fighting in both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

2. No amount of troops or reinforcements would have guaranteed the killing or capture of Bin Ladin in 2001. The area had difficult terain, and many caves and tunnels which could easily allow an individual or small group of individuals to escape. Even with todays much larger deployment of troops and resources, small groups of Taliban fighters still go back and forth across the border undetected.

3. Once again, lets try to remember that Bin Ladin and Al Quada existed prior to Bush coming into office. Clinton had years and several opportunities to kill or capture Bin Ladin and failed to. Clinton had the option for a far more aggressive stance towards Al Quada and the Taliban in Afghanistan, yet both were still well in place years after they had bombed US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania killing hundreds of American citizens and Kenyan and Tanzanian citizens.

The fact is, when Clinton left office, the Taliban were still in power in Afghanistan, and Saddam was still in power in Iraq. Bush removed both of these threats from power.

Oh and by the way, claiming that Bush lost the war in Afghanistan as well as the war in Iraq is probably the most absurd thing you have ever said in this forum. The original goal of each war was to remove the ruling regime in each country, the Taliban regime in Afghanistan and the Saddam regime in Iraq. Both regimes were removed within weeks of Bush ordering the military to do so.

With both regimes removed the long process of nation building in both countries was started. There have been set backs and huge accomplishments in this process in both countries. But this is a process that has historically taken 10+ years or even decades to complete.

Iraq today has a standard of living better than a country like Morocco and violence is down to levels as low as the United States based on the number of people murdered per month and compared to the USA on a per capita basis. The Iraqi military has made great strides over the past 6 years in developing into a force that can handle security on its own in Iraq. Economic growth continues and companies from around the world are coming in to develop Iraq's oil fields which in the coming years will generate enormous wealth for the country. Politically, while there has been much trouble, things are being handled through discussions and negotiotions instead of violence. The difference between today and just before the Surge in January 2007 is basically night and day. Even Obama, who opposed the Surge has admitted that it worked. There has been total continuity between both administrations on Iraq. Bush's policies in Iraq were so successful that Obama chose to continue those same policies when he came into office.

The setbacks in Afghanistan have been unfortunate, but do not change the fact that much has been accomplished there since 2001. While the Taliban have become resurgent thanks to their sancturaies in Pakistan, they have not been able to take or hold any major towns in Afghanistan. The Surge in Afghanistan will work, just as it did in Iraq. Afghanistan is a larger and much less developed country than Iraq, which is part of the reason why the efforts there are running into more problems. But provided the US and other countries do not abandon the effort, it will eventually succeed in helping Afghanistan develop into a country that can handle its own internal security problems without the need for significant numbers of foreign troops.

By the way, are you still supporting Biden's old plan to carve up Iraq into different countries? :wink:

Got a little news for ya, 1. even if Bin Ladin had been captured or killed at Tora Bora in 2001, Al Quada would still exist today, the taliban would still be fighting in both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

2. No amount of troops or reinforcements would have guaranteed the killing or capture of Bin Ladin in 2001. The area had difficult terain, and many caves and tunnels which could easily allow an individual or small group of individuals to escape. Even with todays much larger deployment of troops and resources, small groups of Taliban fighters still go back and forth across the border undetected.

3. Once again, lets try to remember that Bin Ladin and Al Quada existed prior to Bush coming into office. Clinton had years and several opportunities to kill or capture Bin Ladin and failed to. Clinton had the option for a far more aggressive stance towards Al Quada and the Taliban in Afghanistan, yet both were still well in place years after they had bombed US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania killing hundreds of American citizens and Kenyan and Tanzanian citizens.

The fact is, when Clinton left office, the Taliban were still in power in Afghanistan, and Saddam was still in power in Iraq. Bush removed both of these threats from power.

Oh and by the way, claiming that Bush lost the war in Afghanistan as well as the war in Iraq is probably the most absurd thing you have ever said in this forum. The original goal of each war was to remove the ruling regime in each country, the Taliban regime in Afghanistan and the Saddam regime in Iraq. Both regimes were removed within weeks of Bush ordering the military to do so.

With both regimes removed the long process of nation building in both countries was started. There have been set backs and huge accomplishments in this process in both countries. But this is a process that has historically taken 10+ years or even decades to complete.

Iraq today has a standard of living better than a country like Morocco and violence is down to levels as low as the United States based on the number of people murdered per month and compared to the USA on a per capita basis. The Iraqi military has made great strides over the past 6 years in developing into a force that can handle security on its own in Iraq. Economic growth continues and companies from around the world are coming in to develop Iraq's oil fields which in the coming years will generate enormous wealth for the country. Politically, while there has been much trouble, things are being handled through discussions and negotiotions instead of violence. The difference between today and just before the Surge in January 2007 is basically night and day. Even Obama, who opposed the Surge has admitted that it worked. There has been total continuity between both administrations on Iraq. Bush's policies in Iraq were so successful that Obama chose to continue those same policies when he came into office.

