Edge's echo peddle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge uses at least two different delay boxes: An analog echo from Electro-Harmonix who's model name escapes me at the moment and a rack mount unit build by Korg...among others I'm sure. If you're looking for ONE box to do everything the Edge does, look no further than the Line 6 DL-4. Of course it's $250 but well worth it if you are big into delays.

The older songs, he used an Electro Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe. For most everything since UF, he has used the Korg SDD-2000 and Korg SDD-3000, both of which are out of production. He now only uses the SDD-3000.

you may want to check out the Yahoo u2 sound group and also the website www.u2sound.com

these places are great for you guitarists- you can find the effects and their settings on these sites.

Hey mirrorball- where in DC are you from? I'm in NW DC

Also check the U2 Recording group on Yahoo (U2 Sound is great if you want to know exactly what equipment is used, U2 Recording is good for that and great for alternative equipment too)

Dorian .. I also live in NW DC, in the Adams Morgan, Woodley area. Are you on the DC List?

-- and who do I talk to do get a mirrorball icon instituted :)

I live pretty close to you then, I live in Cleveland Park.

I don't know which DC list you're talking about- let me know.

and as for the mirrorball- on page 5 of the avatars there are two mirrorballs to chose from. Just click on the "user cp" button at the top of the page and then click on "change options". From there you can select and avatar.

If you mean icon as in a "smilie" then I don't know

Last edited:
The Edge actually uses (used) a few different delays. In the studio and select live songs, he uses a Korg SDD-3000. He likes the warmth of the preamp stage of this unit and often runs his signal through the Korg just for the gain and warmth. Daniel Lanois uses this unit in the same manner - bypassing the dealy and just using the preamp stage. Most of his delays in a live setting come from a triplet of T.C. Electronic 2290 delays. The 2290's are a bit more sterile sounding and not nearly as warm as the Korg. If you are trying get the Edge sound on a budget, get the Korg SDD-2000 (as many are cashing on the Edge hype and are charging upwards of $700 for the 3000). It does not have the filters, wave options, or hotter output that the 3000 has, but it does have an option to process at a lower sampling rate so the sound is more warm and "analog". It is the best alternative to the 3000, and it's midi switchable with 99 presets. The SDD-3000 only has 10 presets, hence the use of the 2290's in a live setting where presets need to be called up instantly. You can find a SDD-2000 for around $175 or so, and is a better alternative to the Memory Man Deluxe. The Memory Man tops out the delay time at 500 ms or so, and has to be manually changed for each song (watch Red Rocks and you can see the Edge fooling with the knobs to "dial in" the correct time).

He also uses the AMS 15-80S delay in his live rack, particularly in combination with an Eventide Harmonizer for a "shimmer" sound. (Both items run for over $1,000)

But as mentioned previously, if you're looking for a good Edge sound on a budget, pick up a Korg SDD-2000 for about $175-$200.

Last edited:
AughrimFurey said:
......is a better alternative to the Memory Man Deluxe. The Memory Man tops out the delay time at 500 ms or so, and has to be manually changed for each song (watch Red Rocks and you can see the Edge fooling with the knobs to "dial in" the correct time).

AughrimFurey- you suck, you can't play guitar. You're such a poser :tongue:

Hey give me a call when you're new equipment arrives. I'm interested to see how it sounds.

All you need to do now is get El Brandon, or one of those two chicks you're living with, to pick up the drums and we're all set.

Back
Top Bottom