Early-Era Edge Gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Early-Era Edge Gear

Here's a cool article from 1982 with Edge talking about his gear. Heaven knows it was a smaller list and less to talk about back then.

I wonder if Dallas ever hopes for a return to the early days - A bit of Retro -- a few guitars and stompboxes. Heaven knows, Steve Raines had it easy compared to what Dallas has to maintain and look after.

Anywho... here's the article from U2 Magazine which was the predecessor to Propaganda.

U2 Magazine No. 3 - May 1982

There aren't too many players who can honestly be said to have developed their own style on an instrument as cliché-ridden as the electric guitar, but undoubtedly one such musician is the Edge. In the five years since the band's inception, he has steadily evolved a unique approach that owes absolutely nothing to anyone, and indeed, I can't think of anybody who sounds remotely like him.

So how did he manage to come up with his own sound in the first place? Obviously there were several factors, mainly connected with the way the band got together, as the Edge explains.

"I suppose the first link in the chain was a visit to the local jumble sale where I purchased a guitar for a pound. That was my first instrument. It was an acoustic guitar and me and my elder brother Dick both played it, plonking away, all very rudimentary stuff, open chords and all that.

"The next stage was a note on the schoolboard to the effect that 'Larry had wasted a lot of money on drums and was interested in finding other people to waste money on guitars' and stuff like that, so we all met in his kitchen one day. I think between us there was one kit of drums, one bass without amp ('I had a purple Marshall amp with a tatty little speaker that used to blow up every time I wound it up,' protested Adam), one borrowed electric guitar and a borrowed amplifier. It was like first day in the army, everyone was knocked into shape and telling everyone else what to do. It was Larry's kitchen so he was sort of in charge, but he was only really interested in playing drums, so eventually it winnowed down from four lead guitarists to three, then two, then Bono started to concentrate fully on vocals, so it developed from there.

"We never really got into it because we wanted to make a living. It certainly didn't enter my head at that stage. I may have been naïve but I'm not that stupid. I think maybe a year later it suddenly dawned on us that actually there wasn't such a gulf of musical ability or talent between the stage we were at and the stage that most bands on television and with recording deals were at, so we decided then that we would go for it."

Gigs followed and the band began to get a following in Dublin. Eventually Bono packed his bag and took a trip to London with his girlfriend, calling round to music papers and talking to people about U2.

"We got a bit of interest going," recalled Edge, "and during that six month stage we were talking to yourself."

This was in reference to the period in September '79 when I, as an EMI A&R man, went to Dublin to see them and decided there and then that this was the best new band around and must be signed immediately. Sadly I was alone in this opinion, and to my and the band's intense disappointment the deal was unceremoniously booted out.

"That was a devastating period in our lives, as you can well imagine, but we rebounded quite well, and eventually we came and did a small London tour, and off the back of that and the subsequent Irish tour, we signed to Island Records about seven months later.

"Much earlier on we tried to do cover versions of things, but to be honest we were so bad at working out stuff that we just had to give it up and write our own songs, so by the time we came to realise there were other bands doing new things it was too late, because we already had our own style of writing. We just played together and things came out. We always try to do things differently, we never accept the normal, so it was mainly trial and error. I like a nice ringing sound on guitar, and most of my chords I find two strings and make them ring the same note, so it's almost like a 12-string sound. So for E I might play a B, E, E and B and make it ring. It works very well with the Gibson Explorer. It's funny because the bass end of the Explorer was so awful that I used to stay away from the low strings, and a lot of the chords I played were very trebly, on the first four, or even three strings. I discovered that through using this one area of the fretboard I was developing a very stylised way of doing something that someone else would play in a normal way."

Mention of the Explorer led us naturally to the subject of the Edge's equipment, which is typically unusual. His setup is basically solid guitar into a small case of effects and from there to two Vox AC30s. He uses three guitars onstage these days, but when I first saw him he was using the Explorer only. I wondered why he had chosen this particular guitar at the time.

"I think it's the most distinctive of my guitars. It seems that the body shape affects the sound somehow. It's a very vibrant guitar with lots of treble. I had a Strat what I wasn't that pleased with in those days, and when I was in New York with my parents, I went to some stores to look around. I picked up this secondhand Explorer and played around on it for a while. It was just so naturally good, and it felt right, so I bought it. It was quite cheap as well, about 450 dollars. A lot of people look at it and think it's one of the originals (under 100 of these were made in 1958 and they are very rare) but it's one of the '76 limited edition reissue models.

"I used it for the first album, and up until the recording of the October album, but I seem to use another Strat that I bought more and more, so I think I'll probably end up using the Strat for half the show and the Explorer for the rest.

"I dont have any vintage guitars, apart from the newest addition to the collection, a lap steel, circa 1940, by Epiphone. It's art deco, really weird. If anyone knows what a lap steel is like, it's just like a square thing, not like a guitar at all. It's black, with inlays in some other sort of wood, also black. I got it in the States, in Nashville. I'm going to be messing about with it a lot.

"I'm very interested in this lap steel because it's something that hasn't been done before in this context. What we want to do is break new ground musically all the time, whether through guitars or whatever. Like you'll notice the piano is being used a lot now. I like the texture of the piano, and I learnt to play it for the album. I think probably the same thing will happen with the lap steel.