The setbacks in Afghanistan have been unfortunate, but do not change the fact that much has been accomplished there since 2001. While the Taliban have become resurgent thanks to their sancturaies in Pakistan, they have not been able to take or hold any major towns in Afghanistan. The Surge in Afghanistan will work, just as it did in Iraq. Afghanistan is a larger and much less developed country than Iraq, which is part of the reason why the efforts there are running into more problems. But provided the US and other countries do not abandon the effort, it will eventually succeed in helping Afghanistan develop into a country that can handle its own internal security problems without the need for significant numbers of foreign troops.

By the way, are you still supporting Biden's old plan to carve up Iraq into different countries? :wink:

Strongbow: you are on my ignore list. please respect that and stop trolling my posts.

Strongbow: you are on my ignore list. please respect that and stop trolling my posts.

Wow!? Guess what, responding to another persons post is NOT considered to be trolling!

If I was indeed on your ignore list, you wouldn't be able to quote me. LOL:wink:

Wow!? Guess what, responding to another persons post is NOT considered to be trolling!

Then you'll just have to be ok with the fact that replying to Irvine's posts won't produce any replies from him. So if you're lining up a 10 page response to really show him, consider that you won't get any reply from him on it.

If I was indeed on your ignore list, you wouldn't be able to quote me. LOL:wink:

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Correct.

Then you'll just have to be ok with the fact that replying to Irvine's posts won't produce any replies from him. So if you're lining up a 10 page response to really show him, consider that you won't get any reply from him on it.

Well, I just got a reply from him even though I'm supposedly on his ignore list.:wink: Its not the first time thats happened either.

All I know is that if Obama and Reid and Pelosi had had their way in Iraq, Saddam and his sons would still be raping women, gassing the Kurds, and proliferating weapons to our enemies.

wow, guess what, you go through threads and pull up posts of mine from weeks ago and cut-and-paste your usual antagonistic bullshit. it isn't intended to start any sort of debate or discussion, it's intended to try and get a rise out of me.

perhaps you feel the need to try and score some make-up points because i used to take the time to dismantle and destroy your "arguments" over the years. no longer. i added you to my Ignore List -- the only person, ever -- well over a year ago, and i have almost never respond to in any direct way for well over a year, and on the rare occasion that i do, it's because i've had a slip in judgment and given in to your antagonism.

you can obviously do what you like, and this is a public message board, but i am asking you to please leave me alone.

wow, guess what, you go through threads and pull up posts of mine from weeks ago and cut-and-paste your usual antagonistic bullshit. .

LOL, I entered this one thread on the legacy of George W. Bush and responded TO ONE POST! There was nothing ataganoistic about what I said. Just discussing the issues. Unfortunately, you can't seem to discuss issues without making false, inaccurate, and absurd comments about other forum members which have NOTHING to do with the issues.

it isn't intended to start any sort of debate or discussion, it's intended to try and get a rise out of me.

Again, what I discuss are the issues. What you like to discuss are the alleged posting habbits of other people as your most recent post once again proves.

perhaps you feel the need to try and score some make-up points because i used to take the time to dismantle and destroy your "arguments" over the years.

LOL, usually what would happen is that after failing to do just that, you would turn your focus on the poster with tons of labling, name calling, and comments about the poster rather than the issue being discussed, just as you are doing here.

I can bring up plenty of examples if you like.

i added you to my Ignore List -- the only person, ever -- well over a year ago, and i have almost never respond to in any direct way for well over a year, and on the rare occasion that i do, it's because i've had a slip in judgment and given in to your antagonism.

This post by you is an example of antagonism. Discussing issues in this forum is not considered to be antaganistic. Discussing posters and their alleged posting habbits as you like to do, as well as labling them, is antaganistic behavior.

you can obviously do what you like, and this is a public message board, but i am asking you to please leave me alone.

Well, if I'm really on your ignore list, I don't see how this is an issue.

Strongbow, it's extremely dishonest of you to say that you're not antagonistic. You post lies as fact to get a rise out of people.

Strongbow, it's extremely dishonest of you to say that you're not antagonistic. You post lies as fact to get a rise out of people.

I don't post lies, I post facts and opinions. I focus on the issues. Thats not antagonistic. Focusing on other people and making irrelevant and unnecessary comments about other people is antagonistic.

I consider your posts a personal attack on my intelligence. Personal attacks are against the rules, so I suggest you look in your own backyard.

I'm probably going to join Irvine in putting you on my Ignore List.

LOL, I entered this one thread on the legacy of George W. Bush and responded TO ONE POST! There was nothing ataganoistic about what I said. Just discussing the issues. Unfortunately, you can't seem to discuss issues without making false, inaccurate, and absurd comments about other forum members which have NOTHING to do with the issues.

Again, what I discuss are the issues. What you like to discuss are the alleged posting habbits of other people as your most recent post once again proves.

