Guitar Pedal Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
I know there are alot of guitar pedal threads on how to get the edges sound and etc.. And I have read all of them, but I am still unsure of what pedal I should get? Should I get a multi effects pedal(bossme-50 etc..) or singe effect pedals? I can only spend around 400$, but what would be the best route for me, to get a couple single effect pedals or a multi effect pedal. My setup is
Guitars-
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Cort Niel Zaza- (by the way, this guitar is sweet)

Amp-
Vox Valvetronix AD60VT -and it came with a pedal to switch effects. ( I wish I wouldve bought a tube amp)

So please, I am looking for the best route here to get some edge like sounds for around 400$- 500$?

THanks

Basically, most importantly, you need a delay. I find the Boss Delays, the DD-3 or the DD-6 do a good job of getting that Edge-like sound not too expensively. He uses a big mad rackmounted unit, which is probably astronomically expensive. As for the multi-effect units, I have no experience myself; but i suspect they'd be fine, as long as they came with a half decent delay built in. The delay is the essential part though. Things like phasers/flangers and pitch shifters are used by the Edge, but they're not that important. Just get a delay, and you'll have loads of Edge-like fun. :edge: :)

i have a Korg G3 ($50), a Digitech RP200 ($100), and Boss SD-1 ($50), and i can get some pretty damn close Edge sounds. Here's my advice (actually it's what i would get if i had $500 to spend on effects) :

1) Get something KORG. I have a crappy G3 multi-effects and it really changes the tone to something else. It's hard to explain, but the clean tones are amazing with my Strat, sounds straight out of The Unforgettable Fire, i swear. Get something made by KORG. If you can find one, the ULTIMATE would be a Korg A3 multi-effects rack, but those are hard to find (try ebay).

2) Get a multi-effects pedal with switchable patches (like the RP200) so that you can have different patches with different delay times. the RP200 I have has great delay, and i hear the Boss ME-50 does too. You can use this pedal for the wahs, flange, phaser, and even some distortion.

5) Get a stand-alone DELAY pedal, and use it for the short delays only (200-300ms). Put it in the chain before the RP-200 or ME-50 and *bam* you've got the amazing stereo delay that Edge uses for Streets, COBL, and a ton of other songs.

4) Get an Ibanez TS-9 distortion pedal. Edge uses it for the really big-ass songs like The Fly and Bullet, and even for Beautiful Day.

5) Get a Boss SD-1 distortion for Edge's early sound, like in I Will Follow, Electric Co., Out of Control, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, etc. . .

Thanks packcrush, Ill check it out!

Disco,Wow, Thanks alot for the help, your the man, so now I know that I will for sure get something Korg. Which do you prefer Disco, the rp200 or the Bossme-50? Can you recommend me a stand alone Delay pedal, Im going to buy everything here that you listed, just need to know what stand alone Delay pedal I should get, and which to get out of the Bossme-50 or the rp200? Seriously thanks for the help!

macphisto23 said:
Thanks packcrush, Ill check it out!

Disco,Wow, Thanks alot for the help, your the man, so now I know that I will for sure get something Korg. Which do you prefer Disco, the rp200 or the Bossme-50? Can you recommend me a stand alone Delay pedal, Im going to buy everything here that you listed, just need to know what stand alone Delay pedal I should get, and which to get out of the Bossme-50 or the rp200? Seriously thanks for the help!

if you get a separate distortion pedal (preferably the Ibanez TS-9) then i'd say get the RP-200. it's easy to figure out and customize, but the distortions aren't that great, thats why you need a separate distortion pedal.

a good standard Delay pedal would be a boss dd-3, though really any delay pedal with 220 ms delay would work.

oh yeah, if you do get your hands on a Korg A3, you'll be happy to know that the original patch card for it has the 2 presets that Edge uses for The Fly on Elevation. use that along with the TS-9 and your Les Paul and you'll blow your fuckin walls off!

if you do get all this stuff then i'll certainly be glad to help you set it all up!

Disco, thanks for your help, Ill probably need some help setting it up when i get all the gear, thanks again.

Disco, am i going to need a seprate power adapter for each pedal that I buy? And am I going to need to buy anything else to connect all of them together? Or other then the pedals, what else am I going to need?
Thanks

Disco, hopefully you read this.
Im going to need some help setting up my pedals. I have the
Zoom GFX8(multi effects pedal), ds-1 distortion pedal. and the dd3 delay pedal. Im still looking to get something Korg, but I think I should figure out these pedals first before It gets way to complicated. So if you could help me set these pedals up, what goes where etc... I am clueless
Thanks

alright, you might wanna play around with the chain a little but, but i suggest that you go first to the dd3 pedal, set to short delay, then to the ds-1. then use the gfx8 for the rest of the effects but set the equalizer with the bass at around -8, the mid at 0, and the high at +8, to equalize the distortion pedal. then use all the delay and effects you want.

If it's not too late you might want to consider the Line 6 Pod Live. I can't speak to the actual sound of it, as I haven't yet had the chance to play around with it, but think about it this way.

- Edge used that DM4 (distortion modeler pedal) to create all the distortions for the new album. The distortions are all the same technology. (Read about it on the Line 6 website, they actual built him a one of a kind rack version for the tour that could be controlled by midi).

