Is using fast delay to harmonize in a song considered "plagiarism" of U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
...even if the song's melody, chords and actual content are completely original?

Is it ok, for example, to compose a new song by using a Korg A3 preset which can also be tweaked to sound like Streets if you speed it up and change the rhythm, or a new tune which evolved from using the Vox AC-30 setting which you used earlier to get the "squeaky" sound from the end of Beautiful Day?

How much can technique imply plagiarism, even when the music itself is completely different?

I ask because I've written two new melodies which if someone listened to them, they might assume are from some Killers or U2 song they haven't heard yet due to the dotted 8th delay I've been using... Thoughts? I didn't intentionally try to make it sound like a rip off, I was just randomly messing around with my V-Amp 2 and Korg A3 in a chain and discovered a really nice sounding combo. I only realized how similar the sound was when my dad walked past and said "sounds like something U2 would play"

Thoughts?

I don't think you'll get sued for plagarism, but the reality is that if you sound too much like Edge, people will say 'meh, who does he think he is, Edge?'. And that can detract from you being able to make a niche for yourself, no matter how great the tune is...maybe don't feature it so prominently in the song..like instead of it being the 'main riff' just do it during the solo or some other part. Hope that helps..

mind you, lots of amateur guitarists look down on Edge's abilities anyway and deride him for depending too much on his effects.

If you go the same route you may find yourself in an even worse position, for being unoriginal AND leaning on tricks. Others may applaud you for figuring out this "trick". There are loads of guitarists devoting their life to figuring out exact delay settings that Edge uses.

As a musical technique it is a double edged sword: it'll help you construct harmonies AND establish rhythm. But it can also be dangerous to learn to lean on this crutch too much. It's by no means exclusive to the Edge (Gilmour and Petrucci come to mind) but those other guitar heroes rarely get the abuse from guitarists that the Edge receives.

I'd say: don't give a rat's ass what others think, play whatever you like. Edge is not going to sue you. Especially if you make it big: plagiarism is notoriously difficult to prove in court. :wink:

meh. tricks are hard to master anyway. Any schlub can play chords, knock out a few riffs. Mastery and truely effective usage of effects is a skill in and of itself.

It's not about how you play it, or how skillful you play it, it's about the sound that comes out of your amplifier. If you manage to achieve a great sound by triggering certain effects at the right time, that's just as genious as one playing a 150 notes per second solo while talking to his mother on the phone.

Back
Top Bottom