LOL, usually what would happen is that after failing to do just that, you would turn your focus on the poster with tons of labling, name calling, and comments about the poster rather than the issue being discussed, just as you are doing here.

I can bring up plenty of examples if you like.

This post by you is an example of antagonism. Discussing issues in this forum is not considered to be antaganistic. Discussing posters and their alleged posting habbits as you like to do, as well as labling them, is antaganistic behavior.

Well, if I'm really on your ignore list, I don't see how this is an issue.

Jesus, Sting. Drop it already. It's ok to relent and let an issue drop without having said your piece. Irvine has asked you to leave him alone. It would be great if you could honor that request.

And for the record:

Discussing issues in this forum is not considered to be antaganistic.

It most certainly can be, depending of course on how you're discussing the issues.

Last edited:
All I know is that if Obama and Reid and Pelosi had had their way in Iraq, Saddam and his sons would still be raping women, gassing the Kurds, and proliferating weapons to our enemies.

Wow, you're 2 for 2 on really informed well thought out posts in FYM... :up:

Jesus, Sting. Drop it already. It's ok to relent and let an issue drop without having said your piece. Irvine has asked you to leave him alone.

I haven't done anything wrong. I simply responded to a post like everyone in here does and got attacked for it. There is nothing wrong with responding to a post on an issue that I either agree or disagree with.

There is something wrong with making false personal comments about other members of the forum.

If I'm indeed on anyone's ignore list, I don't see how any of this would be an issue.

It most certainly can be, depending of course on how you're discussing the issues.

Maybe, but there are far more things, that get posted, that don't involve issues, are comments about forum members, are clearly antagonistic, and are often ignored.

Strongbow rarely, if ever, posts smears or personal attacks. It's not Strongbow's fault that his (unpopular and lengthy) opinions are not well received here.

I hope he sticks around :D

Strongbow rarely, if ever, posts smears or personal attacks.
neither do I, but I can still be an annoying twerp too busy to repeat myself ad nauseum to even care what the rest of the world is on about

the bush legacy
sounds like a euphemism for an std
one leaves a burning sting that lasts longer though

I'd like to say I want to stay on the topic of the Bush legacy.

But I will add that any of us can choose to ignore or respond to any particular post at anytime.

This place works best when people feel free to express their opinions and they are able to do it in a way that others can at least understand why they have that point of view. The need to score points or approach every topic as if it is a debate contest, where one must prevail and vanquish the other, is just driving down the participation in these forums.

If someone will take the time to throw up a 5000 word thesis, setting up a number premises, to arrive at a conclusion that suits them.
Why is it a surprise that a 5000 word rebuttal will get a 15000 word counter argument, with rebuttals and additional premises to achieve the desired conclusion.

:hyper: I'm going to start saving up for the signed clothbound copy. I hope there are more poisoning stories in that one too

AP updated 9:45 a.m. ET, Tues., April 27, 2010

The publisher of former President George W. Bush's book "Decision Points" on Sunday set a Nov. 9 release date, unveiled its cover design and announced new details about it.

Bush has said he is not writing a traditional memoir but an account of key decisions in his life.

The cover features a photo of then-President Bush alone with his thoughts, standing in the Rose Garden Colonnade, wearing a dark suit and holding a briefing book, his head turned slightly from the camera.

A candid account?
According to Crown Publishers, "Decision Points" will offer "gripping, never-before-heard detail" on such historic events as the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the 2000 presidential election along with Bush's decision to quit drinking, his relationship with his family and other personal details.

"Since leaving the Oval Office, President Bush has given virtually no interviews or public speeches about his presidency," Crown said in a statement. "Instead, he has spent almost every day writing 'Decision Points,' a strikingly personal and candid account revealing how and why he made the defining decisions in his consequential presidency and personal life."

A publishing industry source familiar with the book said that Bush had completed a first draft and was editing the manuscript on a computer at his office in Dallas. A former White House speech writer, Chris Michel, is helping with research. The source was unsure whether Bush had compared notes with his wife, Laura Bush, whose memoir comes out May 4.

The source asked not to be identified because the book had not been released.

'Writes honestly and directly'
As president, Bush was known for not acknowledging errors, but Crown said that he "writes honestly and directly about his flaws and mistakes, as well as his historic achievements in reforming education, providing life-saving treatments for HIV/AIDS and malaria for millions of people in Africa, safeguarding the country from another terrorist attack, and other areas."

The book will have a list price of $35. One thousand signed, clothbound copies will be available, priced at $350 each.

The former president will promote "Decision Points" through a national tour, although Crown, a division of Random House Inc., said no details were available.

The cover features a photo of then-President Bush alone with his thoughts, standing in the Rose Garden Colonnade, wearing a dark suit and holding a briefing book, his head turned slightly from the camera, listening for the voice of God.

:crack:

Back
Top Bottom