"I don't think a lot of people realise the musical benefit harmonics can give to a song. I just developed that a bit and brought the harmonics more to the foreground. Some of our songs use harmonics as the main guitar part."

Listening to clips / seeing the you tube clips from 1980-1982 shows, it's interesting to see that it's all pretty much:

Gibson Explorer, Fender Stratocaster, some Gibson Sonex (late 1981-1982) and some Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Those played with (2) EH Dlx Memory Man delays, MXR Dyna Comp (2) Vox AC-30 amps

For War, it went to Explorer, Stratocaster and Washburn Woodstock Festival acoustic.

Pretty much the same effects and amp setup, adding the Roland JC120 and the Korg SDD-3000 delay. Edge mentioned he'd gotten the SDD-3000 during the War tour.

There is rumour that Edge used a Guyatone Zoom distortion during part of the October tour. I've not heard that confirmed by an official source. There are a few that have made clones of this pedal. Psionic Audio was one. I have one of the first run of that pedal, it has the "Boy" album cover on it.

But other than that, it was all guitar, delay, some compression and amp. In that, he also used to run the guitar volumes less than full. In that, he could bump up the volume on the guitar to get a bit of overdrive.

I know this is an old thread, but I got to bring this up. I think one very important thing is been missing every time, when people talk about Edge's early-era gear. My question is, what is the Roland JC-120 (the one under the Vox) really for? I think this is very important to know to really understand Edge's sound back then, 'cause there are many tricks you can do with delay and two amps.

For a long time I thought that the JC-120 was there to get a cleaner sound to be mixed in with the "dirtier" sounding Vox but maybe that wasn't the case. At least, I think that the JC-120 was not controlled by the A/B box, 'cause the A/B was for the effects. ...unless the JC-120 was fed through the dry output of one of the two Memory Man ehcos or something like that. I've read that Edge used to use multiple amps simultaneously in recording situation, so I wonder if he was doing the same thing live?

Or could it be, that the JC-120 was just for the Washburn Festival acoustic? If that's true, it's all very simple. In that case it was just one Vox and nothing else for his electric guitars and effects.

Is it possible that in all U2's live recordings from the early 80's, all we hear (well, for the most of the time) is just one Vox?

Could have been for the piano. Or the piano and Washburn. Uncertain.

But I don't think it is any 'secret' to any of the early tones. Most of that was Explorer/Strat > DynaComp > couple of EH DMM's > Vox.

Some of the push to the amp came from the EH DMM. Some of it came from using the volume knob on the guitar to boost the signal.

In the Red Rocks dvd the sound is occasionally very distorted and sustaining but in the same time still very clear, airy and dynamic.

A DynaComp and DMMs don't deliver that combination by themselves. So it must be the Vox. But if an AC30 gets really hard pushed, yes it gets very distorted but not that clear IMO. That's why I thought there was a cleaner sound involved at the same time with a sustaining distortion.

Actually, the other thing I'm still thinking is all the sustain Edge gets from the Vox. There was a DynaComp and a GZ34 sag but I still wonder if he really got all the sustaining distortion without a distortion box.

But don't get me wrong, I still think that you might be right. But even then there still is a little secret and it is the Vox. A really special one.

In 1987 Guitar World interview Edge said that "For a while I was toying with stereo amplifiers onstage, but that became too much of a headache. I know a lot of players have a dry amp and then have the effects-out from another amplifier. Somehow I've always subscribed to the idea of a mono amp, no matter if I'm playing Wembley Stadium or wherever."

It would be interesting to know what period he is referring to, when he talks about the stereo amplifiers.

On War tour, there were three JC-120 amps on the stage. I'm pretty sure the one next to the drums was for Bono's guitar.

It's very likely that one of the three JC-120 amps was used for the piano. The piano setup would have been pretty much the same on the following The Unforgettable Fire tour too, because according to the Guitar Player interview in 1985, the piano was usually played through an Electro-Harmonix Memory Man echo, which was plugged into the JC-120.

But I think it was always the JC-120 located right next to the piano. That one can't be seen so well during the concerts but it's there. If we think this from Edge's point of view, wouldn't he want the JC-120 used for the piano and the lap steel to be located near the instruments, so he could tweak his sounds and hear the instruments properly when he is playing?

So, if I dare to make a guess... Edge used this same JC-120 (located right next to the piano and the lap steel) for the both, piano and lap steel.

If I'm on the right track, the third JC-120 (in front of the Vox) was not for the piano nor the lap steel.

Well, if we listen to the songs Party Girl and Seconds on the Red Rocks dvd, the sound of the Washburn acoustic could easily be from the JC-120. At least, plugging the Wasburn acoustic straight to the fully cranked AC30 used for the electric guitar doesn't seem like a great idea to me (because all the feedback, noise, unwanted distortion etc.).

According to the Guitar Player interview in 1985, on The Unforgettable Fire tour Edge would plug his Washburn Festival amplified acoustic into a Vox AC30 combo amp with no effects. This could refer to the "new" AC30 that had recently replaced the JC-120 in front of the main Vox.

Of course, the Washburn could have also been plugged straight to the main Vox but then the amp itself couldn't have been fully cranked.

The Guyatone Zoom is a bit of a one trick pony. And it doesn't do that trick that well. Not a horrible pedal but there are far better / versatile pedals.

Probably why if it was in the rig, it wasn't in it long.

Back
Top Bottom