U2 and Pevey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kate1

War Child
Hi im just wondering, does anyone from U2 have pevey maked guitars or amps, cos i heard that they were widely used in the 80's.

Plus i have an electric pevey guitar with matching amp, ive been told that they are worth a LOT of money!!!

I am going to learn how to play it some day!!

PS. Have i spelt it right, pevey or pevy :huh:

We have a Peavy Predator as well as a small Peavy Rage 158. I don't think they're worth too too much, because my brother got ours for $100. :huh:

As for U2, I think they use mostly Fender and Gibson, plus many other brands.

You can check out u2sound.com for info on all instruments and brands.

Spelling = Peavey.

I am pretty sure none of U2 have ever used Peavey amplification (except possibly at the very start of their career, when they were still getting the band off the ground, but if they did they obviously dumped it the first chance they got since I have never seen any reference to them using that brand). Edge has mainly used Roland, Marshall and Vox stuff over the years to my knowledge and Adam has used Ampeg, SWR and (now) Ashdown amongst others. I am 100% certain that neither Edge nor Adam have ever used a Peavey guitar on any tour though I suppose it is possible one or other of them might have one they bought when they were kids tucked away in a storage room somewhere... I doubt it though. Peavey guitars are good value for money and all that but unless I've missed something I don't recall Peavey ever releasing a guitar or bass that could be described as anything other than starter grade or maybe mid-range at best. Could be wrong of course. Peavey amplification on the other hand is generally well regarded and pro acts like the Cure use (or at least used) Peavey amps and cabs in the 80's and 90's and maybe today as well for all I know.

Is your Peavey guitar worth anything? Hard to say. Bear in mind that the asking price for a new instrument has little to do with the resale value of the same instrument. For example Gibson released a bass (I think it was the Ripper) in the late 70's that cost upwards of $2,000 at the time (e.g. adjusted for inflation etc. that would be around $4,000 or so now) which fetches only $400 these days. Perhaps Gibson should have named it the Stinker. Equally a early 50's Fender Tele might have sold for $200 or whatever when it was made but now would cost at least $5,000 (and probably much more, depending on condition). Like I say I'm no expert but I don't think Peavey are generally regarded as being top flight, pro quality instruments, and I certainly cannot think of one pro musician who uses one. If anyone can name a musician who does I'd be interested to hear about it. But as long as it plays nicely and sounds good does that really matter?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom