Steve Averill Q & A - 2 seperate Albums and re-issue of the complete backcatalogue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok... U2 is great and all but come on. They're not sent from God, and they're not the end all of emotive music. For me, yeah, generally they're music is the best, but there are a lot of bands who have some songs that are just as emotionaly moving to me. There's a ton of stuff out there.

U2 certainly have a gift to write spectacular music, I just wish they'd start using it again.

Last edited:
You all know I'm not the biggest fan of Passengers, but I like HTDAAB even less.

This Eno/Lanois project sounds awesome though. They always work best with U2 when they're together. Should be awesome.

Not only do I get extremely excited about hearing about anything that U2 is working on, I lately also tend to get excited about anything Eno is working on or has worked on in the past (in particular, his producing career and not his solo works).

Here's what I'm hoping happened: U2 works with Eno/Lanois on undetermined project. Many songs are written. 2 projects emerge. One U2/Eno/Lanois project. The other a strictly U2 project stemming from songs and ideas written during Eno/Lanois sessions. Album is produced by U2, themselves (with some credit being handed to Eno/Lanois, but mostly just for guest instruments and the like).

shart1780 said:
Ok... U2 is great and all but come on. They're not sent from God, and they're not the end all of emotive music. For me, yeah, generally they're music is the best, but there are a lot of bands who have some songs that are just as emotionaly moving to me. There's a ton of stuff out there.

it's not that U2 is the only band that is emotional, but that the kinds of emotions that they evoke are totally different from anyone else.

MrBrau1 said:

LOL

I'm picturing someone caught in a thunderstorm saying "I'd wish it would rain."

LOL

No, I think it's far closer to someone standing in the middle of the Great Sandy Desert saying "I wish it would rain".

But hey, you actually think In A Little While is listenable.

Re: Steve Averill Q & A: 2 separate Albums and re-issue of the complete backcatalogue

light said:
Source: http://www.zootopia.de/

Steve Averill said at the Q & A U2 graphics exhibition called 'Stealing Hearts from a Traveling Show'
that U2 have two projects at the moment. A project similar to the Passengers that won't be a U2 album where Eno and Lanois will be equal collaborators and a new full U2 project.

Steve also said he has to deliver the new JT 20th Anniversary Edition designs by Tuesday. He also went on to say that he is looking forward to re-visiting all of the back catalogue albums for future re-issues.

HOLY &^*&^%*&%#*&%*%

How did I miss this??? :shocked: I was so absorbed in Radiohead, I forgot that something cool could happen in the world of U2! :sad:

Actually, I think In A Little While is easily one of their 3 or 4 best efforts this decade and a great example of them actually able to do easy, breezy pop very, very well. It's unique (for them), creative, has a real warmth and still shows off some decent musicianship. Bono's lyrics are bang on - simple and sweet and never resort to the Bono-cliche's so common in virtually every 00s song. Edge is great. It's a good song.

The clunkers are the labourious sounding ones, like there's an army of people working over an Ikea instruction booklet for the Stadiem Klassik. It looks okay on it's own and is functional in all the right places, but stand it next to a unique boutique designer piece and it just looks like cheap shit. You know how on some U2 tracks you can hear faint studio instructions or count downs somewhere in the background? I swear on Miracle Drug you can hear someone say "OK, we're at the end of the very quiet bit, and according to this booklet we need to add an Edge guitar explosion here, can anyone find it? I think I saw it behind that 50 pack of 'Soul' lyrics. And where the fuck did I put the Allen Key?"

MrBrau1 said:

LOL

I'm picturing someone caught in a thunderstorm saying "I'd wish it would rain."

LOL

OK, now I have AC/DC in my head: Thunderstruck yeah yeah yeah .

I wonder what the reason is for not calling the album "U2" and not simply adding Eno and Lanois in the "Music by" liner notes. On Passengers, it was because Eno was, effectively, in charge of the whole album, but here they wrote the songs together.

Irvine511 said:

it's not that U2 is the only band that is emotional, but that the kinds of emotions that they evoke are totally different from anyone else.

Yes so true, U2 is a very powerful band, the emotions they bring are unexplainable....I think god send them!!!!:wink:

Yes.

Anyone have a feeling we're due for a let down ? I mean, since they made it big with JT, I don't think they ever manged to have 3 sucessful, acclaimed albums in a row. Based on probability and logic alone, the streak has to end some time...

Maybe this Morocco/Eno/Lanois project "Passengers part II" is the band testing the waters for another reinvention. If the general consensus from the fans will be positive, that may influence the new album, no ?

Last edited:
Axver said:

No, I think it's far closer to someone standing in the middle of the Great Sandy Desert saying "I wish it would rain".

said the prog rock fan.

It's a great big world of music out there Ax. When you get over 12 minute guitar solos, drop me a line. We'll learn ya.

shart1780 said:
Ok... U2 is great and all but come on. They're not sent from God,...
I meant that their unique musical ability is a gift from God, not that God "sent" them.

On the other hand, I would say that having four guys grow up together in a small country without formal music training who would go on to become one of the greatest bands in history with the ability to inspire people towards love, good works, and making a connection with God is quite possibly more than just a random event...

---------------------------------------------------------------

The clunkers are the labourious sounding ones, like there's an army of people working over an Ikea instruction booklet for the Stadiem Klassik. It looks okay on it's own and is functional in all the right places, but stand it next to a unique boutique designer piece and it just looks like cheap shit. You know how on some U2 tracks you can hear faint studio instructions or count downs somewhere in the background? I swear on Miracle Drug you can hear someone say "OK, we're at the end of the very quiet bit, and according to this booklet we need to add an Edge guitar explosion here, can anyone find it? I think I saw it behind that 50 pack of 'Soul' lyrics. And where the fuck did I put the Allen Key?"

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Earnie, I just spit out some morning coffee! Anyhow, you're a gifted writer and more importantly you offer thoughtful opinions. I always look forward to reading your posts.

MrBrau1 said:

said the prog rock fan.

It's a great big world of music out there Ax. When you get over 12 minute guitar solos, drop me a line. We'll learn ya.

I love how you have me pigeonholed when the prog I listen to is a clear minority amongst my overall habits. I've been listening to far, far more Dunedin Sound these days. In fact, last time you visited my last.fm, had you bothered to look at my charts rather than flame me, you would've noticed only 5 of my top 20 listened bands are prog.

But you never really let facts or common sense get in the way of mouthing off. You don't even really seem to have a good grasp on what prog is either. Just because you don't have the patience to appreciate how a musician's talent can be used to artistic effect doesn't mean it's crap.

Axver said:

I love how you have me pigeonholed when the prog I listen to is a clear minority amongst my overall habits. I've been listening to far, far more Dunedin Sound these days. In fact, last time you visited my last.fm, had you bothered to look at my charts rather than flame me, you would've noticed only 5 of my top 20 listened bands are prog.

But you never really let facts or common sense get in the way of mouthing off. You don't even really seem to have a good grasp on what prog is either. Just because you don't have the patience to appreciate how a musician's talent can be used to artistic effect doesn't mean it's crap.

adorable. Just adorable.

MrBrau1 said:

adorable. Just adorable.

Your condescending attitude is made all the more hilarious by the fact it has no basis in any kind of reality.

You really are the master of total bullshit in these parts. I applaud you.

MrBrau1 said:

adorable. Just adorable.

Dude, I like a lot of your posts and am mostly glad you are back, but if you are looking to get completely banned, you're on the right path.

Is progressive music one of the genres that Axver listens to? Obviously, but if you've noticed anything, you would know how much other stuff he likes. Crowded House is an obvious one, for example. I sure as hell don't think they are prog, do you?

Axver said:

Your condescending attitude is made all the more hilarious by the fact it has no basis in any kind of reality.

You really are the master of total bullshit in these parts. I applaud you.

It seems like writing more then a sentence to respond to anything Brau says is a waste, because he'll either ignore it or give a two or three word response.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight.

Ax gives me the business.

Axver said:

which I give right back to him.

MrBrau1 said:

said the prog rock fan.

and I should be banned?

Mr. Brau you're basically on probation. I didnt let you back here so you can repeat the same shit over again. You're not going to be warned over and over like before, you're just going to be banned and that's it. Please dont make me sorry I let you back.

And Axver you're not totally innocent either.

Sicy said:
Mr. Brau you're basically on probation. I didnt let you back here so you can repeat the same shit over again. You're not going to be warned over and over like before, you're just going to be banned and that's it. Please dont make me sorry I let you back.

And Axver you're not totally innocent either.

ok.

Re: Steve Averill Q & A: 2 separate Albums and re-issue of the complete backcatalogue

light said:
Source: http://www.zootopia.de/

Steve Averill said at the Q & A U2 graphics exhibition called 'Stealing Hearts from a Traveling Show'
that U2 have two projects at the moment. A project similar to the Passengers that won't be a U2 album where Eno and Lanois will be equal collaborators and a new full U2 project.

Steve also said he has to deliver the new JT 20th Anniversary Edition designs by Tuesday. He also went on to say that he is looking forward to re-visiting all of the back catalogue albums for future re-issues.
Great, i hope they're going to invite guests on this Passengers 2.

Sicy said:

I'm totally confused; why should Brau get a warning for what he said?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think it's great. It reminds me of 95.....
It means they will evolve somehow and take with them some experimentations or new sounds to the next album and tour....

Re: Re: Steve Averill Q & A: 2 separate Albums and re-issue of the complete backcatal

guill said:

Great, i hope they're going to invite guests on this Passengers 2.

If the Morocco stuff turns into a "Passengers" album, then they may already have.....They had local performers participate in the jam sessions. :hmm: Not Thom Yorke or anything, but...:wink:

Irvine511 said:

And the kinds of emotions many other bands evoke are totally different than anything U2 has ever done.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

said the prog rock fan.

You're right, it is a big world of music out there. Before I got into that big world of music I felt the same way you do. Then I learned that both catchy pop songs with vocals and 20 minute epic instrumental songs that aren't instantly gratifying can be just as emotive as eachother. Music shouldn't be bound by things like length and style.

Back
Top Bottom