2 Delays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wesiderider

Babyface
Hey, I have a podxt live and I know that most U2 songs have two delays in them. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the pod xts had any bright ideas on making two delay times.

I haven't tried this but doesn't the manual say that you should run them parallel? I think you can run a left and right channel, with one being the basic delay rate and settings and the other a variation of that. It should be in the manual.

i always thought Edge's delays were in series, so that the delay repeats would bounce off each other. i suppose he runs some delays in series.

Muad'zin said:
I haven't tried this but doesn't the manual say that you should run them parallel? I think you can run a left and right channel, with one being the basic delay rate and settings and the other a variation of that. It should be in the manual.

Good idea, luckily line 6 has a good website cuz guitar center lost my manual but they gave me a deal at least. anyways they have a section for stereo delay and who do they use as an example? none other than the edge.

The trick for the POD XT Live is to use either the Stereo Delay or Ping Pong settings.

Stereo Delay has the advantage that you can set the feedback for each channel individually.

Ping Pong has the advantage that you can adjust the stereo separation.

(Note that for both, the delay must be placed in the post-amp position of the effects chain.)

The key is to adjust the Offset so that the timing of the 2 delays are correct with respect to each other. For example, for Streets, the long delay is 531 ms and the short delay is 350 ms. 350 / 531 = 2/3. Therefore, set the offset to 67%. Or, for ISHFWLF, the long delay is a 3/8 note, and the short delay is a 1/8 note. 1/8 / 3/8 = 1/3. So , the offset is 33%.

Here are a few of my settings:
T = time, O = offset, FL = feedback L, FR = feedback R, M = mix

Streets - T 531, O 67, FL 9, FR 35, M 46
Pride - T 3/8, O 0, FL 0, FR 30, M 60
ISHFWLF - T 3/8, O 33, FL 0, FR 40, M 46

For Bad and most other songs there is only one audible delay - I use the setting "Analog w/ Mod"
Bad - T 3/8, F 15, Modspd 54, Depth 59, M 45

You can find a few of my patches on customtone by searching for "Zigman"

Last edited:
Yes, there is a second delay, but it is much less audible. Since the POD XT Live cannot adjust the volume of each delay relative to each other, and since I find that the song sounds very "bad" (no pun intended) when the 2 delays are the same volume, I only use the louder one.

Back
Top Bottom