Stand Up Comedy: one of the worst ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best.Post.Ever.

You mean the stupidest post ever.

This Songs rocks big time, Yeh some may not like it and its obviously not the best rocking song u2 have done. but this is a great rock/pop tune. all songs cannot be the best they have ever done.

They may be a argument that it doesnt fit the album but then again could say that about boots and crazy tonight (but good songs not the best but still good)

Enjoy STAND UP for what is it, and if you dont like it then thats your loss!

You mean the stupidest post ever.

This Songs rocks big time, Yeh some may not like it and its obviously not the best rocking song u2 have done. but this is a great rock/pop tune. all songs cannot be the best they have ever done.

They may be a argument that it doesnt fit the album but then again could say that about boots and crazy tonight (but good songs not the best but still good)

Enjoy STAND UP for what is it, and if you dont like it then thats your loss!

i will agree that for me, it's more of an issue with the song not fitting the album than it being a bad song. it's not a bad song by any means. it will never be a favorite, but i could point out at least 10-15 songs that are much worse than SUC.

SUC is fine when the break happens then we get a cool solo & Bono chant, but the intro/verse is just too much cheese. I hate when bands force the issue & this song just seems forced right from the first lyric.

"I got to stand up and take a step"

This is what holds NLOTH being a masterpiece. I give it 4.5 out 5, but this one song just doesn't sit well. I have only dislike one other song from U2 this decade and its "Peace On Earth". Again, forcing the issue. Maybe it will rock live.

i will agree that for me, it's more of an issue with the song not fitting the album than it being a bad song. it's not a bad song by any means. it will never be a favorite, but i could point out at least 10-15 songs that are much worse than SUC.

Not that I disagree with you, but I would be interested in hearing which songs are worse?

What ever happened to the riff that was on u2.com where Edge plays a similar thing but went from F# to c....real dark and nasty.....

Why didn't they do something with that????
i assume you're referring to the "larrystuff" clip. if so, YES, that riff was amazing. but what made that clip so great wasn't just the riff, but also the drums and especially the bass. the bass line in that clip was brilliant.

i didn't listen to any of the leaked clips before the album was released so i was expecting something similar to the larrystuff clip when i got to this track on my first listen, and my heart sank when i heard how "safe" the song turned out to be.

it's not that i think SUC is bad, as when it's playing i sing along, etc. it's just that there is no part of it that makes me think, "i really want to listen to stand up comedy right now." and ultimately, i guess that shows how i feel about it.

Not that I disagree with you, but I would be interested in hearing which songs are worse?

Is That All?
Fire
Red Light
The Refugee
Love Rescue Me (though the live version makes up for it)
Babyface
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Playboy Mansion
If God Will Send His Angels
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth
Miracle Drug
All Because Of You
A Man And A Woman

that's 14. :)

This thread makes me sad. SUC is my favorite song off NLOTH, and I can't wait to hear it live. Plus, it's got the best line on the album- "The DNA lotto may have left you smart, but can you stand up to beauty, dictator of the heart."

:rockon:

yes... u2 should have eliminated every radio friendly, catchy song from the album and included nothing but pompous experimental crap.

then they could be like radiohead

honestly... some of you are strange.

instead of Bono mumbling "The Raindrops! The Raindrops!", he could mumble "My Knees! My Knees!"

This is one of my favorite tracks on the album. I still don't understand why theres so much hate. Its just U2 trying a different style.

For me personally:

1-Wake Up Dead Man
2-Miami (my mammy...eww)
3-If you were that Velvet Dress
4-Peace on Earth
5-A man and a woman
6-Crumbs from your Table
7-The Wanderer
8-Wild Honey

The line "God is love, and love is evolutions very best day" is one of the best lines on the album.

Is That All?
Fire
Love Rescue Me (though the live version makes up for it)
Babyface
Some Days Are Better Than Others
If God Will Send His Angels
Miracle Drug
A Man And A Woman

that's 14. :)

These I prefer over SUC.
However I agree that Red Light, Refugee, POE, etc also suck.
But right now I'm just hating SUC.

i know some people dont like goyb but come on u can at least admit that even though u dont like it it doesn't sound as contrived and generic as SUC (which is very upsetting to me as without this song and another good song in its place this album would have been a complete masterpiece ranked higher than JT in my eyes and only behind AB)

In one sense, SUC is U2's way of giving the middle finger to all of those bands who do nothing but produce "standard-" sounding rock songs...with SUC, U2 is basically saying "We can do that, too, and here's how it sounds when a very plain, standard rocker comes out of our studio." There's a level of energy not seen in other bands. I love U2's experimental albums, but I also love it when they shoot straight up the middle as with SUC.

I still don't understand why theres so much hate. Its just U2 trying a different style.
i think the problem lies in the adam clips from U2.com.

if the only thing we had heard was what is on the album, then you probably wouldn't hear quite as much negativity. but when we did hear something that at least seemed to have far more potential, only to have it scrapped for a slightly better version of 'all because of you'... well, it leaves a sour taste. especially when the potential we heard was U2 trying an even more different style. SUC is U2-by-numbers. does that in and of itself make it bad? not at all. but it does mean that at the end of the day, U2 gravitated toward something that many of us feel lacked the spontaneity and life of what it initially sounded like. listen to that "larrystuff" clip again. i would imagine that you'd be hard-pressed to say that the final version of SUC sounds better than what you'll hear in that clip. now granted, maybe U2 would agree with that sentiment, but simply found it too difficult to work a full, cohesive song out of that original material. that happens, and i understand that. but if that's the case, then adam shouldn't be teasing us with great material only to have the final version be a pond compared to an ocean.

Wow, I love this song. Didn't get to me first, but now I jump up every time it starts. I hope they'll release it as a single. I'd prefer it over Crazy Tonight, which, for me, is the weakest song on the album.

I can't wait to hear SUC live :up:

the guitar slide solo was a huge letdown for me on this song. the main riff is pretty good, i like the rythym guitar, you think this great solo is coming and we get.....that. so much for "doing a guitar song and pushing it all the way", right edge?

Edge's guitar work on Crazy Tonight is so much better than on SUC, not to mention Adam's funky bass. if SUC = radio friendly, then i'm going to rip the radio out of my car. stupid rap-like verses, contrived chorus, over-hyped guitar riff, and nothing flows together well. even Babyface has a tight beat and a great bassline. ugh.

Eww, hearing Babyface mentioned in this topic makes me feel less upset over the weakness of SUC. Talk about crap. :sick:

While "Stand Up Comedy" is probably my least favorite song on NLOTH, it's not totally crap. It's supposed to be goofy; if you try to take it too seriously, then you're going to miss the humor, which is the point of the song. I see it as being in the same vein as "Some Days are Better than Others," which is another goofy U2 song. Just lighten up a little! Not everything U2 does can be utterly profound, you know.

Sometimes I think most U2 fans constantly have their shorts in a knot.

I love it.
Wasn't 100% sure at first but now think it rocks big time.
The solo sounds similar to Holy Joe solo to me too :D

I've thought that, too. Sometimes if I have SUC stuck in my head, it kinda merges into "Holy Joe," and then I have it stuck in my head instead.

It's probably my least favorite song on the album, but I like this part:

God is love
And love is evolution's very best day

Soul rockin' people moving on
Soul rockin' people on and on
C'mon ye people
We're made of stars
C'mon ye people
Stand up then sit down for your love

Edge's guitar work on Crazy Tonight is so much better than on SUC, not to mention Adam's funky bass. if SUC = radio friendly, then i'm going to rip the radio out of my car. stupid rap-like verses, contrived chorus, over-hyped guitar riff, and nothing flows together well. ugh.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom