U2 songs that use a big muff - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:00 PM
U2 songs that use a big muff

I just got a big muff pi pedal, and I was wondering what U2 songs use this pedal. The only one I could find so far was Elevation. Any others?

Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:00 PM
I'm not very familiar with the big muff pedal, although it seems like a great pedal and look forward on owning it sometime.

The only song I know Edge uses it, is Elevation too and due to my poor knowledge on this pedal, I'm not going to try and have a wild guess at other songs. But I'm going to check out more on this pedal.

EDIT: Maybe on the Magnificent intro?. It may be a combination of the Digitech Whammy with the Big muff.

Fernando- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando- View Post
I'm not very familiar with the big muff pedal, although it seems like a great pedal and look forward on owning it sometime.

The only song I know Edge uses it, is Elevation too and due to my poor knowledge on this pedal, I'm not going to try and have a wild guess at other songs. But I'm going to check out more on this pedal.

EDIT: Maybe on the Magnificent intro?. It may be a combination of the Digitech Whammy with the Big muff.
I haven't seen the Big Muff in Edge's rig during any of the awards shows or promo gigs. I didn't see it when they played "Magnificent" at Letterman, GMA or on the BBC rooftop bits.

I am not so sure it was used for "Elevation" either.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Acrobat

Elevation was Pod Mag intro is Death by Audio, Big Muff is on Love is Blind and maybe the outro solo to Acrobat...Possible Bullet with a FA1 in front of it at some point but I dont think he used it like that long..(Zoo era).

M
mick3b1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Even Better Than The Real Thing...maybe
theedgeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeu2 View Post
Even Better Than The Real Thing...maybe
I do not think that it was used for EBTTRT.

I believe that Mick is right about Bullet. It might have been used for a few others things. "Last Night On Earth" comes to mind but I've not confirmed this as of yet.

I think that it was in his rack starting around The Joshua Tree. I don't remember off the top of my head if it was there for 'Vertigo'. My first thought is that it wasn't and the 'Muff' tones, if used, were out of the Line 6 DM4 Pro (rack) Distortion modeler.

Dallas mentions such a combination (Big Muff and FA-1) in a book called "Live and Kicking: The Concert Industry in the 1990's".

Keep in mind, the book is copvering Popmart (1997/1998): [page 179]
"For the new songs, Edge uses a Lovetone Big Cheese overdrive which delivers a very broken sound, but for his really big distortion he still uses the smal FET pre-amp and his Electrop-Harmonix Big Muff."
Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Since it seems that Edge doesn't use a big muff very often, what songs could I maybe imitate the sound of with a big muff?
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Acrobat

well we know it was in his rig at some point but I have a couple diff muffs and I never could get what i thought was the right sound..Some songs to try would be maybe ABOY I think this is a PW2 but you could get close. Same with the "beauty inside of me" part on COBL. The solo on Love blindness has Muff sounds...Maybe with some eqing you could get close to Acrobat?? never tried it...I would look into an OD2 and or TS9/SD1 for alot of Edge drive sounds and use the Muff for certain parts only. OD2/TS9 and SD1 are cheap and ARE the pedals used in most of Edges overdrives. These days he relys on the DM4pro but alot of these are emulations of these pedals. The DM4pro has a "boost/comp" setting that is used alot..Great for those semi clean/dirty sounds like Streets and Bad. OR just crank a tube amp to get that breakup sound

Mick
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Mildly off the path here but to revisit Love Is Blindness...

Mick, didn't Edge use all four Vox amps (maybe the two Randalls too) on "Love Is Blindness? Not to say he wasn't using the Big Muff, very good chance he was... just remembering that bit that Dallas mentioned in an interview in Total Guitar or The Guitar Magazine around the time of Passengers.

I remember Dallas making some comment about how loud it was.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Acrobat

yes he was..The part im referring to is after the solo at the end he changes his tone and holds single notes sliding .Listen to 4:20 mark and on from there

Old 03-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Referring to my old post, but what was used for the dist. on EBTTRT? TS9?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeu2 View Post
Referring to my old post, but what was used for the dist. on EBTTRT? TS9?
Not the TS9. Edge didn't use the TS9 live until Elevation tour.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
Not the TS9. Edge didn't use the TS9 live until Elevation tour.
Oh, ok. Gotcha there. I'm no trying go off topic here, just a little curious. It seems he doesn't use the big muff all that much. I was just planning on getting one in fact.