Global Pandemic Part V: Enjoy a Corona while flying Delta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

if this is true - which it's looking more and more likely to be the case - it's obviously amazing news and, along with vaccines and treatments, could truly mark the end of this nightmare.

in the short term, though, everyone is going to have to do some adjusting on their restrictions - as it seems like this has the potential to do what the idiots last march said - cause unnecessary disruption for what's nothing more than a cold.

it's going to cause a bit of culture shock (in the blue parts of the country, at least) to now all of a sudden say "well actually it wouldn't be a bad thing if you caught THIS covid"

Last edited:
We need to come to some sort of agreement as to what it is we're trying to prevent,” says Céline Gounder, an infectious-disease expert at New York University. “Are we trying to prevent hospitalization? Are we trying to prevent death? Are we trying to prevent transmission?”

omicron is making this question more vital. what are we trying to do? trying to prevent transmission in a vaccinated society (for those parts of the country that actually believes in science) is a frustrating and increasingly unnecessary practice that is wearing down the people who have actually done the right thing through this mess. it's clear that a vaccinated population a) can still get get the virus, b) are infectious but not nearly as infectious as the unvaccinated due to lower viral loads, and c) highly unlikely to end up in the hospital.

we need to stop trying to protect the unvaccinated. they've made their choice. i hope they change their minds, but this isn't march 2020 anymore. you have a choice.

we need more vaccine mandates, and we need to stop giving free covid care to the willingly unvaccinated. anything else is a failure of leadership.

I think the next few weeks are going to be crazy in regards to number of cases. While the data coming out does point to this being a milder variant, the sheer number of people getting sick is not going to help our strained healthcare system. There's never any promise that when you get sick it'll only be a mild case, and what's always worried me about Covid19 is the long term effects. Though I am wondering if there's been any studies on Long Covid in vaccinated individuals?

We really need to be pushing the Boosters hard right now.

Assuming this thing washes over us / world within the next 3-4 months, and doesn't produce a harsher version, probably be done with this by summer....or at least have it down to some flu like levels.

Here in CA we are back to indoor mask mandate. I had forgotten the comfort of being able to mouth an obscenity while in the grocery store and no one has any idea ;)

There’s a hardcore portion of the population who will continue pissing their pants over any mandate and will either be forced out of places by underpaid hourly workers or worse. At the same time, we can’t be a nation that denies people care. I mean, we are, but we can’t actually advertise it! Seeing as the pocketbook is the only place you can make this hurt, it’s way past time for upping insurance premiums on the willfully unvaxxed.

A vaccine mandate for all domestic air travel would’ve made sense months ago but that’s not happening. Biden has no political capital left to spend and Buttigieg isn’t going to destroy his ‘24 or ‘28 chances on that kind of advocacy. Insurance companies, however, are already happy being the bad guy as long as the money rolls in. I say go for it. Make it ugly. Make it hurt. Fuck em.

So … I agree in principle, but the rest of us might need an ICU for other things. So it’s still worth trying to save these stupid fuckers from themselves as much as we can in order to keep beds open.
So the easy solution here, and I see the harshness in this and don't say it lightly... but the solution when it comes to overcrowding and lack of infrastructure and rationing of medical care is to send the willingly unvaccinated to the end of the list, and/or take them off a vent in favor of someone who has been vaccinated (or is unable to due to legitimate medical issues), whether that vaccinated person needs the vent for covid or for some other medical emergency.

It's not denying care - but if rationing of care is a necessity, as it has been in some hospitals, and likely will be again? Then vaccination status should move to the top or the decision making list.

I think the next few weeks are going to be crazy in regards to number of cases. While the data coming out does point to this being a milder variant, the sheer number of people getting sick is not going to help our strained healthcare system. There's never any promise that when you get sick it'll only be a mild case, and what's always worried me about Covid19 is the long term effects. Though I am wondering if there's been any studies on Long Covid in vaccinated individuals?

We really need to be pushing the Boosters hard right now.

Assuming this thing washes over us / world within the next 3-4 months, and doesn't produce a harsher version, probably be done with this by summer....or at least have it down to some flu like levels.

Here in CA we are back to indoor mask mandate. I had forgotten the comfort of being able to mouth an obscenity while in the grocery store and no one has any idea ;)
Omicron will not wash over the world on 3-4 months.

It's going to wash over the world in 3-4 weeks, if not sooner. Check the weekly rates from last week. This thing is a rocket ship as far as positivity goes.

Hospitalizations, however, remain low in comparison to other waves - even in South Africa where it started (and where vaccination rates are low)

This could be a great thing for all of us - but because we're so politicized with our reactions - in both directions mind you - our ability to adjust how we treat this will lag weeks behind. You're about to see a rash or cancelations and closures - most of which will ultimately turn out to have been unnecessary.

Last edited:
So the easy solution here, and I see the harshness in this and don't say it lightly... but the solution when it comes to overcrowding and lack of infrastructure and rationing of medical care is to send the willingly unvaccinated to the end of the list, and/or take them off a vent in favor of someone who has been vaccinated (or is unable to due to legitimate medical issues), whether that vaccinated person needs the vent for covid or for some other medical emergency.

It's not denying care - but if rationing of care is a necessity, as it has been in some hospitals, and likely will be again? Then vaccination status should move to the top or the decision making list.

Bingo.

Spending 3 weeks in a place where COVID has been pretty okay lately and then flying back to an Omicron wave in NYC is not fun.

I really appreciate living in a super liberal city where you have to show a vax card to do almost all fun indoor things and the citizens are easily terrified, so they wear masks in parking garages.

Got my 3rd dose on Wednesday. Thankfully it was the same as the first two - sore arm and tired.

Here, the positivity rate is at 12%, hospitalizations remain at 60 but vaccinations are on the rise once again.
Anything related to school, work and entertainment has been (thankfully) restricted to the vaccinated for the past few months.

Life goes on, because I’m exhausted and the idea of returning to lockdown or restrictions is just sickening. But keeping the mask handy.

Gotta try and leave the schools open. Ok if you close the bars etc

Dems will get slaughtered if schools close again.

Everyone's testing positive now. Shots and/or natural immunity seem to be keeping the newest variant a mild one.

Presidential speech coming tomorrow.

Got the booster today, three days after the six month mark for my second dose.

I started the pandemic in Toronto, where I got my first dose and where they have ongoing issues with vaccine supplies, but now that I'm stateside again, I'm still somewhat amazed at just how easy it is to get COVID vaccines in the U.S.

I'm still somewhat amazed at just how easy it is to get COVID vaccines in the U.S.

High supply and low demand in action.

Blood clotting news related to the J&J vaccine have travelled over here, is it still being manufactured or is it going the way of AZ?

I got the AZ vaccine when it was the only one rationed to my age group at the height of our recent winter wave. So pissed it apparently has little protection against Omicron. Thanks, ScoMo.

https://twitter.com/repweinstein/status/1473339210199404552?s=21

Where’s my Horse Paste!!!!

Unfortunately the last few decades have shown that Americans really don’t deserve the kinda freedoms and liberties that we yell about.

It’s time to start clamping down on all of this selfish, childish behavior and make changes

If you’re not vaccinated (and have zero legit reason not to be), then we really need to lower their place on the access list. Insurance companies should start bumping up premiums too. I can get denied or have higher premiums if I’m a smoker, so why not for denying a safe and effective treatment ?

Ditto for all the horrible behavior for flying. Time to start banning those who cause disruptions and violence.

Otherwise If there’s no consequence to these actions, we will continue to see it get worse and worse.

Blood clotting news related to the J&J vaccine have travelled over here, is it still being manufactured or is it going the way of AZ?

J&J is no longer encouraged. I'm not sure if it's completely out of play, but the emphasis here is definitely on Pfizer or Moderna.

High supply and low demand in action.

Their loss is my gain, I suppose!

Gotta try and leave the schools open. Ok if you close the bars etc

Dems will get slaughtered if schools close again.
No. It's not okay to close the bars.

Make the bars have vaccine mandates. Enough is enough.

We also need to adjust how we quarantine the vaccinated and boosted. The science is showing that the 10 day wait is not necessary. Viral shedding stops closer to 3-5 days for boosted persons in most cases.

We need to learn to live with this - and we need to stop punishing people who have done what they were supposed to do. If you're unvaccinated by choice at this point? Tough shit. You don't get to participate in a full society until you are.

Last edited:
No. It's not okay to close the bars.

Make the bars have vaccine mandates. Enough is enough.

We also need to adjust how we quarantine the vaccinated and boosted. The science is showing that the 10 day wait is not necessary. Viral shedding stops closer to 3-5 days for boosted persons in most cases.

We need to learn to live with this - and we need to stop punishing people who have done what they were supposed to do. If you're unvaccinated by choice at this point? Tough shit. You don't get to participate in a full society until you are.

What is keeping us from doing any of this ? I see Boston (and a few other cities) require proof of vaccination to get into nearly any business.

Is it not allowed to enforce on federal level ? Are we scared of the courts or worse are we scared of a minority of the population ?

Back
Top Bottom