- It has all the amp modeling built in, could be good or bad depending on what you spent on your amp and if you like your amp's tonal quality. For most of these multi effects pedal, the best option is the most standard amp with no distiniguishing tone so that you can create your own.

- It has rhythmic delay built in with a tap tempo button. This means you can dial in your delays to get dotted 8th notes, quarter notes, triplets, etc. very easily. Edge has been spotted using of the delay modelers from Line 6 as well.

- The tap tempo button can also be used for chorus, tremolo and other modulating effects.

- It has individual controlls for each the stompboxes (distortion), amp modeling (switch between amp models), effects, and delay.

Some people really hate Line 6 stuff (usually high end guitar enthusiasts), but for the average person they get pretty damn close to the real sound. Obviously, some are better than others, but you can't beat it for value. It's only $400 and when you compare it on paper to the high end Boss, Digitech, and Vox units of comparable cost it kicks but. Like I said, I haven't actually played with it, but here's a quick note on the others. Boss GT-6 is really good, but the amp modeling is crap. This would be great if you have a good amp then you can just let the signal go through just the effects. But there is no rhythmic delay. There is tap tempo, but you can choose the kind of notes you wants to delay, then tap quarter notes. Doable, but not as easy. Digitech GNX, the really high end unit is a workstation, but I wouldn't want that. Their stuff sounds okay, but the amp modeling sucks and the some of their effects could use some help. The Vox multi effects pedal sounds really good. It has a tube in the unit to create real reverb and some good tones. Awesome buttons using the big metal push bottons instead of plastic like all the others, but this one is expensive (like $600 if I remember correctly).

And that concludes this portion of "Listen to a guy ramble on about something he thinks he knows about, but truly he's an idiot." :)

Disco and OffAxis thanks for the tips.
Hey I just looked into the Line 6 pod live, and it looks pretty sweet. I already bought my pedals so for now its too late, but if Im not sattisfied with this pedal, i will definatly sell it and look for something better. I havent tried my GFX8 out yet, because I bought a new amp, Traynor YC40WR(it should be here on Friday), and I sold my VOX, I hope this amp is as good as everyone sais it is!

Skip the multi efects stuff, not a lot "Edge" sounds in them. Maybe the Line 6 one, but I have never used it.

I would get the following:

Korg SDD-2000 delay (rack mount) - $200 used
Korg A3 (rack mount) - $150 used
Ibanez TS-9 - $50 used
Boss SD-1 - $30 used
Boss OD-2 - $75 used

A little over $400 but you will get 90% of Edge tones in those 5 units.

:wink:

chrisjnyc said:
Skip the multi efects stuff, not a lot "Edge" sounds in them. Maybe the Line 6 one, but I have never used it.

Ibanez TS-9 - $50 used
Boss SD-1 - $30 used
Boss OD-2 - $75 used

:wink:

I agree this a good list, but you then have to figure out a way to operate the SDD 2000 and A3 cheaply, otherwise you're changing effect with your fingers. Also you need to check your math, it would be $505. I don't think you need all those OD pedals. I would suggest getting one vintage version of the one that would work best with the specific set up.

OffAxis said:

Ibanez TS-9 - $50 used
Boss SD-1 - $30 used
Boss OD-2 - $75 used

I agree with most of the stuff. TS-9 and SD-1 can be be a substitute of each other so it's not really necessary to have both, how Edge did it in the old days up to pop, he used a SD-1 combined with a GE-7.

You really don't need a controller if you're going to play at home or even on the road, you can just turn the switch on stage or whatever..it might not look the most professional, but it'll save you a ton of money.

if you want a pedal delay, go for the Electro Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe, it's what Edge used in the early days before he got a Korg SDD-3000 during Unforgettable Fire, it won't give you the longer delays like Bad, or Sometimes You Can't Make It, but you can emulate the short delays like streets, i will follow, electric co, out of control, gloria, city of blinding lights....etc. it also has a chorus and vibrato built in.

I used to have a Valvetronix 120VT for the AC-30TB simulator which works great for the money. you probably won't need something that loud, so go for the 60VT model.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if either the TS-7 or the DigiTech Bad Monkey are any good? I don't have enough money to get the TS-9, so I'm looking at the cheaper versions. If they sound like crap I'll hold out for the TS-9 though, I love it's sound :drool:

Also, instead of a GE-7, you can get a Danelectro Fish and Chips equalizer.

Dirt cheap, and it sounds as good as the GE-7 (if not better). It's only cheap because it's plastic. Don't stomp on it with your steel-toed boots, but otherwise it'll hold up fine to regular playing.

Voxclone said:
Also, instead of a GE-7, you can get a Danelectro Fish and Chips equalizer.

Dirt cheap, and it sounds as good as the GE-7 (if not better). It's only cheap because it's plastic. Don't stomp on it with your steel-toed boots, but otherwise it'll hold up fine to regular playing.

hey, i was wondering for an EQ that was cheaper than the ge-7, thanks!

I was jw if all you guys were in bands? Is it lame for me to buy a delay pedal just to get Edge's sounds to please myself alone in my bedroom on a little practice amp? Lol.

Back
Top Bottom