The "Old U2" in SOI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
I am sure we all remember these comments from Adam:

If what Clayton says is true, then the new U2 record will arrive sometime in early 2014. Clayton described the sound as a more mature twist on the band’s old sound. “I think it’s a bit of a return to U2 of old, but with the maturity, if you like, of the U2 of the last 10 years,” he said. “It’s a combination of those two things and it’s a really interesting hybrid.”

Looks to me the comments made by the band in the run up to the release were pretty accurate this time. I think Bono and Edge had similar quotes.

Really like what they did before SOI- they either shut up entirely or said very little but what they said turned out to be accurate.

Anyways, where do we hear the "Old U2" in SOI? (Leaving aside the obvious thematic references).

I'll start:

-This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now- Clear post punk/new wave U2. Right back to 1983, specifically 2 Hearts. Still sounds modern, though.

-Raised by Wolves- Atmosphere evokes October/War. Intensity evokes Bad, Bullet and Exit. Bono, at least to me, sounds a lot like his early days in the "I don't believe" parts as well as in the chorus. And of course, there's the straight out of "War" subject matter.

-Volcano- An update on the Surrender/Red Light "Taxi Driver" vibe from "War." The female voices (la, la, la or whatever they're saying before the Glastonbury riff) reminds me of Seconds. The verses, to me, sound like they could've been written in 1983 and added on to Surrender or Red Light.

-Iris- Bono's voice sounds very UF/JT era throughout. The lower register verses especially. Adam, Larry and Edge sound more like they did in 1984 than they have since.

I guess "Old U2" can be defined as 1980-1984. Anyone can feel free to disagree or suggest another year, but that's what I'll go with.

So the following are, I guess, "kind of old U2."

-California- Not quite "old U2" but 1987 was still a while ago, haha! I get a big time In God's Country vibe here.

-Every Breaking Wave- WOWY and JT b side vibe.

-Song for Someone- Very All I Want Is You to my ears. I even think Bono sounds a bit like he did in 1988 in this song.

Cedarwood Road with acoustic guitars layered over the main riff is a "Hello, War" moment on the album. Think you covered the other bits.

Iris is straight out of '84. Don't think I've heard that guitar tone from Edge that pronounced since maybe Heartland, and even then he was moving away from it towards more Achtung style riffs. (God Part II)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I agree with you, it's mostly a 81-85 "softer U2" with modern sounds as well.
Bono's voice on Iris and Raised by Wolves sounds very young and mid-80's.

A great album, really, after 1 month I like it more than after 1 week.
AB had the same effect on me.....even felt uncomfortable listening to it in the beginning and it ended up (with the live experience of ZOO TV) being by far my favourite album!

SOI will translate so well live, I can't wait!

I am sure we all remember these comments from Adam:

Looks to me the comments made by the band in the run up to the release were pretty accurate this time. I think Bono and Edge had similar quotes.

Really like what they did before SOI- they either shut up entirely or said very little but what they said turned out to be accurate.

Anyways, where do we hear the "Old U2" in SOI? (Leaving aside the obvious thematic references).

I'll start:

-This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now- Clear post punk/new wave U2. Right back to 1983, specifically 2 Hearts. Still sounds modern, though.

-Raised by Wolves- Atmosphere evokes October/War. Intensity evokes Bad, Bullet and Exit. Bono, at least to me, sounds a lot like his early days in the "I don't believe" parts as well as in the chorus. And of course, there's the straight out of "War" subject matter.

-Volcano- An update on the Surrender/Red Light "Taxi Driver" vibe from "War." The female voices (la, la, la or whatever they're saying before the Glastonbury riff) reminds me of Seconds. The verses, to me, sound like they could've been written in 1983 and added on to Surrender or Red Light.

-Iris- Bono's voice sounds very UF/JT era throughout. The lower register verses especially. Adam, Larry and Edge sound more like they did in 1984 than they have since.

I guess "Old U2" can be defined as 1980-1984. Anyone can feel free to disagree or suggest another year, but that's what I'll go with.

So the following are, I guess, "kind of old U2."

-California- Not quite "old U2" but 1987 was still a while ago, haha! I get a big time In God's Country vibe here.

-Every Breaking Wave- WOWY and JT b side vibe.

-Song for Someone- Very All I Want Is You to my ears. I even think Bono sounds a bit like he did in 1988 in this song.

:up::applaud:

Very good observations

Obviously Edge's guitar in Iris.

And Bono's howling delivery "Raised by wolves" chorus.

Other than that, don't see it.

Climax of iris is reminiscent of Streets, particularly the buildup around "don't fear the world/it isn't there". The chorus is very TUFish.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom